Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have used a lot of different scopes on various rifles. I have never had a scope get me, under any circumstances. I have always been puzzled on how people keep getting hammered by a recoiling scope. I tend to think that longer eye relief may not make a difference, if you are mounted wrong on the rifle.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
also I would add this to mule deer's comments. why are we worshiping at the holy alter of eye relief. if its so awesome why aren't we all running scout scopes? there are downsides to more than what is needed eye relief. 1) and no one ever says this, the further the image from your eyes the smaller the object in the scope appears. I noticed this after using japanese optics like bushnell elites and nightforce, when I would switch back to leupold. I kept looking and checking the power ring on the leupold and thinking is this scope turned up all the way. longer eye relief is generally more critical to get behind and allows more stray light to influence the image. I personally would probably limit this SWFA scope to 270 win or less. but the reality is if you are having trouble with getting hit by any scope with over 3" of eye relief you don't have the optic mounted correctly for the way you hold the gun, OR you are holding the gun improperly. OR heck just you less gun. with modern bullets you don't need a 300 ultra boomer anymore anyways.

Just when I thought you couldn't dig your idiocy hole any deeper...

šŸ‘šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, Iā€™d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ainā€™t easy havin pals.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by koshkin
I have one of the Ultralights as well and I tested three prototypes for SWFA as they were going through the BDC reticle development.

I really like this little scope and the one I have here has been on a good range of rifle varying from 22LR to 7.62x54R and it never hit me in the face with any of them. It is still less eye relief than I would want on a kicker, but aside from that, it seems perfectly serviceable.

The rimfire version with 50 yard parallax should be coming soon as is the BDC reticle. The BDC reticle is bolder than the plex, so it will be better in low light.

ILya

A rimfire model will be very tempting, especially on sale days. It appears to have plenty of tube, and a small eyepiece, both very helpful.

I can do okay with a 100yd parallax setting on lower powers with a .22, but at 10x it might be a problem.

At 10x it starts losing sharpness at about 60-70 yards. To shoot groups at 50 yards, I dial it down to 8x or so.

Rimfire model will rectify that.

ILya

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Finally took the plunge and got my hands on one of these. Glad I did and ignored the concerns about eye relief. Once I saw Mule Deer post about it not being as bad as its being made out to be I picked one up. 3 shots from bore sight to sight in (should have been two but yours truly adjusted the windage the wrong direction between #1 and #2 shot like an idiot.

Anyways eye relief is a non issue for me on this rifle granted its a little 6.5 CM but still for a niche rifle like this is a perfect fit.

[Linked Image]

Even comes in under advertised weight smile

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Damn that's light!!! I agree more folks should listen to reliable sources

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, Iā€™d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ainā€™t easy havin pals.
IC B2

J
JRK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Interesting scope, also curious about the similar maven. What sort of rig is that your scope is on ?

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
As Alaska stated eye-relief is a non issue, I mounted mine on a Tikka rimfire--perfect fit.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
[...][Linked Image]

How du you keep it from bobbing up against the roof of the safe? Ankers awaay?

More info please.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Unbelievably impressive light weight for a scoped high power bolt action rifle.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ilya, do you have idea when the BDC model will be released?

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
June, I think.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Mounting length is advertised at 5.8, anybody have one of these on a long action without reversible mounts? If so, hows it working out?

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Finally took the plunge and got my hands on one of these. Glad I did and ignored the concerns about eye relief. Once I saw Mule Deer post about it not being as bad as its being made out to be I picked one up. 3 shots from bore sight to sight in (should have been two but yours truly adjusted the windage the wrong direction between #1 and #2 shot like an idiot.

Anyways eye relief is a non issue for me on this rifle granted its a little 6.5 CM but still for a niche rifle like this is a perfect fit.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hope you keep us up to date on how it works for you.

Gerry.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Will do!! Just worked up a load with 130 ELDM out of the 16.5ā€ barrel. 2780 fps. To verify load I shot 3 then went from zero to top of elevation back to zero (58 moa total in just Talley with no canted base so the 70 moa claim is VERY conservative) 3 times and put it back on zero and it was exactly where I left it. This load is just barely sub MOA during load work up and the two 3 shot groups (I know not a real indication of anything) but should work well for the 400 yard and in this rifle is going to be doing. If I want to shoot at distance consistently I have better tools for that job.

Overall still glad I got it and a perfect match to this little rifle. Someday I hope they put a MOA QUAD or better yet make this thing MILs which I know isnā€™t likely gonna happen but a guy can dream wink

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What is that rifle. Am I reading the scale right at 4lb 13.1 oz.? I love toting lightweight rifles. That is why I like single shots. Looks like that would be a joy to carry.

MolɔĢ€Ėn LabĆ©
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Liking mine on a BFC 6 creed. A CH shy of 6 pds ... not as light as lancheā€™s montana but I think Iā€™m less than 17 Benjyā€™s into it for the whole package.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Texczech

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What is that rifle. Am I reading the scale right at 4lb 13.1 oz.? I love toting lightweight rifles. That is why I like single shots. Looks like that would be a joy to carry.

Yeah itā€™s 4.1 pounds ( 4 pounds 2 oz naked) but it used to be 3 pounds 9 oz when it was a 358 win and a fluted barrel. I went with a slightly heavier contour, havenā€™t fluted the barrel yet, and of course going from a 358 diameter bore to a 264 diameter leaves a lot more metal (weight) on the barrel.

But I can now suppress it and it is a bit kinder in recoil so itā€™s all a trade off.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Shot it in any position other than on the bench to assure eye relief will work in a field environment?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Texczech

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yeah itā€™s 4.1 pounds ( 4 pounds 2 oz naked) but it used to be 3 pounds 9 oz when it was a 358 win and a fluted barrel. I went with a slightly heavier contour, havenā€™t fluted the barrel yet, and of course going from a 358 diameter bore to a 264 diameter leaves a lot more metal (weight) on the barrel.

But I can now suppress it and it is a bit kinder in recoil so itā€™s all a trade off.

That is too cool

MolɔĢ€Ėn LabĆ©
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (300_savage, 01Foreman400, 257robertsimp, 338Rules, 16penny, 13 invisible), 1,163 guests, and 763 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,057
Posts18,463,235
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.