Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I've been looking for a leather chest harness to carry my S&W .44 Mountain Gun. I currently have a nylon one that I like, but just think leather would be better. I carry it hunting, horseback riding, and when I'm out for a longer ride in my side by side. All easier with the chest harness than a belt holster. May also be adding a Glock 10mm to the collection as as non concealed carry gun, so I'd like to be able to swap the holster portion itself out. I've looked online at the Diamond D Alskan Guide and the Galco one. Does anyone have any insight or experience with either, or another recommendation?

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

I have a diamond d for my Glock 20 and I really like it. I don’t think the holster portion can be swapped though.

I have a Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake for my Redhawk and one for my Blackhawk that are interchangeable on their Chesty Puller rig.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I carry a Ruger 44 spcl flat top in a Diamond D and really like it. Very good quality leather, plenty of adjustment to wear it with a back pack, and I like the retention system.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I have 2 Diamond D Guide holsters. Best there is IMO>

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I prefer the chest carry for most of my back country activities. Have a variety and like them all. No favorite yet.
I have 2 Diamond D's-1 for my 4 or 5 inch N-frame S&W's and another for 1911's. Great holsters.
I use an El Paso Saddlery Tanker for my Glock 20 and like it as well.
My Hill People Gear chest pack/holster is very nice and carries a bit more than just a full size handgun and a reload or 2.
I also have a Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake for my 4 or 5 inch N-frame S&W's. Plan to get a Chesty Puller rig to go with.
IMHO--All are top quality and handle the heavier firearms well. They each are a bit different in construction and design but well executed and made for their purpose.
I really like the chest carry as you still have your handgun close to hand even when you drop your pack etc, setting up camp, otherwise occupied, but they are pretty much out of the way for most situations.
Some are fairly comfortable even in a sleeping bag.
They can compete a bit for space with your binoc's but so far been able to accommodate both with a little adjustment.

IC B2

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Chumleyhunts
I currently have a nylon one that I like, but just think leather would be better.

Leather sucks up water, stays wet forever, turns green and white, shrinks, and wears the finish on guns.
Other than that, I guess leather is ok.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
yeah, i gues those late 1800 calvary horse scabbards i have, the colt turn of the century saa holster, and a couple of WWI holsters didn't hear that about dipsticks comments.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I been packing the .44 Mountain Gun in a Guides Choice holster by Diamond D for a long time. I usually wear it about 6 weeks a year and can wear it all day. I am ordering another one for a 4" Ruger Redhawk in .45 Colt. I also order the speed loader holder and 6 round cartridge slide with the holster.

They are a first class set up and the gold standard in Alaska and for me they beat the heck out of packing heavy iron on ones hip, especially if one is carrying a back pack and/or wearing rain gear.

Try it, you will like it and look darn good when your packing big iron!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
7x Leather’s (www.7xleather.com) chest rig would be my recommendation. You can comfortably where a pack and bino harness without issue.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
I been packing the .44 Mountain Gun in a Guides Choice holster by Diamond D for a long time. I usually wear it about 6 weeks a year and can wear it all day. I am ordering another one for a 4" Ruger Redhawk in .45 Colt. I also order the speed loader holder and 6 round cartridge slide with the holster.

They are a first class set up and the gold standard in Alaska and for me they beat the heck out of packing heavy iron on ones hip, especially if one is carrying a back pack and/or wearing rain gear.

Try it, you will like it and look darn good when your packing big iron!

I've been wearing both of my S&W Mountain Guns in a Diamond D for years......better than any belt holster!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's one of my 7x rigs.

[Linked Image]

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I use the Chesty Puller Rig from Simply Rugged, it works well, a nice feature is one harness rig can be used with multiple of his holsters.

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
Here's one of my 7x rigs.

[Linked Image]

I like the looks of that. I have a diamond D for my short barreled 45, how do these 7x's do with a 7.5 super Blackhawk?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
7X or DiamondD.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I've got a Simply Rugged for my Glock 40 MOS I really like.

I didn't care for the greenish finish of the Cape Buffalo leather they offered as an upgrade so they stained it a very nice burgundy Ox Blood I see they are also now carrying for the cape buffalo leather, or the traditional greenish color: your choice.

I used the Cuda style holster and once you get all the strapping for the chest carry, you can just get a different holster to change out it as needed. The Cuda is for autos. For a revolver you'd need to go with the sourdough pancake holster.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Simply Rugged's oxblood color is fantastic! For an exotic, I'm real partial to elephant.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i carry my 44MG in a Diamond D Alaskan Guide holster all day and don't even know its there.

My diploma is a DD214
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Dobegrant
I use the Chesty Puller Rig from Simply Rugged, it works well, a nice feature is one harness rig can be used with multiple of his holsters.

Yes and the same holster can be worn on the belt as well.

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Diamond D Guides Choice for a 4" Redhawk in .45 Colt.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bumped up again..

I found a chest holster manufacturer, 2aholsters. If somebody would post the link. They look interesting and for 100$ might be an option for some folks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,633 guests, and 1,068 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,313
Posts18,468,282
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.