Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 31 1 2 3 4 30 31
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
2 things:

1. I'd like to see the heavy duplex reticle offered as a regular option in the Freedom series 2-7x33 and 3-9x40.

2. I'd like to see the price for a reticle change reviewed to see if loyal Leupold buyers could get the work done for a more reasonable price, whatever reasonable is.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I also have more Leupolds than any other brand. The size, weight, eye relief, reticles, appearance, and glass are all good. Better quality on the erector system would be a definite plus, even if price was a little steeper and weight was more.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Consider SWFA’s internals, add a zero stop and Rock On! 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide
Tracking, return to zero, failure to hold zero, inconsistent turret value, loose internal parts etc...

These are my personal experiences .

Same goes for me.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Accurate adjustments and zero retention.

IC B2

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Tracking and zero retention for me as well.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I use Leupolds as set it and forget type scopes as my style of hunting does not require dialing. For what I use them for they are great. I will say that a majority of their scopes I own/owned have had inconsistent windage/elevation values.

On a side note my favorite reticle was the LR duplex which went away with the VX 2’s. If they started offering this reticle in the Freedom line or better yet the VX3 line then I would start buying more Leupolds again.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
doug, first of all let me thank you!!!! can I say thank you again!!!. I have been a leupold basher myself. but I would rather they just fix the problems and I would actually start buying the product again. They have the best variety of product features in the business. I don't want them to suck!!! I want them to be good. So MLGA make leupold great again!! is my attitude. What I would most like to see is what specifically has the company done to improve precise erector travel and insure rugged, reliable, repeatable adjustments. I realize they also offer some models to compete at a price point. I get it. However it would be nice if we had some sort of knowledge which scopes had internals there were designed for repeated adjustments. I don't think their set it and forget it scopes are in need of fixing.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
It’s easy to get on peoples bad side, hell to get back on their good one.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Leupold has known what the issues are for better than a decade.... nothing on this thread will be news to them.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I only have a couple but for me the zoom ring is to stiff. And why make a scope without a fast focus eyepiece? Thank you

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tracking, return to zero, failure to hold zero, inconsistent turret value, loose internal parts etc...

+1

Canted reticles straight out the shrink wrapped box is also unacceptable.

I sent ALL my Leupold's down the road. I have no confidence in their wares.

Leupold has been aware of the valid complaints and issues for years, and did absolutely nothing. They lost my business, and no way they could earn my trust or business again.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Doug,

Thank you for taking a pro-active stance on this, it is nice to see someone with an interest other than just the endless bashing.

As someone metioned earlier they should consider using the Weaver Micro-Trac system, it has been around for over 40 years so the patent is gone on it, it is the nearest thing to a flawless trouble-free system as there is. If they have a better adjstment design on the back burner then they need to bring it to the market.

I have used Leupold VX-3 and VX-lll 6.5-20x40 scopes for silhouette competition for nearly 40 years and I am a fan of their hunting scopes also, are they perfect - NO !! but they are generally good or they would not still be in business.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Near as I can tell many that twist turrets and verify adjustment settings and return to zero capability are dissatisfied with Leupold. Many of these dissatisfied guys are very experienced shooters sending lots of rounds down range and I believe they know what they are talking about. I also believe many of these dissatisfied shooters were at one time "set and forget" scope users, who have since move on to turret twisting and waved goodbye to Leupold as a result of it.

Many shooters who happily fill their freezers with "set and forget" Leupold scope use like them. They zero their scope, use reticle hold over based on experience and make gut piles. So we have two user groups requiring different things from Leupold and the two groups report different results from their Leupold scopes. I believe both sides.

I believe the dissatisfaction is a direct result of the long range shooting and hunting craze that has been popular for the last 15 years. That type of shooting leans toward turret twisting for dialing in range. Most agree, Leupold offers good looking scopes that have graced the cover of magazines for as long as we can remember. They have great eye relief, are light weight and offer very clear glass and some models have several reticle offerings.

One area where they failed is in the reticle choices of their VX5-HD line. This is a scope many can afford and it has many desirable features, but they only offer one reticle choice, in their 2-10 model, a wide duplex, illuminated or not. Why they can't offer the same scope with a reticle like their B&C or the Firedot #4 is a secret to them. Also, why offer a busy reticle in a second focal plain scope when the values of the reticle are only accurate on the highest setting?

We all have a right to expect any of their scopes to have reliable click adjustments and I believe they should clearly state a scope is designed for "set and forget" use or a scope designed to have it's turrets twisted.

If they make a reliable scope in the 2-10x42 and 3-15x42 range that has reliable adjustments and three or four reticle choices they will sell many of them, it is that simple. That type of scope will cover all big game needs.

I am sure hey are aware of their scopes short comings and I also believe they are making money in spite of it. Just keep the weight under 20 ounces.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Tracking, return to zero, failure to hold zero, inconsistent turret value

I've also had these issues with Leupold scopes, and had a zero loss issue on a set and forget type Leupold which cost me a hunt. Leupold was once a favorite, but that is no longer the case.

Doug, thanks for posting this thread. Hope it will do some good.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JDK
Tracking and zero retention for me as well.

Same here, I have been mostly a set and forget type of hunter but constantly have had to re zero the scopes. My one Leupold with the tall turret they install does not track well at all. These are major problems to the point where I won't buy them anymore and recommend that others don't either. I love everything else about them and hope they fix these issues.

Gerry.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I find it HARD to believe someone has had every single problem a scope could possibly have with one single brand of scope. MY experience is 100% the opposite. WTF?

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I don`t think comparing a low dollar scope with the internals of a high dollar scope is a fair comparison.I am a set and forget scope person.The only Leupold I have had fail was my own fault as I dropped the rifle from a tree stand.I have had Kahles,Zeiss,Swarovskis not track as advertised.I will admit that tracking on my Leupolds sometimes has been a pain.Considering the price I paid ,I really did not expect better.The thing is once sighted in they hold their zero,at least for me.You can pick apart almost any product made if you have a mind to.Thanks to Doug for the opportunity to list your problems.Huntz

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I really like my VX-6 scopes (about a dozen) but on most, the magnification ring is very difficult to turn and nearly impossible to turn when it’s cold, requiring both hands.

For the most part, I’m a set and forget shooter and I like the B&C and LRD reticles.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Doug, all I ask for is a reasonably priced 4x with a duplex or heavy duplex reticle. If they are only going to make 1 standard fixed 4x I understand that, it's not a big market, but it REALLY should be a regular duplex.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Page 2 of 31 1 2 3 4 30 31

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

490 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 36 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,044 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,851
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.