Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Wonder how'd it perform with some hard cast bullets?

MAGA! This is the way!
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HawkI
Resurrecting the defunct .351 SL, upping the pressure and dropping bullet weight doesn't sound very legendary, since game laws are the only real reason for it existing.

Better options for low recoil rounds if you aren't mandated with sillyness.

222's and 223's kill deer sized stuff all day long, many in trim packages.
But we knew that.

Politics is War by Other Means
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Resurrecting the defunct .351 SL, upping the pressure and dropping bullet weight doesn't sound very legendary, since game laws are the only real reason for it existing.

I have shot and seen shot deer with fast 22s. I am not impressed. Of the deer I have seen killed with only one shot was a head shot and heart shot. The heart shot deer kept walking like nothing happened until it fell over. 2 season ago my son shot his first deer with a .223. 4 rounds later, all of which should have been killing shots, the deer finally just fell over. Little internal damage and lacked penetration. I have yet to see a deer shot from a bigger diameter bullet act the same way or have the same erratic results.

Having said that I am willing to try the 52g TSX in the .223 if something else doesn't work out.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I just received my Ruger Ranch in 350. I haven’t had it out yet due to the extremely wet weather but it would seem to be proportioned for a young hunter depending on how the stock fits her. It certainly is a light-weight. A scope gets it up roughly to the +/- 7 lb range.

I can’t imagine that the 350 L would cause too much ruckus in that weight rifle as it’s just a “lengthened 357 mag.” Even with the very stubby barrel I think it will serve well in the 150-200 yard range with one of the loads Win shows for it.

Its not .357" bullets are .355" (9mm).....not many good .355"bullets out there now.....I see it as a mistake like the 348 Winchester and 351 Winchester Self-Loader only Winchester is making ammo, bullets and brass....handloaders for now only proper custom bullets are available....there's no other cartridge you can form brass from.....

Winchester would have been smarter if they would have made it .357".....Clymer is making reamers to use .357" barrels......

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by coyotewacker

I just received my Ruger Ranch in 350. I haven’t had it out yet due to the extremely wet weather but it would seem to be proportioned for a young hunter depending on how the stock fits her. It certainly is a light-weight. A scope gets it up roughly to the +/- 7 lb range.

I can’t imagine that the 350 L would cause too much ruckus in that weight rifle as it’s just a “lengthened 357 mag.” Even with the very stubby barrel I think it will serve well in the 150-200 yard range with one of the loads Win shows for it.

Its not .357" bullets are .355" (9mm).....not many good .355"bullets out there now.....I see it as a mistake like the 348 Winchester and 351 Winchester Self-Loader only Winchester is making ammo, bullets and brass....handloaders for now only proper custom bullets are available....there's no other cartridge you can form brass from.....

Winchester would have been smarter if they would have made it .357".....Clymer is making reamers to use .357" barrels......

SAAMI spec says .357........as does Winchester.......

And the 348 is no mistake.........mine has been working for 77 years. Just sayin

Last edited by 257_X_50; 06/12/19.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
.I see it as a mistake like the 348 Winchester and 351 Winchester Self-Loader only Winchester is making ammo, bullets and brass....

Hornady has added it.

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Where are you seeing the .355 vs .357 specs?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Pahntr760

Where are you seeing the .355 vs .357 specs?

I have pulled bullets and other people from Winchester 145 gr. FMJ bullets measure .355".......order a barrel from X-Caliber it will be .346" bore/.355" groove and every other custom barrel maker....

.https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/350-Legend-CC-Drawing-Website.pdf

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Ha! Maybe I'm a bit biased for some reason, but the .348 was, IMO, hardly a mistake, with a 20-year run and still a number of happy users, though sadly not me at present. Time ran out on the rifle for a couple of reasons, but when it came out, handloading wasn't much of a factor in the market.

Not sure why they went 9mm on this one, but you can bet there's a reason, and again handloading considerations likely aren't on their radar for their rather small target market- deer hunters in areas with restrictions on rifle cartridges, not Loonies.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Ha! Maybe I'm a bit biased for some reason, but the .348 was, IMO, hardly a mistake, with a 20-year run and still a number of happy users, though sadly not me at present. Time ran out on the rifle for a couple of reasons, but when it came out, handloading wasn't much of a factor in the market.

Not sure why they went 9mm on this one, but you can bet there's a reason, and again handloading considerations likely aren't on their radar for their rather small target market- deer hunters in areas with restrictions on rifle cartridges, not Loonies.

I suspect they went .355 to get a couple more thousands case taper for extraction, feed.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds good to me!

While I need another rifle like I need another winky, I'm thinking maybe a re-bored Howa Mine .223 would make a nice little woods-walker, though .223s are perfectly legal here for everything.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Oh, I don't know. There were these twins in Baltimore for whom a second winky would've come in handy that night...

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

I have shot and seen shot deer with fast 22s. I am not impressed. Of the deer I have seen killed with only one shot was a head shot and heart shot. The heart shot deer kept walking like nothing happened until it fell over. 2 season ago my son shot his first deer with a .223. 4 rounds later, all of which should have been killing shots, the deer finally just fell over. Little internal damage and lacked penetration. I have yet to see a deer shot from a bigger diameter bullet act the same way or have the same erratic results.

Having said that I am willing to try the 52g TSX in the .223 if something else doesn't work out.

As you noted, BULLETS! I've had quartering pass throughs on hogs with the TSX, while obvious varmint class .224 bullets fail, since they were made to fly apart. Lacking penetration lands squarely on the bullet design.

I'd take a 222 class cartridge with a bullet that digs WAY before buying some niche, expensive goofball creation that will penetrate less than a stellar .224 bullet.
Practice with the 222 class is on the cheap as well, if you are inclined.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

As you noted, BULLETS! I've had quartering pass throughs on hogs with the TSX, while obvious varmint class .224 bullets fail, since they were made to fly apart. Lacking penetration lands squarely on the bullet design.

I'd take a 222 class cartridge with a bullet that digs WAY before buying some niche, expensive goofball creation that will penetrate less than a stellar .224 bullet.
Practice with the 222 class is on the cheap as well, if you are inclined.

Most of the bullets were varmint type bullets years ago, but the ones my son used were Winchester 64g Power Points. I have read good things about the TSX in the fast 22s and have some ready to load. If I use them I will be the one shooting them so my daughter doesn't have bad results on her 1st deer should they not work well.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have pulled bullets and other people from Winchester 145 gr. FMJ bullets measure .355".......order a barrel from X-Caliber it will be .346" bore/.355" groove and every other custom barrel maker....
2 thou is nothing as long as the throat isn't tight.

Politics is War by Other Means
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
686 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 2,734 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,639
Posts18,398,984
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.