Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 22 of 22 1 2 20 21 22
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Stilllearning
This has been one of the best and most informotive threads I’ve ever read.
I am plannng for a late season elk hunt next year (December 2).
Is anyone using a Cabelas mt050 light weight packable rain jacket as their weatherproof layer.
How well would it work, and if so what would be a good insulating layer to wear under it ?

I have that jacket and like it alot for certain purposes, it's a rain coat.

I don't think it enters into the equation on a Dec late hunt.

far better choices else where.

I'm curious, a rain jacket in late season?

you expecting rain, or wind?

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
So then do you not incorporate a Goretex waterproof shell, or some other waterproof/ Windproof shell into your system ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

sure, love a good windstop layer, but not a rain jacket late season.

I use that jacket in the boat for fishing, open water warmer temps into early fall.

I did pack it in once at 10,000 feet to try to do exactly what you wanted. Colorado Rifle Elk mid October, it was iffy at best, which is why I'm also on this thread looking for options.

I believe there are better windstop outer layer's with more warmth. I don't believe goretex is the best windstopper nor necessary for cold temps with zero chance of rain.

Would it suffice has a do it all, I guess.

I believe windstop breathes better than goretex with both being wind resistant.

Those who think different, feel free to speak up.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I apologize if this has already been posted. I've read this whole thread but it's been a while and dont remember seeing this video of a podcast with Jason Hairston and his take on synthetics vs merino.

https://youtu.be/bGs0cqwJh8E

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Curious as to how the folks here think the Kuiu superdown pants would compare to the FL Uncompahgre pants? I have the Uncompahgre pants, but the superdown ultra's are 10 oz lighter.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Windstopper is definitely more breathable and quieter than GoreTex, in my experience. And it shuts the wind down completely.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Anyone have experience with the outdoor research colossus parka?

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Last year I did some research and ended up buying the "Tailwind Puffy" from Thlete. It is body mapped with primaloft gold, has a DWR finish, a nice hood, and the camo is effective to boot. They were on sale when I bought mine and it quickly became my favorite go to jacket for hunting late in the year here in PA. Thlete is a fairly small company but a quick search will bring up their web site. I have zero affiliation with them other than really liking their product. It was exactly what I was looking for in a synthetic insulated puffy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Being somewhat cheap I buy all of my puffies from the local Columbia outlet store. A few have been surprisingly excellent in the sometimes brutally cold Minnesota Winters.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by extremesolo
Last year I did some research and ended up buying the "Tailwind Puffy" from Thlete. It is body mapped with primaloft gold, has a DWR finish, a nice hood, and the camo is effective to boot. They were on sale when I bought mine and it quickly became my favorite go to jacket for hunting late in the year here in PA. Thlete is a fairly small company but a quick search will bring up their web site. I have zero affiliation with them other than really liking their product. It was exactly what I was looking for in a synthetic insulated puffy.

I like the looks of that jacket, except the hideous camo. Bummer they don't offer a solid option. What types of temperatures/layering are you using with it?

IC B3

Page 22 of 22 1 2 20 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 75 invisible), 3,022 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,336
Posts18,468,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.