Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 6 30 31
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by IceCut

Hmmm....do you shoot sticks? Bipod? Ranging devices? Can you read wind? Or, better yet, when was the last time you shot standing using a sling and no stick? When was the last time you shot sitting with no crutch? When was the last time you shot prone without bags or bipod?

I see it at my range all the time. The young guys are pretty [bleep] marksmen without their crutches.....

Maybe, you forgot the primary building blocks of marksmanship.....no offense.....

Your first mistake is to think that the guys bashing Leupold don't shoot. The whole reason they do, is that they do....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Hmmm....do you shoot sticks? Bipod? Ranging devices? Can you read wind? Or, better yet, when was the last time you shot standing using a sling and no stick? When was the last time you shot sitting with no crutch? When was the last time you shot prone without bags or bipod?

I see it at my range all the time. The young guys are pretty [bleep] marksmen without their crutches.....

Maybe, you forgot the primary building blocks of marksmanship.....no offense.....

Your post is off base and in the wrong thread.

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I

My reading comprehension is fine. What Doug needs to realize is that the MAJORITY of the complaints revolve around mechanics....DIALING...something the young guys tend to do a LOT....it may be a legitimate issue for that crowd but not for the majority of hunters who sight in and move on and seldom dial.....

By the way, I am an Alaskan too. And, if you meet me at Birchwood, we can maybe have a "friendly" bet regarding shooting skills......you have been CHALLENGED!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My reading comprehension is fine. What Doug needs to realize is that the MAJORITY of the complaints revolve around mechanics....DIALING...something the young guys tend to do a LOT....it may be a legitimate issue for that crowd but not for the majority of hunters who sight in and move on and seldom dial.....

By the way, I am an Alaskan too. And, if you meet me at Birchwood, we can maybe have a "friendly" bet regarding shooting skills......you have been CHALLENGED!

Oh geez....

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 260madman
Instead it’s a race to the bottom with cheaper scopes.

You may be on to something

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I always wondered if internet shooting challengers have thoughts of this song playing in the back ground when the gauntlet is thrown.

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I

If I lived in California, I too would be listening to all kinds of music.....no offense....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You are correct it is an issue with the mechanics, if they are going to make a scope the mechanics have to work correctly. You also don’t add the newest whiz bang CDS or whatever system to adjust for shots at different ranges if the mechanics don’t work in the simplest of tasks like setting and holding a zero. Just because in your uses your Leupolds have been fine does not negate that they are making products that have piss poor internals and don’t work as advertised for many others, hence this thread.

And I don’t live in Alaska anymore or I’d happily take you up on said challenge.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

you have been CHALLENGED!

LMMFAO... move on Deliverance... wrong thread...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by atse
Originally Posted by KH1473
Beef up the erector guts, even if it adds a little weight and that'll be good enough for me to be a fan once again

THIS!!!! If they do this, 98% of their problems are solved.

Doug,

What these guys have said.

Below is a thread I started in 2016 from my experience with a Leupold scope:

"Had a Leupy VX-6 go haywire Thursday when making a final one click left adjustment on Hope's Tikka T-3X 7-08.

We'd both shot several good to excellent groups previous to this, with this load in this gun with this scope, a VX-6 2-12 purchased in Dec 2015. Had her pretty much set up for rifle season coming up, but wanted to just do a final validation. She was doing the shooting, and she shot a good 3 shot group at 100 (slightly over an inch), an even better 3 shot group at 200. All shots were slightly right of center - all shots were <1.5" from center black diamond. She wanted it just a little left, so I took the scope one click left. Next shot was 6 inches left - what the heck! Took it back one click right to original - next shot was over 8 inches right of the last shot - about 2.5" right of any of the first six fired.

Needless to say she was not happy! What followed then was a exercise in futility for about 5 more shots of chasing shots by adjusting both windage and elevation and getting nothing remotely near what was expected. The second target looked like few I've seen the shots were so bad.

The scope was mounted in Talleys, torqued to their specs. Ammo was handloaded, 120 gr Nosler BT, Nosler brass, 2000MR powder, runout checked to less than .002". She was using front and rear rests and it was essentially calm. She's ex-military, expert marksman qualified and is a very good shot.

We were at our farm doing various chores, so the barrel was never allowed to get hot - this occurred over the course of 2-3 hours.

Yesterday (Friday), I replaced the VX-6 with a Trijicon 3-9 I had on hand (had to run to MIdway to get 1" mounts). Gun shot great, after 2 shots it was dead center 2.5" high at 100 yds for me. Turned it over to her, and three shots and a couple of small adjustments for her liking and she was set.

Called Leupold, they said send it in, so I did. We'll see how this turns out."

For the rest of the story, they returned my scope after an "erector adjustment" and it has tracked acceptably since. This is my main beef with them. Plus really mushy click adjustments. Not what you'd expect in a scopes in their price range.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If I lived in California, I too would be listening to all kinds of music.....no offense....

You have been CHALLENGED!

What a phaggot...

Last edited by Higbean; 05/31/19.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide
Tracking, return to zero, failure to hold zero, inconsistent turret value, loose internal parts etc...

+1

Canted reticles straight out the shrink wrapped box is also unacceptable.

I sent ALL my Leupold's down the road. I have no confidence in their wares.

Leupold has been aware of the valid complaints and issues for years, and did absolutely nothing. They lost my business, and no way they could earn my trust or business again.

BS....Leupold puts out a scope with guts that perform after repeated situations of harsh treatment. PRS shooters start using their scopes and say their amazing. Price point comes is a smidge higher than a SWFA SS 4-15x42 with good glass and you’re ripping your pants pocket apart to get at your wallet...Just saying 😬😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I

Are you Higbean talking to ME? Are you talking to Me? (With a thick De Niro accent) Kalifornia boy?

Last edited by IceCut; 05/31/19.
I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I

elkhuntinguide,

Geez...I thought juvenile braggadocio was par for the course in this site.....

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Another going on ignore, sigh...

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I

bludog,

I am devastated. I live for your approval....tsk, tsk....lighten up man, you are taking yourself too seriously

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It seems there is a bit of GROUP THINK going on here regarding disparaging comments directed at Leupold. Most doing the griping are "dialers" who expect Nightforce/SWFA mechanics. I am an "old school" hunter, you know, a guy who can actually shoot standing without a stick and can actually shoot prone without a bipod.....who can actually read wind and not need a ranging device to estimate shooting distance....I digress.
Leupold should take with a grain of salt the bickering. Most of these guys could not hit a barn if shooting standing, sitting or prone without some kind of CRUTCH DEVICE.

As far as I am concerned, most hunters sight in 2" high at 100 and never touch the scope afterwards. The capacity to hold zero (recoil resistance) and no fogging, etc. are the primary variables involved when forming an opinion of the brand.

Let the "dialers" buy their cumbersome, HEAVY, scopes as a crutch......hopefully, one day they too will learn how to shoot like the old timers......(much sarcasm intended).....

Fundamentals of shooting...Check
No front stabilizing device...Check
No rear bag.........................Check

Barn at 650 yards.......Check

You need to hit a 12”x14” inch vent duct fan on the side of the barn... You can’t sit or lay prone for the shot, undergrowth is waist high. Your options are one....Off hand because that’s what your claiming.

What percentage would you give yourself for hitting that vent fan with a medium to big critter chambered rifle? 50/50? 75%? 100?

Reason for my question. Your experience speaks to range shooting. Put your claims in my world, the real world of hunting, and I see you having to pass on animals that I would be putting in the dirt. 😎

“Molon Labe”
I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I

Beaver 10,

I have probably owned/own over 50 Leupold scopes over the years mostly hunting scopes. I tolerated the fact I sighted them in and seldom ever dialed after that. Except for one that broke the crosshairs (shooting a 30/8mm mag), they held zero. What the scopes would not reliably do is show fidelity to the mechanical clicks. Meaning, a 1/4" click was seldom a 1/4" click at 100 yards. I got around it by burning up more ammo than necessary.

So, these guys have a point when they say the mechanics are shaky in some models. No question. But, I still have 6 Leupolds.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IC,
I still have a few Leupold’s..Heck, I live in Oregon...But, I too migrated away from them after spending a week working on a couples house who had just retired from Leupold after 25 years of service. Both, husband and wife were in the capacity of complete understanding of the back sliding of this once great company because of the positions each held within the company.

With sadness, they explained in-depth the changes that had taken place with ownership and investors. It was an unfortunate story, albeit truthfully told.

I once owned over 20 Leupold’s. I’m down to 7. I would gladly throw new cash at Leupold if and when they finally make a scope that will withstand the occasional “sorry’s and oops” of hunting and repeated knocks of a 300 magnum underneath.

Until then, I don’t bash, I just buy different scopes...😎

PS

I’d love to see you shoot off hand at distance...That’s a solid skill.

“Molon Labe”
I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I

Beaver10,

Sling? How much wind? What power scope? Reticle? Caliber/bullet?

What our favorite game used to be was to set 6 cans of beer up on a board at a measured 600 yards and shoot them with a fixed 6 power scope prone with no rest, bag, bipod etc. with a regular duplex reticle. We each had 6 rounds. Man with the lowest score would buy beer that night for the group. I never bought beer for anyone in three years of playing. Damn, I miss being young!

Page 4 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 6 30 31

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1973cb450, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,950 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,258
Posts18,467,084
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.