Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by Bull64
Well after reading all the Bear Creek bashing,once again it's been reinforced to me,that alot of you self-proclaimed experts on here don't know as much as you think.I bought a BCA 7.62x39 carbine 2 weeks ago for $390 including ffl fees.Maybe I lucked-up and got a good one.If so,so did about half dozen of my buddies,but it easily shoots 1moa.It's not rocket science or luck building a rifle that will shoot.Just like bolt guns,there's alot of cheap ar's out there that will shoot.And I have some cash left-over for ammo...

I think you should definitely use that leftover money to buy ammo. Let us know how long that BCA gun lasts.

But that’s what those budget assemblers bank on....The guys shooting $400 guns aren’t the guys shooting enough rounds, with high enough expectations, to ever find out the guns suck.

So how many rounds does take it for the cheap ones break?

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TWR
Had a similar conversation this morning. Buddy of mine works with a few guys that are quite sure their "custom" builds are just as good as anything else out there. Never mind that they never shoot these sub $400 creations.

It all depends on what you want or need to do.

I can build a reliable gun for 500 or less. Might not be Krieger accurate but would be reliable. Will take a bit of elbow grease obviously.

That said I've never shot a 400 buck one in a match. But we do have a couple of them around 500 parted together for vehicle guns and I'd stake my life on either one any day.
Well after reading all the Bear Creek bashing,once again it's been reinforced to me,that alot of you self-proclaimed experts on here don't know as much as you think.I bought a BCA 7.62x39 carbine 2 weeks ago for $390 including ffl fees.Maybe I lucked-up and got a good one.If so,so did about half dozen of my buddies,but it easily shoots 1moa.It's not rocket science or luck building a rifle that will shoot.Just like bolt guns,there's alot of cheap ar's out there that will shoot.And I have some cash left-over for ammo...

What are your reloads? I'm always keeping x39 reload data thats good for moa or less. Ball ammo sure won't do that.

OTOH having had bad barrels from even top names, that were getting close to opening up to 3/4 plus MOA, when the normal ones would hover at .5 moa, less for fewer shots in the group... LOL, there are bad barrels and they often come in batches.

To say bear creek is always good is nuts. To say always bad about the same...

Then there are accuracy parameters. I sent a TC barrel back once, they shot it and said it gave 4-5 inch groups at 100, I said yes, exactly. They said thats acceptable. So I junked the TC tube and put a green mountain tube on and was shooting around 1.5 inches with honking slugs at 100 with iron sights.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
something aint' right with my posts tonight. LOL its not me. Could be Talkeetna internet though..LOL. Double post, WTF

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by TWR
Had a similar conversation this morning. Buddy of mine works with a few guys that are quite sure their "custom" builds are just as good as anything else out there. Never mind that they never shoot these sub $400 creations.

I can build a reliable gun for 500 or less. Might not be Krieger accurate but would be reliable. Will take a bit of elbow grease obviously.

That said I've never shot a 400 buck one in a match. But we do have a couple of them around 500 parted together for vehicle guns and I'd stake my life on either one any day.

What are your reloads? I'm always keeping x39 reload data thats good for moa or less. Ball ammo sure won't do that.

OTOH having had bad barrels from even top names, that were getting close to opening up to 3/4 plus MOA, when the normal ones would hover at .5 moa, less for fewer shots in the group... LOL, there are bad barrels and they often come in batches.

Then there are accuracy parameters. I sent a TC barrel back once, they shot it and said it gave 4-5 inch groups at 100, I said yes, exactly. They said thats acceptable. So I junked the TC tube and put a green mountain tube on and was shooting around 1.5 inches with honking slugs at 100 with iron sights.

Exactly it’s always great to see the AR snobs falling out of the roof. At one time a colt made m4 carbine cost the us army about $400 bucks.. i haven’t ran nsn for one in yrs, all the colt made m4 have been turned in up here in our BCT and replaced with FN made m4 carbines.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I think you should definitely use that leftover money to buy ammo. Let us know how long that BCA gun lasts.

But that’s what those budget assemblers bank on....The guys shooting $400 guns aren’t the guys shooting enough rounds, with high enough expectations, to ever find out the guns suck.

You just have to love speculation...
Y'all enjoy your discussion.It's too deep for my boots...

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 79S

So how many rounds does take it for the cheap ones break?

I’ve seen as few as 100 or closer to 1000.

That’s what makes them so exciting, you just never know when they’ll crash on you.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
something aint' right with my posts tonight. LOL its not me. Could be Talkeetna internet though..LOL. Double post, WTF

Ha ha, i was hoping you werent going old and senile laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by TWR

Exactly it’s always great to see the AR snobs falling out of the roof. At one time a colt made m4 carbine cost the us army about $400 bucks.. i haven’t ran nsn for one in yrs, all the colt made m4 have been turned in up here in our BCT and replaced with FN made m4 carbines.

Well I guess I am an AR snob but being in a mechanical business, I've seen plenty of guys who can't start a nut without cross threading it. It's not always the substance of parts that make them cheap but the quality behind the guys building the parts and putting them together.

Never seen a contract awarded for an M4 that equalled $400, I think when Remington cut everyone's throat a few years back it was around $600. But then again I had a buddy that bought an M16 A1 for less than $200 back in the day.

Problem with cheap AR's is the companies hire people that know nothing about them and the main goal is to build as cheap as possible.that's not a plan to build quality anything but with bogus reviews on the net, people believe parts is parts and 3 shots under MOA once in a while means it's an MOA gun.

But if buying low bid parts assembled by illegals or custom guns built by bubba in their basements blows up your skirt, have at it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There isn't much built today that isn't built as inexpensively as possible.
Including low bid parts and cheapest possible labor.

Quality standards and enforcement, are the wall against junk.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by TWR

Well I guess I am an AR snob but being in a mechanical business, I've seen plenty of guys who can't start a nut without cross threading it. It's not always the substance of parts that make them cheap but the quality behind the guys building the parts and putting them together.

Never seen a contract awarded for an M4 that equalled $400, I think when Remington cut everyone's throat a few years back it was around $600. But then again I had a buddy that bought an M16 A1 for less than $200 back in the day.

Problem with cheap AR's is the companies hire people that know nothing about them and the main goal is to build as cheap as possible.that's not a plan to build quality anything but with bogus reviews on the net, people believe parts is parts and 3 shots under MOA once in a while means it's an MOA gun.

But if buying low bid parts assembled by illegals or custom guns built by bubba in their basements blows up your skirt, have at it.

Bogus Reviews??

Oh, so now we are talking about Anderson.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 06/02/19.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The way you get to a reasonable priced gun is buy the important parts from known sources.

Things like non staked carrier keys are easy to stake or loctite and I've never had 640 loctite come loose... or the AMU that I'm aware of.

You get a good bolt. Blemished upper and lower. Keeping factory trigger which is junk to me but reliable keeps cost down., Then the rest of the parts are pretty much a non issue. Other than the barrel. And at one point you could get a Wilson barrel from White Oak or CLE reasonably enough. I"m sure its still the case. But with lowers at 30 bucks and blem uppers not that much more...

What else in there is really important ? I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

BUT this is if you know what you are doing, and do it well while having fun putting it together.

I have seen issues, usually not hard to correct, from assembled parts kit type guns.

I have not seen a gun fall apart at 100 or 1000 or more rounds, but falling apart and a minor issue like needing a new extractor are different subjects in my book.

That said, one can usually not go wrong with top names.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
There is so much bluster wrapped up in these threads about price, quality, and "just as good". I've said before, I'm not an expert on ARs, but there is something to be said for guns across the spectrum of price levels. I don't have a ton of money(partially because I have to pay my mortgage and am NOT living in my moms basement), I have other expensive hobbies, I like to tinker with things, I trust myself to be capable of solving small problems, and I'm willing to be patient and trust companies (in this case PSA) will stand behind their products in the case of a big problem, and I don't need a rifle for competition or to stake my life on day in and day out. So, I choose to buy "cheap" and accept it for what it is. I won't ever say it is "just as good" as a $3k premium rifle because that statement is so subjective, and contains so much variability,that it is essentially meaningless. And in some very objective and measurable ways it is NOT just as good.

The OP asked about a couple rifles at a low price point, for a "general use" carbine. My guess is that the two he selected would serve him well, as would a package from PSA or another relatively inexpensive rifle. I'm guessing that by "general use" he means informal target shooting, hunting varmints/hogs/etc at shortish ranges, and having a rifle available in case of emergency. An "average" PSA setup will do that, so will the average ruger, or S&W. Would a Noveske do that too? Of course.

Saying that these inexpensive rifles are likely to fail between 100 and 1000 rounds is a gross overstatement. If the majority, or even a large proportion did, these companies wouldn't survive more than a few years in the current competitive market. With a "cheap" gun chances of a lemon are obviously much higher because because of QC, parts variability, etc. But the chance of a lemon with a premium rifle still exists. As with all things, you get what you pay for, unless you just have bad luck. If you offered me the worst gun to come out of a premium high end manufacturer, and the best gun PSA ever produced, I'd take the PSA every time.

What this country needs is more thoughtful ethical gun owners, shooters, and hunters. Not less. Companies like PSA are putting out a huge number of safe and serviceable guns to people who wouldn't otherwise get one.

With all that said, I won't ever buy from BCA because their business practices and ethics suck.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by TWR

Nothing wrong with some illegal alien labor at the factory..

Last edited by 79S; 06/02/19.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CORDrew
Saying that these inexpensive rifles are likely to fail between 100 and 1000 rounds is a gross overstatement. If the majority, or even a large proportion did, these companies wouldn't survive more than a few years in the current competitive market.

1-Nobody made that gross overstatement.

2-Yes, those companies would survive. Because....
A-The overwhelming majority of people who buy a $400 rifle will never fire a case of ammo through them. So the companies can put out a garbage product knowing full well that their customer base will never test them to failure.
B-People who buy $400 ARs will buy cheap ammo to shoot through them. When there's a malfunction, just chalk it up to the ammo and keep charging on.
C-People don't know what the heck they're actually talking about. Case in point....The dude who claims he has a 1MOA 7x39 from BCA. No, he doesn't. And his six friends don't either. The standard he's using to measure success is so wildly skewed that companies will absolutely survive selling him garbage products.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by CORDrew
Saying that these inexpensive rifles are likely to fail between 100 and 1000 rounds is a gross overstatement. If the majority, or even a large proportion did, these companies wouldn't survive more than a few years in the current competitive market.

1-Nobody made that gross overstatement.

2-Yes, those companies would survive. Because....
A-The overwhelming majority of people who buy a $400 rifle will never fire a case of ammo through them. So the companies can put out a garbage product knowing full well that their customer base will never test them to failure.
B-People who buy $400 ARs will buy cheap ammo to shoot through them. When there's a malfunction, just chalk it up to the ammo and keep charging on.
C-People don't know what the heck they're actually talking about. Case in point....The dude who claims he has a 1MOA 7x39 from BCA. No, he doesn't. And his six friends don't either. The standard he's using to measure success is so wildly skewed that companies will absolutely survive selling him garbage products.

I'm not going to argue with you with a keyboard.You win 'Bwana.You know everything about firearms.Hell,you know everything about me.You really are something else...
Y'all enjoy your discussions.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Post up some vids of you and your friends shooting sub-moa and shut him up..............or not.

Last edited by NH K9; 06/02/19.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some pretty broad assumptions by some on this post concerning what type of ammo we shoot in our sub par it's going to fail between 100-1000 rd AR's. As of now I put 500rds of through my subpar AR. No FTF, no FTE, etc. I have yet to shoot any cheap ammo through it. All been handloaded 75's, 77's, 80's, 88's and 90's. I will be honest my rifle with a 10 shot group is a honest 1.2-1.5 inch rifle at a 100yds. Just shot a 10 shot group this evening 1.2 or so inch. I don't bother posting pictures anymore. I have nothing to prove to any of you yahoos. I do know if I want up my game for the AR tactical or Service rifle competitions I need to get another barrel it will probably be a WOA barrel. But for the average guy shooting orange clay pigeons on the burm inch and half rifle is just fine.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

C'mon Blue, these things are sub-MOA ALL DAY LONG!!!!!

See? I even highlighted them for you.
[Linked Image]

laugh

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
But for the average guy shooting orange clay pigeons on the burm inch and half rifle is just fine.

Yes, that's a fact, & in reality, there are a lot more of those rifles than there are sub-MOA rifles (& shooters & ammo) for 10 shots x 2 or 3 or 4.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that either as long as the gun is consistent, that's good shooting.

The rub comes in when lots of guys, here, & on other forums too, try to convince everyone that their single, cherry-picked 3-shot group means that they have a "sub-MOA' rifle, all day, every day, especially on rifles with more or less suspect barrels.

Make of that whatever you want, & like it or not, it is what it is.

Here's a really good article with a slightly different take on accuracy by a guy who knows what he's talking about, Jack Leuba from Knight's Armament (KAC)...........it's worth the time to read it.

MM

Let's Talk About Accuracy

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TWR

That's insane.

Glad I've never bought any of their stuff, if that's how they think and treat their good customers.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (10Glocks, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 163bc, 1lessdog, 53 invisible), 2,074 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,198
Posts18,465,978
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.