Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The 24hourcampfire was originally conceived as a website for the free exchange of information, ideas, and opinions with the least amount of moderation or censorship possible and has achieved that goal admirably in my opinion.

But, allowing the practice of the words of a post being changed by anyone other than the Originator of the post, with no indication that a change was made, defeats the very premise on which the website was founded.

I’ll not be posting as long as this practice is allowed.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The quote feature is part of the software, and I don’t even know if it can be turned off. If it could, would we really want to?

Unfortunately, no software is perfect.

We might have to approach it in a different manner. Clearly, the original post is always there for reference. There are lots of things the Fire’s membership is excellent at calling out. Maybe this could be one of them.

Taking the entire functionality away because a small few may abuse seems a bit strong, no?

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I will sometimes make a change, which I highlight in red, along with a connotation, for the purpose of humor. I never do it to make a serious change in the original intent.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickBin
The quote feature is part of the software, and I don’t even know if it can be turned off. If it could, would we really want to?

We might have to approach it in a different manner. Clearly, the original post is always there for reference. There are lots of things the Fire’s membership is excellent at calling out. Maybe this could be one of them.

Taking the entire functionality away because a small few may abuse seems a bit strong, no?

The quote feature is invaluable, and I see no problem with using it and adding comments behind the original sentence or paragraph.... we’ve done that for years.

But.... if someone is scrolling through a thread for responses and sees one attributed to me that bears no resemblance to anything I’ve posted..... that’s not plagiarism, it’s slander. I recently saw it done to TRH, and - while I’m no fan of his - I respect his right to be accountable ONLY for words he typed.

I see it as a problem best addressed by a thread on the Campfire forum by the Webmaster, saying the practice will not be tolerated. No threats of punishment would be necessary, I believe. Just let the juvenile practicers know that it is a “ bridge too far “.

Last edited by curdog4570; 05/29/19. Reason: Misspelled

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Apparently you don’t understand what is happening..... there is no “ original post” to refer to. Just a post attributed to a person who had no hand in typing it.

If you do understand and don’t see it as a problem meriting your attention, that’s your business.

Choosing not to post on the ‘fire is my way of dealing with it.

I wish you well.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by curdog4570
But, allowing the practice of the words of a post being changed by anyone other than the Originator of the post, with no indication that a change was made, defeats the very premise on which the website was founded.
I’ll not be posting as long as this practice is allowed.

Therefore, there is an original post (for reference) - The original post can not be altered by anyone other than the author !

Apparently you don’t understand what is happening..... there is no “ original post” to refer to. Just a post attributed to a person who had no hand in typing it.

If you do understand and don’t see it as a problem meriting your attention, that’s your business.

Choosing not to post on the ‘fire is my way of dealing with it.

I wish you well.

Sorry, but you have contradicted yourself again.

Perhaps, look objectively, not emotionally !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is this last we’ll ever read from the Curdog, May 30th 2019?

I highly doubt it...😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S[quote=Beaver10 looks like curdog is right.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Damn....Looks like I better do something to fix this.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can roller skate in a buffalo herd.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S[quote=Beaver10 looks like curdog is right.

Then someone is posting under your avatar here and in the classifieds. More things to worry about, I guess. 😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I believe he's talking about creating a false quote from thin air as well as modifying an actual post. You can use the quote HTML tags and create an entire post that the quoted person never said. They don't even have to be on the thread.

Originally Posted by Beaver10
One score years ago, Rick Bin created on the internet a site dedicated to the proposition that...

Originally Posted by The Real Donald Trump
Jim in Idaho is the greatest guy in the entire world. He taught me everything I know about business and politics - but not everything he knows!

Originally Posted by The Real Melania Trump
^^ This. Plus, he's the most prodigious and well endowed lover I've ever had. OMG, the man is a sex machine!

Btw, the last two are genuine, unaltered quotes. I only posted them as a contrast to the made up post using Beaver10's handle.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
You one funny sumbish!

Last edited by ironbender; 06/06/19. Reason: Spelening

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I believe he's talking about creating a false quote from thin air as well as modifying an actual post. You can use the quote HTML tags and create an entire post that the quoted person never said. They don't even have to be on the thread.

One score years ago, Rick Bin created on the internet a site dedicated to the proposition that...

Jim in Idaho is the greatest guy in the entire world. He taught me everything I know about business and politics - but not everything he knows!

^^ This. Plus, he's the most prodigious and well endowed lover I've ever had. OMG, the man is a sex machine!

Btw, the last two are genuine, unaltered quotes. I only posted them as a contrast to the made up post using Beaver10's handle.

Hey, wait a minute. There are no members on here with those names...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

What frick’n idiot would want to make up a “fake” quote on a member? That would be easy enough to prove the dishonest intentions.

I have seen on many occasions some creative quotes highlighted to malign a members words. That too is easy to remedy.

I do see you’re point...I figured someone other than DJT was tapping Melania. Good on you Jim! 😜😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I can ski down Mt. Everest backwards without spilling my beer.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

But do you leave three tracks like Jim?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

But can you do it with a girl on each arm like Jim?

Yes, of course.

I am..........disturbed.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by DigitalDan2
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
[quote=DigitalDan]I can ski down Mt. Everest backwards without spilling my beer.

But can you do it with a girl on each arm like Jim?

Yes, of course. All the Federales say, they could have had me any day, they only let me slip away, out of kindness, I suppose...

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FatCity67
I am a meat popsicle

Fuqk you no I'm not

Originally Posted by FatCity67
STFU you muff munching man squid

Im telling Mom.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

589 members (10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 257 roberts, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,181 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,796
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.