Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Finally, a long overdue change. But calling it an "anti-road rage" measure is stupid. The only justification needed is the improvement it could make in traffic flow by getting rid of the rolling road blocks we have now.

Alabama lawmakers pass bill to keep slow drivers out of left lane
By Mike Cason | mcasonal.com

Alabama lawmakers today passed a bill to prohibit driving in the left lane on interstates without passing vehicles.

The bill, dubbed the “anti-road rage act,” passed the Senate today by a 31-1 vote. It had already passed the House.

The bill would prohibit staying in the left lane on interstate highways for more than a mile and a half without passing a vehicle.

It would allow exceptions for traffic congestion, inclement weather, emergency vehicles, and preparing to take a left lane exit.

The sponsor is Rep. Phillip Pettus, a Republican from Lauderdale County and a retired state trooper.

The bill goes to Gov. Kay Ivey, who could sign it into law.

Law enforcement could issue only a warning citation for the first 60 days after the bill became law.

From al.com

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
New York drivers did not bear right ever, hence the Term "New York Driver". It is only common sense to stay to your right and pass on the left, sign of the times when it has to be legislated in.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Unfortunately there has to be a law for this but citations may be the only way to get idiots not to drive like idiots.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Lot of states have a similar law. I've never heard of it being enforced.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If there was ever a state that needed it, it is Alabama. Thats my perspective from lots of time living there.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hooray for Alabama. I hope it works for them.

This is one of my pet peeves. The problem is that I don't think they teach this in driving school anymore or something. Combined with all of the foreigners on the road that don't know any better. MD passed a similar law a couple of years ago, but it only applies to interstate highways with 3 or more lanes in each direction. Nobody knows of this law and I don't think they enforce it either.

If they would just educate the general public with signage, they would probably have better results. They also need to put up signs in Spanish too. The majority of offenders are Hispanic.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Call it the "GTFO of the way aśshole!" bill.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Tyrone

Michigan tries to enforce the "keep righ unless passing" law. Yet morons still move into the left lane and stay there immediately upon entering a freeway.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

In Oklahoma, there are warning signs posted and violators are ticketed.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It won't be enforced.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
So how fas is considered slow? Is 10 over slow? How about 20 over? Is that still slow? So if I’m passing someone and going 80 in doing so, I’m still considered a pain in the ass to the dude that wants to be going 90+. That’s the real a-hole on the road.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
New York drivers did not bear right ever, hence the Term "New York Driver".
Interesting - around here it's known as "MN driver"..
It is only common sense to stay to your right and pass on the left, sign of the times when it has to be legislated in.
The operative words there are "common sense" - severely lacking in a LOT of drivers..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
So how fas is considered slow? Is 10 over slow? How about 20 over? Is that still slow? So if I’m passing someone and going 80 in doing so, I’m still considered a pain in the ass to the dude that wants to be going 90+. That’s the real a-hole on the road.

The problem lies in the a-holes that stay in the left lane after they've made the pass and clog up the left lane. So after you make the pass and move to the right, the dude that's going 90+ can go on his merry way and kill himself when a deer runs out in front of him. If you were to stay in the left lane, Mr. 90+ will have to snake his way around you in the right lane and in between all of the other slower traffic and possibly kill all of you.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by StoneCutter

The problem lies in the a-holes that stay in the left lane after they've made the pass and clog up the left lane. So after you make the pass and move to the right, the dude that's going 90+ can go on his merry way and kill himself when a deer runs out in front of him. If you were to stay in the left lane, Mr. 90+ will have to snake his way around you in the right lane and in between all of the other slower traffic and possibly kill all of you.

I get it. I’m just saying that I shouldn’t have to be obliged to floor it when some a-hole come flying up. I’m certainly glad to move over once the pass is made. I just shouldn’t have to accommodate the pos that is barreling down the road.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yep, usually enforced when a cop needs to meet his "minimum performance standards" (not a quota....NOT).

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

I get it. I’m just saying that I shouldn’t have to be obliged to floor it when some a-hole come flying up. I’m certainly glad to move over once the pass is made. I just shouldn’t have to accommodate the pos that is barreling down the road.

Good post.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Truckers are the worst and most frustrating left lane bandits. They seem to wait until you are just about to pass them (with absolutely nobody behind you,) then they dart over into the left lane, (requiring you to brake hard,) usually on a long uphill grade, and drive side by side with another 18-wheeler for miles before finally overtaking the rig and moving over. Total dumb asses IMO.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Exactly what I was going to say! I have people get mad at me all the time for driving in the left lane, because even though I AM passing traffic in the right lane, I'm just not doing it as fast as they would like. I don't like to go more than 5 over the speed limit, and where I live the interstate is 70 mph, so I'll do 75 in the left lane, and maybe will bump it up to 76-77, to try to placate someone who comes up behind me like we're on a racetrack. But I refuse to go any faster and I also refuse to move over into traffic on the right that's going a lot slower than I want to go. What many people don't seem to realize is that the speed limit still applies to the left lane.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
The problem, from my perspective, is in the sanctimonious old a’holes out in the left lane who are going 4 mph faster than the line of slow movers they’re creeping by, getting a line built up behind them of people trying to move at reasonable 2019 speeds and have the attitude, “Nobody needs to be going faster than I am.”

Mathew 22: 37-39

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Nor should you have to immediately move back into the right lane by unsafely squeezing between two bumpers while passing a bunch of slow movers either. The typical 95+ mph tailgater believes you either must risk a ticket speeding or immediately move to the right lane when it is unsafe to do so. They can't see past their perceived gross inconvenience of having to slow down even a little for the time it takes someone moving slower than them to pass a truly slow group in the right lane. Just because there is enough room for a car to physically fit between two cars in the right lane totally ignores maintaining an assured distance from the car in front. Never mind if that car in front in the right lane brakes for whatever reason while trying to squeeze in, causing a rear end collision.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (160user, 11point, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 69 invisible), 2,752 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,334
Posts18,468,628
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.