Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've been looking at and considering an AR as a general use carbine.

The first 2 AR15 style rifles listed on Grab-a-gun's page are the Ruger for $479 and a S&W for $499. . I couldn't get GAG's comparison tool to work, but they look about identical.

Thoughts on either or both of these as general use carbines?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

ARIC

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

"Chances Will Be Taken"

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I'm not an AR expert but I have put together a couple, and shot them quite a bit over the last few years. Both came from Palmetto State Armory. Both of mine were built from parts kits/stripped lowers/complete uppers. First, I'd say consider building one with a kit and stripped lower. Easy, fun, and you'll know how it all works when you're done. Plus you can save money and get exactly what you want.

I've shot both S&W and Ruger ARs and have friends that have owned a few examples. They are functional and all around decent rifles. The price you found looks good.

But I think you can do better for the same cost, or even less. If I wanted an all around good shooting rifle (not for competition or to carry into combat) and didn't want to build it, I would buy this complete upper https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-5-56-nato-1-7-nit-13-5-mlok-w-nibr-bcg-mbus-ss.html
and complete lower https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...-edition-odg-no-magazine-5165457977.html
and stick them together.

Total cost $450, free shipping, everything except mags and ammo. There are MANY more options and infinite ways to configure if you build yourself. Just an FYI that upper has a light contour "pencil" barrel, which you might want or not, but it comes with some nice components at a great price.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by johnw

Either will work well. I tend to prefer one with standard parts and, I understand, each of those has some proprietary parts.
But, I'd recommend getting one and enjoying it.

A name brand will tend to hold its value better than a put-together or build.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have the upper CORDrew linked to.

As he said, $450 all up and it shoots as well as Mrs Walter’s Daniel Defense at 40% or less of the cost.

And weighs a few oz less, similarly configured.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Have to agree with g5m that a bigger name brand will hold resale value better than PSA, but I think PSA has the edge in components/materials for the price. Also, like David, I have the upper that I linked to (identical except I got the stainless barrel instead of nitride) and it is a great shooter. Also PSA's "EPT" trigger is head and shoulders better than Ruger or S&W, and accuracy/consistency benefits of free float handguard

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Well after reading all the Bear Creek bashing,once again it's been reinforced to me,that alot of you self-proclaimed experts on here don't know as much as you think.I bought a BCA 7.62x39 carbine 2 weeks ago for $390 including ffl fees.Maybe I lucked-up and got a good one.If so,so did about half dozen of my buddies,but it easily shoots 1moa.It's not rocket science or luck building a rifle that will shoot.Just like bolt guns,there's alot of cheap ar's out there that will shoot.And I have some cash left-over for ammo...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by David_Walter
I have the upper CORDrew linked to.

As he said, $450 all up and it shoots as well as Mrs Walter’s Daniel Defense at 40% or less of the cost.

And weighs a few oz less, similarly configured.

Yessir, at that price, that's a helluva deal...............and for that price, if it needs an upgrade of any kind, it's still very cheap. Not a high end precision rifle, but plenty serviceable.

MM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bull64
Well after reading all the Bear Creek bashing,once again it's been reinforced to me,that alot of you self-proclaimed experts on here don't know as much as you think.I bought a BCA 7.62x39 carbine 2 weeks ago for $390 including ffl fees.Maybe I lucked-up and got a good one.If so,so did about half dozen of my buddies,but it easily shoots 1moa.It's not rocket science or luck building a rifle that will shoot.Just like bolt guns,there's alot of cheap ar's out there that will shoot.And I have some cash left-over for ammo...

Sounds like a good candidate for the black rifle challenge here. I dont know which "self proclaimed experts" you are talking about, but i trust a lot of the guys here that have proven their schit actually shoots moa, vs the guys spouting off their cheap builds do it. I guess you could always show us... i had a chance to buy a BCA last month for $300.00, but at the time there was a lot of bad press. Not just at this site, but elsewhere.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Sounds like a good candidate for the black rifle challenge here. I dont know which "self proclaimed experts" you are talking about, but i trust a lot of the guys here that have proven their schit actually shoots moa, vs the guys spouting off their cheap builds do it. I guess you could always show us... i had a chance to buy a BCA last month for $300.00, but at the time there was a lot of bad press. Not just at this site, but elsewhere.

Yes, Bull 64, by all means, please shoot some 10 shot groups at 100 yards & show us whatcha got there.

MM

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The market is flooded with AR15s and probably will be for awhile, I say just make up your mind on what make you want and shop around. Patience is the key

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I do not like the bolt carrier that Ruger is, or was using. So when I think Ruger I feel I need to add 60-$80 for a replacement.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by gunzo
I do not like the bolt carrier that Ruger is, or was using. So when I think Ruger I feel I need to add 60-$80 for a replacement.

Might not have to be patient for long.

Five weeks to the 4th of July sales.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jericho
The market is flooded with AR15s and probably will be for awhile, I say just make up your mind on what make you want and shop around. Patience is the key

Yes, I have been seeing more and more builds being sold dirt cheap too. They are advertised like "custom ar priced to sell", "AR reduced for quick sell", "custom precision built AR, never shot, selling dirt cheap".... Etc. etc.... It's a buyers market right now... I've also seen some real nice A2 style older Hbar rifles for sale for sub $500.00 as well... I damn near snagged a couple, but alas, probably not a great idea to just buy all the ones you see just because they are a damn good deal??? I do get a kick out of all the "Custom" AR's I've been seeing for cheap though. I guess that's better wording than I built this thing from a cheap azzed mod1 sales or PSA kit in momma's basement....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Had a similar conversation this morning. Buddy of mine works with a few guys that are quite sure their "custom" builds are just as good as anything else out there. Never mind that they never shoot these sub $400 creations.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unfortunately, the times of hoarding and inflated prices are not over,
just on a pause.

We will have a Demonrat President again.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LGS here in the valley has two racks full of used AR’s ranging from pieced together stuff to sigsauer AR’s. Low end price $400 plus to high of $1000 plus. But i will never buy a used AR I seen what people do with them at range. One 30 round magazine after another barrel screaming for mercy. When I can just buy parts kit stripped lower from psa be into the build for less than $400. Majority of folks who own these AR’s are not shooting matches with them. They are shooting ball ammo and could give two chits about groups at a 100yds. In the good ol US Army we do a 25meter zero for 300 meters and our carbines/rifles are ready to go.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Unfortunately, the times of hoarding and inflated prices are not over,
just on a pause.

We will have a Demonrat President again.

wash your mouth out

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I think you should definitely use that leftover money to buy ammo. Let us know how long that BCA gun lasts.

But that’s what those budget assemblers bank on....The guys shooting $400 guns aren’t the guys shooting enough rounds, with high enough expectations, to ever find out the guns suck.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TWR
Had a similar conversation this morning. Buddy of mine works with a few guys that are quite sure their "custom" builds are just as good as anything else out there. Never mind that they never shoot these sub $400 creations.

It all depends on what you want or need to do.

I can build a reliable gun for 500 or less. Might not be Krieger accurate but would be reliable. Will take a bit of elbow grease obviously.

That said I've never shot a 400 buck one in a match. But we do have a couple of them around 500 parted together for vehicle guns and I'd stake my life on either one any day.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
150 members (257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 673, 18 invisible), 1,917 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,659
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.