Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
When you are looking for advice about replacing the scope on your deer rifle, do you come here looking for information?

There are a handful of people on the Campfire who are reliable sources of good information. I know who they are.

For example you are one of the first people I'd come to for advice on the .303 or any flavor of Lee Enfield - and you are here on the Campfire.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
trust maybe ? Canada yes i have relatives in Canada,yes there are some wonderful people that live in Canada. somehow Canada needs to get rid of more Liberals they are ruining Canada, here in America we almost have that problem too ? but many of us fight the gun right battle and that is a bigger deal than people understand ,it is not just one thing the Liberals these Liberals want it all , one piece at a time. American`s chased England out of America many many years ago with guns,Canadian`s should do the same thing somehow ?>get rid of Liberal England before you have no guns and no rights anymore. but i bet no one does anything to save your rights ? America did we voted in Donald Trump as our President and the liberals are still whinning !

Last edited by pete53; 06/04/19.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Steve,

Good day to you and all the Canadian folks there. Sorry you all have to watch American teams compete for Lord Stanley's Cup, but that's the breaks this year. "My" team lost in the 3rd round too, so I'm not the happiest. But at least it's hockey.

Now that I've taken care of preliminary banter, I counted about 21 posts before the thread devolved and the original topic was lost.

Yes, I trust what I read on the Campfire, but like others have said, it's based on the source (s). So much of what is posted seems to be taken as gospel by select groups, even when refuted by facts, the true kind. You know, the ones with evidence backing them up.

Interesting post Steve,

Thanks.

PS, there's one source here I tend to trust re: items of the .303 sort. wink

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Steve:
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope that the first Sunday in the 6th month of 2019 is as bright and clear in your part of our grand land as it is here.

It is, in my view anyway, an interesting question which you've posed and certainly one I've given a lot of thought to over the years.

Although in some ways forums have changed how I gather information on a subject in that I used to buy books and/or seek out folks who I thought would be able to help solve the riddle I was dealing with, nowadays I will also plumb the depths of some forums to see what I can learn.

From the onset of my personal participation, I've attempted to articulate why I take a particular position or offer the background which supports my conclusion. Whenever possible I'd put up some photos if possible as well, though with the ongoing debacle at photobucket and my inability to consistently make the 'Fire photo application work smoothly, that's less simple now.

For the most part I would suggest that the forums mirror my life experience, where a couple of my shooting mentors were disciples of Jack O'Connor and fervently believed that game taking devices began and ended with pre-64 Model 70's, chambered in .270 Winchester and shooting 150gr Sierra Boat Tails. The 130gr Sierra was of course okay Steve, but any idiot could see it blew up too much meat!

Since I was a heretic in that group, my family shooting a variety of .308" diameter cartridges and a 6.5x55, it got pretty sporty around the coffee table sometimes. One particular time I announced that I had to go home quickly and check the freezer to ensure the deer packages didn't rise from the dead since they'd been killed with a .308 Winchester - which was absolutely hated by the group - and a .30-06 which was grudgingly tolerated, but barely.

Anyway Steve, this cyber 'Fire isn't much different in many, many ways. There's the crew who've decided they've found the one, true path and there's the experimenters who are still looking for something "a wee bit better". wink

The trick of course on any forum, is to figure out who is in which camp and then further of course to ascertain how it is they've come to the conclusion they're presenting.

In life often, I'll say to someone - "the evidence doesn't support your current thesis".. grin

All the best to you as we head into the second half of the year Steve.

Dwayne

Dwayne, when I lived in BC 40+ years ago, I had many friends that were hunters. The most popular firearms for hunting back then were the .30-06, the .303 brit, and the 30-30. I did have some friends in the Vanderhoof area that were sold on the 6mm Rem. Hunted everything with them. Wolves, deer, back bear, and moose. But, the 06 & 303 were the most popular.

I think it was mostly based on cartridge availability. I doubt that the deer new if it was hit with a .308 or a .311 bullet. I did not see any 6.5's back in the day.

This is what makes hunting great. CHOICE. We all have a choice in what we use.

Last edited by Owl; 06/04/19.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Priceless Geno !!

I too, have been reading from the start, watching the thread build.

Steve, yes, an interesting question.

Having been around for a while, I kind of know what to expect from most of the veterans, good & bad.

Take & use only what "you" can logically "prove out".

I'm not one for the "Leupy/Loopy" style of thread.

Nothing fancy needed to do what we do.

I know what gets the job done for us, as meat hunters & so we just keep on trucking.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
and that`s why the Liberals are ruling Canada with post like this above me .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Peculiar how a comment from a pleasant and reasonable gentleman on how he assesses information and how as a meat hunter he does not feel the need for something fancy implies that he or his attitude supports Liberals and their gun seizing desires.

I just took his post at face value, perhaps I am missing something? (please note sarcasm font is on only for the last sentence. smile

GRF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
GRF,

as Paul said about my post. Priceless!

Excellent use of the non-available sarcasm font by the way. wink

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pete53
and that`s why the Liberals are ruling Canada with post like this above me .

Anyway Steve, as I stated above, I generally use both Logic & experience, to guide me !

grin

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Works for me. All the best.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by catnthehat
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Entirely depends on who says it.

Exactly !
As far as bashing stuff or other members , it happens everywhere and my experience has been that those that bash a particular piece of gear would see no difference in performance of their favourite and whatever it is they are bashing - be it a Leupold scope or a particular cartridge !
Cat

Exactly!
I base the info received or just read with a grain or 3 of salt, depending of course on who is providing the info.
Some folks are trustworthy sources while others leave a great deal to question. Vulgar ranting etc, I'll laugh at and move on, heck some of it can
be entertaining.
Once you have been a member of the "Fire for awhile, it becomes easy to sort out the cow patties from the bull chips.
Jeff

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I didn't expect to accomplish anything with this thread. I was just curious about frivolous product bashing, and other times when when the wheels fall off the cart. We've all seen it happen. The original intent of the thread is lost and it melts into a puddle of Internets goo. A quick check showed over a thousand Leupold posts in three threads just now.

I am grateful that this thread did not morph into something totally unrelated. Tschüss!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There are some good folk on this forum, and there are some duds. I've found some reputable people here who post info you won't see anywhere else, and the usual garbage. Just have to pick thru the flotsam and occasionally a gem will poke its head up. Ask the same question on different days and you'll get two different sets of answers, all depends who is looking at the question at the time.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Steve , I went to your original post and am Canadian.
I like some of the information but I verify all info.
Trust is another matter.
This site has become alot about issues that don't concern hunting and shooting . I bet many have never been to hunting camp.
I wish there was more coast to coast to coast Canadian content - the best part of the site is J.B. and his invaluable input.....Tony

P
PSE Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I've gotten some very useful information on this website. There's a lot of knowledge available on here.

The Hunter's Campfire forum can be a bit of a gong show at times but the other forums are very informative. You have to pick and choose.
Mule Deer is always interesting reading.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 57 invisible), 2,756 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,885
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.