Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I think it was three years ago that i ordered my first Contender. It wasn't my first single shot - I have some H&Rs and Rugers. I found that these carry well and shooting them is a delight.

I just got finished ordering another barrel. This one will be a 223 Wylde chamber, and is coming from MGM. 24 inch, stainless steel (bead blasted) barrel, 1 in 8 twist, Super 16 rifle foreend, full Bull contour (.810).

It will join a 30-30, 7.62x39mm (.308) and a 17 Hornet. The cost in Canuckian dinars is high for a barrel - $670 - but the exchange rate is at 1.35 right now.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Yes they are. Don’t even want to start telling my story

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hey Stev, Bill here. Is there someone in Canada to get complete contender? I've wanted one for awhile but never see any, Epps has never had any that I've seen, & none on line most other places I've looked. Would like one in 17 fireball so probably would have to order the bbl. after I have one in hand. 670.00$$$ for a bbl. but it won't cost much to install, so not so bad?? Have seen Encores but no contender. Thought I might hunt one down in 223 & then order the 17 from MGM , same extractor etc... ! What's the paper work like? Ok just fill it out & (wait)! Bill out. πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I ordered my action from irunguns.ca. I emailed them and they did all the work. I simply told them what I wanted. It took two or three months to receive it. You have to provide your PAL no. and other information.

There are several other businesses that import the actions.

The barrels were all ordered through nine35.ca

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hey, Steve thanks!!!! , Going to get serious about finding one, Thanks again. Bill out. πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Steve, there is no known cure.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Bill,

No problem. You shouldn't have any problems at all. Ron at nine35.ca is a good guy to deal with. He went the extra mile after some problems getting my 7.62x39mm barrel working properly.

Dan,

I really like how they carry and come to the shoulder. You might remember that I had some initial problems with a few minor things - no hinge pin with the action and a Commie barrel (7.62x39mm -.308) with a bad extractor. It also didn't want to line up properly with the hinge pin, but they were corrected. No problems at all with the 30-30 or the 17 Hornet. I expect no trouble with the Wylde chamber. They are fun, accurate and tickle my need for single shots.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...nder-action-wont-open-fully#Post12831618

Thinking about a 357 Max...

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Canuckian dinars. grin I'll have to remember that one.

I only had a mild case of the disease, mainly because I was afflicted (and still am) with Ruger No. 1 Syndrome.
I currently only have 4 barrels for my G1 carbine; no pistol barrels anymore. Two are factory (22 Match, 22 Hornet) and two are from the custom shop (32-20, 357 Max.). It would be hard to part with any of them at this point, even though I don't shoot them as often as I should.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Must be, as much trouble as you go to to get 'em.

I'm going in a different direction. I have a Henry SS .308 in the pipe, and want to see how versatile I can make it using light loads, sabots, and eventually some cast. About 30 years ago I played with SR4759 and 110gr Speer HPs, which were just deadly on a couple of chucks and a big fox. Those bullets are dirt cheap now, so I'm gonna lay in a few and see what happens. Still have that can of 4759, but also a bunch of Trail Boss. .32/20 on the cheap. Also have a couple hundred .22/.308 sabots and the seater. Most who play with those seem to be trying to make a .22/250 out of their .30 cal. I'm thinking of something in the .22 Mag or Hornet range, or even lighter.

Another nifty item is the chamber adapter that guy in Alaska sells. Someone gave me a box of .32 H&R ammo, and I also have plenty of .30 carbine on hand for my as-yet unfired (by me) Underwood.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
You will like the max Steve. Super 14 and carbine barrel here. Cast friendly too. That big old 220gr rn lyman bullet shoots well. Can't remember the number. Not going out in the rain to the shop to check. Maybe later.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Next thing you know the government will mandate stamping a warning on Contenders and Encores......... "WARNING - MAY BE HABIT FORMING".

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Allow me to list a few reasons to avoid having a Contender:

If you have a frame and stock/forend you can have a .....

.30-30
[Linked Image]

Or a .30 Sneezer...
[Linked Image]

Or a .22 RF....or CF...in LR or Short

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It's horrifying I tell you!

They are a dream to tote around all day long, but you may reach a point where you need a barrel bearer and maybe a bullet boy. You have to carry so many different kinds of ammo it can get confusing. If you differentiate with barrel diameters and finish/scope style etc, it helps sort things out. Read awhile back about some poor (really!) fella with 4 frames, six stocks/grips, and 30 barrels! You just know a scope for each barrel is mandatory, right? May Zeus have mercy. I hope they don't repossess his truck.

Only thing I can add, is that after sunset whiskey helps. Or a red dot sight if so disposed...

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Its a shame you haven't learned how to shoot yours well... wink

Last edited by OSU_Sig; 05/31/19.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You mean like this?

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
You mean like this?

[Linked Image]

Sheesh Dan, you missed the target 4 outta 5 times. smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Stuff happens ya know. -Shhhhhh-

I am..........disturbed.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I believe these targets disprove the theory that the man is the nost important part of my shooter's triangle. It obviously must be the gun. laugh

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Now wait just a dang minute there Steve.

[Linked Image]

Ya see, they are all in the black. I was shooting with my eyes closed.

Wait a minute, wrong target. Here ya go.

This my Mod 70 Bobby and everyone knows Mod 70s aren't all that precise. It's 5 shots. At 100 yards. There's 2 groups 'cause a rattler started gnawing on my left ankle after the 3d shot.

[Linked Image]

And will your 10/22 do this? I din't think so.

[Linked Image]

You ever see a bunch of rifles under one roof that would do that? When I told them it's my way or the highway they all quit pouting and knuckled down....

Dan

PS: I just use the Contenders to kill stuff.

I am..........disturbed.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I believe that owners of single shot rifles are generally more intelligent than the rest of the shooting world. Why?

SS users are better shots. They don't need the crutch of multiple cartridges poised as back up. We're not overseas anymo'.
Most are contemplative, not hot heads. They have to because it takes a tiny bit longer to reload and fire...if they even need to.
SS users have a superior ability to assess and act on any hunting situation. They are working without a net so to speak, and must be able to quickly make to the proper decision.
SS users have superior hand/eye coordination. They have to be able to confidently work the action, extract the spent case, reload and fire again without any mechanical help.
SS users are not like lemmings. They don't follow the crowd, pursuing the latest "cool thing".

P.S. I don't own a 10-22. whistle

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a little bit of every kind of gun .I find that shooting my tc pistol two h&r handi rifles a lot more relaxing than the rest .muzzle loaders next

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

404 members (160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 163bc, 36 invisible), 2,613 guests, and 1,017 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,804
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.