24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm very late to this discussion but I only recall one poster on this thread who leans toward long rods the way I do for small streams.

I like a rod at least 9' in tight small streams through timber and brush. I almost never cast with it, so I suppose it is similar to the Tenkara (sp?) style of fishing. At least 90% of my fishing in such places is threading/lowering/dapping/dipping a fly or (gasp) worm between bushes and rocks into a pocket pool and sometimes feeding line out and letting current take the hook into/under a log jam. Frequently I poke the tip down to the depth I want and then feed out line into the current. A long rod is versatile and allows you to reach more of the stream in the many places where a cast is not practical and maybe not possible. It is harder to walk through brush with it but no rod is handy for that. On open stretches of straight creek that allow casting, enjoy the sudden freedom to actually make a cast! Have caught rainbows to 23" long by such methods, though most are small.

Absolutely LOVE that kind of creek fishing!

GB2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by ridgerunner85
My sentiments exactly! A lot of fly fisherman have a holier than thou attitude!

Is why I was never interested in fly fishing early on, the people. Finally got into it last year and love it!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Taco280AI

Is why I was never interested in fly fishing early on, the people. Finally got into it last year and love it!

You run into those people, and even subsets of those people. They tend to congregate on "big name" waters so another plus to fishing small streams.

All fishing is good -

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I was a teen, we would use an old film canister, wrapped with 4 lb test, and a dry fly on the end. We would start up stream, and let the fly float down stream into a pool. Cannot begin to tell how many trout I caught this way. Hundreds every summer.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like fun. As a teen I used to go to a small city pond near a city lake that had a pier out into the middle of it and used a short length of mono with a small hook tied on to about a 4-5" stick and baited with a bit of dough bait. Would toss the stick out a foot or so from the pier lie down and wait for some sunfish taking the bait try to make off with the stick and plunge my arm into the water to get the stick and fish. Loads of fun.

The first "fly fishing" I ever did was at that same city lake. I noticed that when I cast a small dough ball into the like near the shore sunfish would "rise" up and gobble the dough as it sunk. A drug store near the lake had some small while flies so I saved a few quarters and bought several. Would "cast" with a spinning rod and reel just a foot or so from the bank. Very exciting to watch those small sunfish rise to that small fly as it sank.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Old thread but...I've found the size of the stream doesn't really matter, it's the character of the stream, the vegetation surrounding it, and/or the way you want to fish it that influences rod length. A creek that's a tunnel through brush and overhanging trees may be best fished 6' rod or even shorter. The same sized stream in the open with brush lined banks may be best fished with a 9' rod casting over the brush.

I haven't really kept up with the fly fishing market but in recent years, some of the bargain rods and lines I've cast here and there were surprisingly good. It's a good time to be getting into fly fishing.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My favorite local river is only about 15' wide. My favorite rod to fish it is my 3 weight TFO Finesse series rod. Second favorite is an 8' five weight. I have tried 7' rods there, and they're too short. For larger rivers I prefer my 9' four weight. Most of our fishing is with nymphs or streamers. A black wooly bugger is killer on most of the rivers I fish here in New Jersey and lower NY State.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like an 7' to 8' ultralight spinning rod, a matched reel with 4 or 6 lbs. test mono, clear casting bubbles, and your choice of flies in the size 10 thru 16 range.

If all else fails, either a light or dark color Hornberg will usually do the job.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I like an 7' to 8' ultralight spinning rod, a matched reel with 4 or 6 lbs. test mono, clear casting bubbles, and your choice of flies in the size 10 thru 16 range.

If all else fails, either a light or dark color Hornberg will usually do the job.

Ever tried a small sz 10-12 Pistol Pete or a sz 14-16 Renegade with that rig? I have caught many fish with a fly and bubble. The Renegades work very early morning or late evening when the trout are rising and retrieved very slowly, then even slower.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Prwlr

Ever tried a small sz 10-12 Pistol Pete or a sz 14-16 Renegade with that rig? I have caught many fish with a fly and bubble. The Renegades work very early morning or late evening when the trout are rising and retrieved very slowly, then even slower.

I haven't used the Pistol Pete or the Renegade. I have used a variety of different color and size Irresistible and Wulff patterns. Foam grasshoppers and crickets work well too.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I haven't used the Pistol Pete or the Renegade. I have used a variety of different color and size Irresistible and Wulff patterns. Foam grasshoppers and crickets work well too.

I often use soft hackles especially the Grey Hackle Yellow. Also used a home made fly in sz 14-16 with red foam that resembles a ladybug with black magic marker dots folded over black hackle.

Ed

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've been fishing a Cabelas 5' 4 wt with a 3 wt line and an old Pfluger brass fly reel out here in OR for cutthroats and smallmouths and it works very well. I just picked up a broken Orvis CFO1 reel at a gunshow for 5 bucks and since I couldn't fix it I sent it to Orvis for repairs. They fixed it for 58 bucks with new parts and labor and it fit perfect on that Cabelas rod. Another great choice is the Eagle Claw 3/4 fiberglass rods with that same Pfluger brass reel (I have two) that is a very economical setup that my kids and I have caught many trout on.

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"
from Numbers 6:24-26

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Ridgerunner85: I have several "secret places" here in SW Montana where I use my "special" tiny fly fishing outfit.
I catch Brook Trout, Grayling, East Slope Cutthroat, Brown Trout and occasionally a Rainbow Trout.
These small waters (creeks, lakes, ponds and Beaver ponds) seem perfect for my 1970'ish Flyweight Hardy reel and 1970'ish Fenwick FF 605 ultra-light 6' fly rod.
I have had more FUN fishing with this rod and reel than any other outfit I have ever owned.
The Flyweight Hardy reel is so valuable anymore that sadly I find myself hesitant to take it out fishing these days and have been looking (unsuccessfully!) for another tiny reel to use in its stead.!
Oh well I only live once.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Have any of you guys ever heard of a Dennison rod? Bob Dennison made 5', 5 1/2' ultralight fly rods with tiny brass reels. I used one in Kodiak for Dolly Varden and in Oregon for Cutthroats and Rainbows and absolutely love that little rig. I let it go to a buddy but wish I had it back.

Last edited by Blacktail308; 05/31/19.

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"
from Numbers 6:24-26

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by Taco280AI

You run into those people, and even subsets of those people. They tend to congregate on "big name" waters so another plus to fishing small streams.

All fishing is good -

In Vermont, the Battenkill in the southwestern part of the State is a magnet for fly fishermen who tend toward the snobbish/elitist end of the spectrum, the Orvis crowd. OTOH, the White River is, IMO, a better trout stream and gets only a fraction of the action. If you can't find a mile or more of the White River for yourself, you aren't looking/trying, even on a weekend. During the middle of the week, you would be more likely to have between 5 and 10 miles of vacant water to yourself.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
[quote=Blacktail308]Have any of you guys ever heard of a Dennison rod? Bob Dennison made 5', 5 1/2' ultralight fly rods with tiny brass reels. I used one in Kodiak for Dolly Varden and in Oregon for Cutthroats and Rainbows and absolutely love that little rig. I let it go to a buddy but wish I had it back.[/quote

Yes but it was a while ago, pushing 20 yrs ago I'd guess. He had a booth at the San Mateo show and I was quite excited about them as there was virtually nothing available that short that was any good at the time other than some old glass rods. Never got one unfortunately. Cool that you used to have one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In Vermont, the Battenkill in the southwestern part of the State is a magnet for fly fishermen who tend toward the snobbish/elitist end of the spectrum, the Orvis crowd. OTOH, the White River is, IMO, a better trout stream and gets only a fraction of the action. If you can't find a mile or more of the White River for yourself, you aren't looking/trying, even on a weekend. During the middle of the week, you would be more likely to have between 5 and 10 miles of vacant water to yourself.

I avoid those named streams. Perhaps it's just the intimidation factor too. I'm just a kid from Indiana that has worked his way into being able to catch a few trout in a few places.

On Orvis, I generally really like their stuff. My Orvis vest is 30 years old this year and is stained and sewed up in a few places but their prices are insane these days. I did drop into the Manchester Outlet store three years ago though and scored some great deals. I've loved the Helos rods since I cast Rocky Raab's a few years ago in Montana but no way I was going to spend that amount. Found a 9' 4 weight in the outlet ship at 50% off and it's really my go to rod for 75% of my fishing.

Buying Orvis doesn't make me an Orvis guy though! grin

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a great Orvis fleece jacket that I bought at their store at Faneuil Hall Market when I went to Boston to see the Red Sox play their first two home games in 2008. It had been warm in Omaha and I failed to bring a warm enough jacket for Boston on April 8th and 9th.

Before I discovered Bertucci, I favored Orivis field watches.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

LOL, the Pistol Pete was/is one of my favourite flies to fish on the Bow River when the elitist crowd was out and about. Wanna really freak them out? Cast that fly on a high end rod LOL.Priceless reactions!
I only fly fish, not because it is the only method to catch fish, I just have too much fun with it. You wanna toss a worm near by me, I'll probably tie on a San Juan Worm or maybe a Pistol Pete.
It is all about the fun isn't it????

I love small streams, there are a couple tiny ones near me that hold trout. A couple or so years ago, I picked up a Pieroway 7 foot 3 wt that I paired with a Hardy Ultra Light reel.
Kind of fancy rig but the price was right. Have always loved shorter rods on small streams although, I have this one St Croix 9 foot 6wt with an Orvis Battenkill reel that was my favourite small creek setup.

Last edited by troutfly; 06/16/19. Reason: sp
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by troutfly

LOL, the Pistol Pete was/is one of my favourite flies to fish on the Bow River when the elitist crowd was out and about. Wanna really freak them out? Cast that fly on a high end rod LOL.Priceless reactions!
I only fly fish, not because it is the only method to catch fish, I just have too much fun with it. You wanna toss a worm near by me, I'll probably tie on a San Juan Worm or maybe a Pistol Pete.
It is all about the fun isn't it????

I love small streams, there are a couple tiny ones near me that hold trout. A couple or so years ago, I picked up a Pieroway 7 foot 3 wt that I paired with a Hardy Ultra Light reel.
Kind of fancy rig but the price was right. Have always loved shorter rods on small streams although, I have this one St Croix 9 foot 6wt with an Orvis Battenkill reel that was my favourite small creek setup.

Yep totally agree. I probably fly fish about 85% of the time because I like catching fish on the fly to include catfish and carp. But I am no purist, I just like to catch fish and if spinning or bait cast will get it done I'll do it. Haven't tried bow fishing but have given it a bit of thought. I typically change to a spinning/bubble outfit when trout are just out of fly casting range and rising.

Ed

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
119 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 18 invisible), 1,359 guests, and 711 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,851
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.