Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Hudge Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So, I've been ordering parts for an AR build for when I return home in less than 8 weeks now. I am a defense contractor in Afghanistan and our internet we use is piped in from Brussels. Anyways, I use a VPN for all my internet browsing. I needed one more part to complete my AR build and I saw that Optics Planet had a Fab Defense butt stock on sale that I wanted so I placed an order. The order was less than $45 S&H to AK. Well, not so fast. I got a nice email yesterday form Optics Planet saying they needed some answers on why I ordered an ITAR regulated item from a foreign country. I answered there four questions and explained that the stock would be shipped to my house in Alaska per the order, I would be the user of the product, and that the part would not be exported out of the US. Now, I have a reply back from them saying I need to fill out ITAR Compliance Certification paperwork or they will not ship the butt stock. I commend them on doing their job, but honestly this is a load for one single butt stock. If I was going to smuggle weapons illegally, I definitely would have bought more than one single AR butt stock. I have ordered all my parts to date through the same internet provider using the same VPN with no issues. I honestly thought maybe I messed up and put my APO address on it by mistake, but it's my home address back in Alaska. Anyone else had this issue? By the way, they want me to print, sign, scan and then email the form back to them. I do not have access to a scanner here, so I doubt it's going to be done. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Hudge; 05/29/19.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Print the paperwork out, fill it out, take a picture of it, and e-mail them the picture.

It's pretty stupid for companies to use an IP address as a red flag, when the shipping address is totally compliant, IMHO.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Print the paperwork out, fill it out, take a picture of it, and e-mail them the picture.

It's pretty stupid for companies to use an IP address as a red flag, when the shipping address is totally compliant, IMHO.

Given the consequences for them of an ITAR violation it's a caution that they have to take. Is the whole thing stupid? Yep, but having had to deal with it the last 20+ years it's a byzantine nightmare of a regulation where the violations mean death to your company even if you didn't mean to.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Let hillary sell them. She will not go to jail.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

378 members (16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 17CalFan, 260madman, 41 invisible), 2,797 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,590
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.