Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Folks:

I've been using a comparator to measure the over all distance to the lands for several different bullet weights and manufactures, and need to check my findings with those who have a lot more experience at this than I do. So here's a quick question: All of the lengths for ogive touching the lands has been the same for 140, 150, and 160-grain Partitions. Does that sound right? I know it will vary from manufacturer to manufacture, but within manufacturer and bullet style, do the ogives measure the same regardless of the bullet weight? I'm just trying to make sure that there isn't something screwy with my measuring technique.

Thanks.

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Using the comparator is getting pretty picky about your handloads - but that is ok. Rev, I found out that bullets of different weights do NOT have the same distance to the rifling - when using the comparator. But if they did it would be just a coincidence. In fact, a box of lead tipped bullets of any style or brand will have differences in OAL's due to damage to the tips. But we know that the tips do not contact the lands and grooves. A comparator here would be a better measuring tool.

My biggest revelation came when using a comparator for 150 gr Partitions for a .270 Win. with a cannelure. When I laid out some 150's without a cannelure they looked slightly different. Wondering if there was an optical illusion, I put them to the comparator test and they measured differently.
The cannelured bullet contacted rifling sooner than the more slender bullet without a cannelure.

Recall that Mule Deer sometimes writes that manufacturer A or B changed something about the bullet design or hardness but never make it publically known. That too would certainly play into your contact point and only the comparator would pick up on that. Its a handy tool.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 06/03/19.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks for the comments.

Yes, using a comparator is getting a bit picky, but there's a reason: I have a cranky Featherweight that I'm going to force into submission, and I'm working on getting any edge I can. I figure consistent loading depth can only help.

I have a new caliper coming today, so I'll see if that makes any difference. When I was looking at 140, 150, and 160-grain Partitions, and the numbers were coming out the same, I figured it had to be one of two things: either the dial on the caliper is too hard to read (retired CPAs generally have lousy eyes) or the ogives are the same and the weight differences are all in the shank. The new caliper has a digital display, so I'll run the test again this evening and see how things turn out.

Thank again for your observations. It's helpful.

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If the 140, 150 and 160 had the same comparator measurement, what were their OAL's?

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I didn't quite get that far, but netting out the comparator would put it at 2.5795 inches from base to ogive on each round since they all measured 3.5850 with the comparator (comparator length is 1.0055 inches). I didn't measure how much of the base of the bullet is in the neck, but I expect the OAL will be shorter on the 140-grain loads if I'm going to have at least .284 in it.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I should add that even tipped bullets like the Accubond can vary in the length of the bullet. Those white tips aren't always identical. All this points to the comparator as the best way to get consistent COAL's.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by RevMike
When I was looking at 140, 150, and 160-grain Partitions, and the numbers were coming out the same, I figured it had to be one of two things: either the dial on the caliper is too hard to read (retired CPAs generally have lousy eyes) or the ogives are the same and the weight differences are all in the shank.

It's rare that this happens so don't count on it. Even among supposedly identical bullets they'll vary by lots. I initially worked up a load with 105 Amaxs for my 6 BR years ago and wrote down the cartridge OAL and my comparator reading at that OAL. When hornady closed out the Amaxs I bought a thousand. I pulled out some of the newer ones the other day and loaded to my desired COAL then checked it with the comparator, it was off by .025". The different lots of bullets were considerably different in their ogive placement even though they were the "same" bullets.

The moral of the story is always check!

That's one reason that I like to buy enough bullets, powder, brass, or primers to last a while. I don't like re-working loads to deal with inconsistencies between different lots.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Update:

I picked up a new iGaging Origin (digital), attached the comparator, and zeroed it out. Here are the averages of five measurements, from base to where the ojive meets the lands in a BACO Featherweight 7x57:

Nosler 140-grain Partition: 2.5755"
Nosler 150-grain Partition: 2.5770"
Nosler 160-grain Partition: 2.5785"

From this it looks like the OAL distance, from base to lands, using the ogive as the measuring point, changes .0015 inches between each successive weight. This will be helpful when working up a load for this particular rifle. A couple of my others aren't so picky, but this one seems to be.

BTW, I know JB and others have said Partitions really like a kick in the pants as far as accuracy is concerned, but for those who use them, what have you found with regards to the jump. Close to the lands? Or do they like a little jump?

Thanks for your patience.

RM

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Don't measure to the fourth decimal point or you will drive yourself batty.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nuzzler is easily amongst THE schittiest in QC "control".

Hint..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Don't measure to the fourth decimal point or you will drive yourself batty.

Yeah, it didn't take long to figure that out. laugh I also found that if I wanted to get a couple of different readings, all I had to do was spin the bullet in the comparator. That's why I took an average of several measurements. But at least it's going to give me a baseline from which to start.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Nuzzler is easily amongst THE schittiest in QC "control".

Hint..............

So far, in measuring several different brands, Sierra has been the most consistent, but I'm not planning to hunt with them...at least not at this point.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If you have a factory box of 7x57, or whatever other cartridge, it would be interesting to see how uniform they are. This is important but we can't get carried away with the minutia as other factors are in play too.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thanks for the comments.

Yes, using a comparator is getting a bit picky, but there's a reason: I have a cranky Featherweight that I'm going to force into submission, and I'm working on getting any edge I can. I figure consistent loading depth can only help.

I have a new caliper coming today, so I'll see if that makes any difference. When I was looking at 140, 150, and 160-grain Partitions, and the numbers were coming out the same, I figured it had to be one of two things: either the dial on the caliper is too hard to read (retired CPAs generally have lousy eyes) or the ogives are the same and the weight differences are all in the shank. The new caliper has a digital display, so I'll run the test again this evening and see how things turn out.

Thank again for your observations. It's helpful.

RM

Bedding good? Both bolt lugs making good contact? Good crown? Assembled cartridges straight?

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
If you have a factory box of 7x57, or whatever other cartridge, it would be interesting to see how uniform they are. This is important but we can't get carried away with the minutia as other factors are in play too.

Factory loaded Partitions? Unfortunately no.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by mathman
Bedding good? Both bolt lugs making good contact? Good crown? Assembled cartridges straight?

Factory bedded and crown is good. Bolt lugs, I don't know. Sharpie test?

As for cartridges, both factory and handloads shoot the same. Handloads are Redding body die, Lee collet, and either Lee or Redding seating die. I don't have a runout gauge, but they pass the "roll test."

When the weather cooperates I'm going to load some 160-grain Sierra Tipped Match Kings and see how they do. My MRC likes just about anything in the 150- to 160-grain class, so hopefully I can get this one to shoot too.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by mathman

Factory bedded and crown is good. Bolt lugs, I don't know. Sharpie test? You can just wipe them clean and look at their wear patterns.

As for cartridges, both factory and handloads shoot the same. Handloads are Redding body die, Lee collet, and either Lee or Redding seating die. I don't have a runout gauge, but they pass the "roll test."

When the weather cooperates I'm going to load some 160-grain Sierra Tipped Match Kings and see how they do. My MRC likes just about anything in the 150- to 160-grain class, so hopefully I can get this one to shoot too.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Mathman:

Pretty evenly worn, so I'm not sure what's up. Of the three 7x57s I generally use, two shoot sub 1 inch groups at 100 yards, albeit with heavier bullets (154+ grains). This one is proving to be a bit erratic, generally shooting 1.5 inches or so, and that's with a proven scope, so I know it's not the glass.

RM

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Mathman:

Pretty evenly worn, so I'm not sure what's up. Of the three 7x57s I generally use, two shoot sub 1 inch groups at 100 yards, albeit with heavier bullets (154+ grains). This one is proving to be a bit erratic, generally shooting 1.5 inches or so, and that's with a proven scope, so I know it's not the glass.

RM

What is wrong with 1.5" or so accuracy?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Nothing really. If that's the best it'll do then that's the best it'll do. But I'm going to find out if there's more in there to be had. I have a bunch of different bullets and several different powders, so I'm going to wring it out and find out for sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (35, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,357 guests, and 820 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,252
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.