Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I never wear a knife on my belt, always in my pack or my tool pocket on my leg...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I prefer a smaller fixed blade, particularly when hunting is involved, closer to a 3" blade. They seem to hang from the belt, and/or also inside a rear pocket, without binding or getting in the way.
I had the good fortune of knowing an old knife maker that made several of these smaller, but "pretty" knives out of a great tool steel that I have used for a number of Christmas presents. I have noticed that they actually get used.
I also carry some sort of small saw, usually some sort of folder, that goes into a pack or a pocket. I continue to be amazed how often I use these, and how easy they can make some jobs, ex. splitting a pelvis bone.
Kershaw used to make an interesting Trade a Blade package, included a hunting blade, filet blade, and a saw. Over the years, production shifted to Japan, then China. Quality & details went down with each change. Spent 50 nights camping around Alaska some years ago. One of the old ones did all the work I needed.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When hunting big game I carry my sheath knife in my pack. I've made and purchased sheath knives without belt loops. I carry a pocket knife in addition to the sheath knife. The pocket knife is used to cut fur and the sheath knife does the boning work. I won't tolerate banging my rifle stock against a knife and I have never been able to avoid it while wearing a blade on my belt.

I have experienced two folding knife failures in the field, both Japanese Kershaw knives. I was able to complete the task with a broken lock mechanism. I see no reason to carry more than 2 knives but always have extra knives back at the truck or in camp. My brother field dressed a buck with a broken piece of glass, I should be able to get by with 2 quality knives.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Maybe you guys can help me. I'm a complete green horn in the knife knowledge world...for the last few years I've carried a 3 3/4" blade sheath knife, 4" wood oval handle (easily takes ugly knife with oak leaf cluster award). A pawn shop find, marked Sandvik, laminated steel, Sweden. Prolly worth 5 bucks on a good day, but, best knife I've ever owned for keeping an edge, so it's valuable to me. We all know what dirty elk hair and such does to an edge, this thing just keeps going. OK great...how the hell do you sharpen that center lamination. It just glides over an old good quality oilstone. I have a "Work-Sharp" belt sander but it wants to grind off the high carbon outer laminates too aggressively. It leaves funny shiny streaks on my ceramic kitchen knife hone. Do I need to buy a diamond stone? Stroke into the knife edge or away from the edge.? I am a dull fellow.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Stroke into the knife edge or away from the edge.? I am a dull fellow." Stone into the edge; strop away from the edge. Attempt to make the finest slice possible into the stone, when finishing uses a very light pressure.

Your "$5 knife" sound to be worth a whole lot more than 5 bucks. It has very good steel and sharpening very good steel is difficult for the novice. Start with a heavier grit, 120-ish, until you feather the edge which is easy to snag with a finger nail. Generate a feather along the entire edge with the heavy grit before moving onto 240-ish. My working knives never see anything finer than 240 grit.

Your Work Sharp should work. Reduce the cutting pressure and give it more time. Again, generate a feather/burr along the entire edge before going to a lighter grit.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Thanks for the help Boise. Sounds like I am trying to use too fine of grit for one thing. Put a new 120 belt on the Work Sharp and will try to get your feather edge and go from there. Totally off topic, I have a beautiful old (1920's?) Collins double bitted falling axe that is so hard, it rings when you hit a knot, a good Nicholson file just slides off it. So, same general technique you think?

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I have a beautiful old (1920's?) Collins double bitted falling axe that is so hard, it rings when you hit a knot, a good Nicholson file just slides off it. So, same general technique you think?

Nah.......
[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I carry belt knives on my belt.

Who'da thunk. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

I keep a Griptilian clipped to my bino pack, where its right there and ready. I also wear either a Grohmann #1 or #2 on my belt. There's also a much trusted J A Henckels fixed blade hunter that has earned a permanent ride in my pack.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Unless I'm missing something it seems like the split here is between those who backpack hunt and those who don't?

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Thanks for the help Boise. Sounds like I am trying to use too fine of grit for one thing. Put a new 120 belt on the Work Sharp and will try to get your feather edge and go from there. Totally off topic, I have a beautiful old (1920's?) Collins double bitted falling axe that is so hard, it rings when you hit a knot, a good Nicholson file just slides off it. So, same general technique you think?

Yes, in general. But you'll want a convex edge. Look for a set of sharpening pucks. Or if you're going to turn the old axe into a user then consider using a fine grit grinder of sorts, like Huntsman posted but a newer version maybe more available. I take a Dremel to my user splitting maul that has a "harder than file" edge. This will take away a lot of the collector's value but then if you use the hell out of it, it won't be much of a collector piece.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The Work Sharp does create a slightly convex edge.
Basically you are removing metal against a slack belt.
The hard side of the fixture is opposite the side being ground.
Might be a bit of a learning curve doing an axe head though.

I could probably make up a couple "Work Sharp" 120 grit Ceramic belts for harder than heck steel.
------A fringe benefit of my part time job.
I may have to try that twist on some M4 at 63/64 Rc although aluminum oxide seemed work ok on that .
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 51 invisible), 2,647 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,565
Posts18,453,783
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.