Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Like most web forums, it's a melting pot of situations, beliefs, experiences and emotions. What about Canadians? Do you agree, in general terms, what is posted in many of these threads? We have fewer equipment choices up here. Canadian laws are different. We don't have all the same critters in Canada. When you are looking to replace the scope on your deer rifle, do you come here looking for advice? I ask because many of the threads go south quickly, and/or posters don't provide support for their POV.

Case in point: The Leupold threads in the Optics forum. All I got from those was a bunch of angry guys, most of whom delighted in Leupold bashing. I don't believe all of the anger or negative criticism is based on actual experience. Some of it seems to be a "follow the leader" type responses. It's great fun to put the company down. The only thing that I took away from those threads was "poor internals". I realize putting down people and things has been going on for years - even before the Illuminati created the Internets. smile

Any "best" thread. Best deer rifle. Best deer bullet. Best factory deer load, etc. Granted, "best of" threads are a staple on every forum of any kind. It would be nice to hear how people came to their conclusions. I really dislike these threads because most people don't explain how they came to their conclusions. A dead deer pic, or a target photo with a small group of holes punched through it isn't worth a lot without an explanation.

When you are looking for advice about replacing the scope on your deer rifle, do you come here looking for information? What do you take away from your inquiry? Or is it simply a place to go, to hang out with others who share many of the the same interests?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not Canadian, but responding anyway. I long ago decided that listening to any zealot required critical evaluation on my part. This is especially true when considering posts (positive or negative) about products here on the 'fire.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Agreed. I understand the desire to participate in a thread, but when someone is looking for information, it really helps to explain why you feel the way you do. The poster must also remember that not all posts should be given equal consideration.

Of course, we both know that this thread won't accomplish much. The innuendo, misinformation and ranting will continue as long as there are public forums. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Like I’ve posted here several times, the Fire is not too unlike eating chicken wings.

You eat the meat, spit out the bones.

Not that hard telling the difference.

DF

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Not too hard for most folks to understand, but we have our share of dim people here. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Depends on the source. I’m friends with a handful of guys on 24HCF, and shoot and hunt regularly with a few of them. Have also met and shot with a couple handfuls more from here and consider them to be very reliable acquaintances. Those guys talk/write, I’m listening. As Dirtfarmer said, the rest is easy to sort the good info from the nonsense.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Not too hard for most folks to understand, but we have our share of dim people here. smile

And everywhere else. Fire no different.

Often we can learn something from almost anyone.

Until someone gets arrogant and/or mean, I consider what they have to say.

Never know when it may be productive. We’ve all had different experiences, sharing is what it’s all about, IMO.

DF

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
The arrogance, rudeness and tough talk results from the supposed anonymity.

You also see the schoolyard 'pile on' mentality. When that happens, threads devolve quickly and the original question gets lost. I believe the pile on happened in the many Leupold threads. I offer as proof that there are a number of them, all with the same 'Slam Leupy' posts from many of the same people. For the people that have owned them and encountered difficulty, their posts are overshadowed by the thread bullies. Heck, it's happened in this forum as well.

I like reading the good news threads. The fun and successful stuff. I try to keep things light, but I'm not always successful. I don't glean much from this forum, but enjoy the cyber company of some of the posters here.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
This site needs to tighten up on the rules and needs better moderation.
It can provide really good info but many won't post their thoughts because of the vile , very personal inbound attacks that can happen here.
Some of it can border on criminal.
I believe unless this is addressed 24 hr campfire will continue to deteriorate and good folks will leave.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by comerade
It can provide really good info but many won't post their thoughts because of the vile , very personal inbound attacks that can happen here.
I believe unless this is addressed 24 hr campfire will continue to deteriorate and good folks will leave.

Advertising pays the bills.

The number of hits determines ad exposure and cost to the advertiser.

So, “our” game may not be THE game.

We’re pawns in a bigger enterprise. We need to enjoy the ride and be thankful for this “free to us” forum.

IMO

DF

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Steve:
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope that the first Sunday in the 6th month of 2019 is as bright and clear in your part of our grand land as it is here.

It is, in my view anyway, an interesting question which you've posed and certainly one I've given a lot of thought to over the years.

Although in some ways forums have changed how I gather information on a subject in that I used to buy books and/or seek out folks who I thought would be able to help solve the riddle I was dealing with, nowadays I will also plumb the depths of some forums to see what I can learn.

From the onset of my personal participation, I've attempted to articulate why I take a particular position or offer the background which supports my conclusion. Whenever possible I'd put up some photos if possible as well, though with the ongoing debacle at photobucket and my inability to consistently make the 'Fire photo application work smoothly, that's less simple now.

For the most part I would suggest that the forums mirror my life experience, where a couple of my shooting mentors were disciples of Jack O'Connor and fervently believed that game taking devices began and ended with pre-64 Model 70's, chambered in .270 Winchester and shooting 150gr Sierra Boat Tails. The 130gr Sierra was of course okay Steve, but any idiot could see it blew up too much meat!

Since I was a heretic in that group, my family shooting a variety of .308" diameter cartridges and a 6.5x55, it got pretty sporty around the coffee table sometimes. One particular time I announced that I had to go home quickly and check the freezer to ensure the deer packages didn't rise from the dead since they'd been killed with a .308 Winchester - which was absolutely hated by the group - and a .30-06 which was grudgingly tolerated, but barely.

Anyway Steve, this cyber 'Fire isn't much different in many, many ways. There's the crew who've decided they've found the one, true path and there's the experimenters who are still looking for something "a wee bit better". wink

The trick of course on any forum, is to figure out who is in which camp and then further of course to ascertain how it is they've come to the conclusion they're presenting.

In life often, I'll say to someone - "the evidence doesn't support your current thesis".. grin

All the best to you as we head into the second half of the year Steve.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by comerade

Uh that's a negative on more moderation that has lead to the downfall of several hunting forums. The lack of moderation is the reason people come here. Also if you don't like a post because it's bordering personal/vile report it to Ric believe it or not he will take care of it, if it's that bad. Now to the OP I'm not Canadian but I take what people post here with a grain of salt. I read the leupold bashing don't bother me majority of my rifle have leupolds. If I want to look for good reloading advice I head to nosler forums in the reloading section.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There is a fair bit of correlation for me on source and trust. I'm old enough to recognize the difference between fact and bullchips.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Entirely depends on who says it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Exactly !
As far as bashing stuff or other members , it happens everywhere and my experience has been that those that bash a particular piece of gear would see no difference in performance of their favourite and whatever it is they are bashing - be it a Leupold scope or a particular cartridge !
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good morning to my Northern neighbors!

Anonymity makes the hemorrhoids swell, no doubt.
But the 'Fire is normal life, expanded.

There are valuable gems all over, one just needs to be savvy enough to see them.
There is also a lot of slag. Sometimes, the slag is humorous, sometimes sulfuric.

Sometimes, it's just like being in a gun shop.
Bullstuff so deep you want to scream!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by catnthehat
...As far as bashing stuff or other members , it happens everywhere and my experience has been that those that bash a particular piece of gear would see no difference in performance of their favourite and whatever it is they are bashing - be it a Leupold scope or a particular cartridge!
Cat

There certainly is enough of that going on around here.

Grumpiness - It's what science has determined to be a symptom of low testosterone. An increasingly common affliction among the over 40 male. https://www.everydayhealth.com/mens-health/low-testosterone-can-make-men-grumpy.aspx

This group doesn't realize that they are keeping the reputation of the Fudd alive. https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Fudd

A shame really.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Steve, I have been here a long time, and I have a number of people that I trust and read every post that I see that they make, no matter the subject. I have others that I avoid, and still others that I have on ignore, for some of the things that they have posted in the past. All new members have the opportunity to join one of those groups. There is one more group that I read and take what they say with a grain of salt. Now I don't just look at one forum, I go to the active topics and go through it, looking for things that interest me. I have made some very good friends from here. Some that I have met in person and some that are just friends, but good friends just the same. After a while you figure people out. I will ask, and trust advice from a lot of these. Some I will read and then forget their advice, unless after a while they seem to be giving good advice. Kinda like I do in the real world. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Like I’ve posted here several times, the Fire is not too unlike eating chicken wings.

You eat the meat, spit out the bones.

Not that hard telling the difference.

DF

The above sums it up beautifully.

Different folks have different experiences, I'll pick on CowboyTim, dude would be an awesome source for information on most things 8x57; knowledgeable, friendly and more than willing to share his knowledge and experience and very clear in his biases. Perhaps not the go to guy on the 6mm Creedmor.

Lots of good information here and people more than willing to share via posts, PMs and telephone calls.

Just my thoughts.

GRF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It's the INTERNET!

It must be true.

ish

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
When you are looking for advice about replacing the scope on your deer rifle, do you come here looking for information?

There are a handful of people on the Campfire who are reliable sources of good information. I know who they are.

For example you are one of the first people I'd come to for advice on the .303 or any flavor of Lee Enfield - and you are here on the Campfire.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
trust maybe ? Canada yes i have relatives in Canada,yes there are some wonderful people that live in Canada. somehow Canada needs to get rid of more Liberals they are ruining Canada, here in America we almost have that problem too ? but many of us fight the gun right battle and that is a bigger deal than people understand ,it is not just one thing the Liberals these Liberals want it all , one piece at a time. American`s chased England out of America many many years ago with guns,Canadian`s should do the same thing somehow ?>get rid of Liberal England before you have no guns and no rights anymore. but i bet no one does anything to save your rights ? America did we voted in Donald Trump as our President and the liberals are still whinning !

Last edited by pete53; 06/04/19.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Steve,

Good day to you and all the Canadian folks there. Sorry you all have to watch American teams compete for Lord Stanley's Cup, but that's the breaks this year. "My" team lost in the 3rd round too, so I'm not the happiest. But at least it's hockey.

Now that I've taken care of preliminary banter, I counted about 21 posts before the thread devolved and the original topic was lost.

Yes, I trust what I read on the Campfire, but like others have said, it's based on the source (s). So much of what is posted seems to be taken as gospel by select groups, even when refuted by facts, the true kind. You know, the ones with evidence backing them up.

Interesting post Steve,

Thanks.

PS, there's one source here I tend to trust re: items of the .303 sort. wink

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Steve:
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope that the first Sunday in the 6th month of 2019 is as bright and clear in your part of our grand land as it is here.

It is, in my view anyway, an interesting question which you've posed and certainly one I've given a lot of thought to over the years.

Although in some ways forums have changed how I gather information on a subject in that I used to buy books and/or seek out folks who I thought would be able to help solve the riddle I was dealing with, nowadays I will also plumb the depths of some forums to see what I can learn.

From the onset of my personal participation, I've attempted to articulate why I take a particular position or offer the background which supports my conclusion. Whenever possible I'd put up some photos if possible as well, though with the ongoing debacle at photobucket and my inability to consistently make the 'Fire photo application work smoothly, that's less simple now.

For the most part I would suggest that the forums mirror my life experience, where a couple of my shooting mentors were disciples of Jack O'Connor and fervently believed that game taking devices began and ended with pre-64 Model 70's, chambered in .270 Winchester and shooting 150gr Sierra Boat Tails. The 130gr Sierra was of course okay Steve, but any idiot could see it blew up too much meat!

Since I was a heretic in that group, my family shooting a variety of .308" diameter cartridges and a 6.5x55, it got pretty sporty around the coffee table sometimes. One particular time I announced that I had to go home quickly and check the freezer to ensure the deer packages didn't rise from the dead since they'd been killed with a .308 Winchester - which was absolutely hated by the group - and a .30-06 which was grudgingly tolerated, but barely.

Anyway Steve, this cyber 'Fire isn't much different in many, many ways. There's the crew who've decided they've found the one, true path and there's the experimenters who are still looking for something "a wee bit better". wink

The trick of course on any forum, is to figure out who is in which camp and then further of course to ascertain how it is they've come to the conclusion they're presenting.

In life often, I'll say to someone - "the evidence doesn't support your current thesis".. grin

All the best to you as we head into the second half of the year Steve.

Dwayne

Dwayne, when I lived in BC 40+ years ago, I had many friends that were hunters. The most popular firearms for hunting back then were the .30-06, the .303 brit, and the 30-30. I did have some friends in the Vanderhoof area that were sold on the 6mm Rem. Hunted everything with them. Wolves, deer, back bear, and moose. But, the 06 & 303 were the most popular.

I think it was mostly based on cartridge availability. I doubt that the deer new if it was hit with a .308 or a .311 bullet. I did not see any 6.5's back in the day.

This is what makes hunting great. CHOICE. We all have a choice in what we use.

Last edited by Owl; 06/04/19.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Priceless Geno !!

I too, have been reading from the start, watching the thread build.

Steve, yes, an interesting question.

Having been around for a while, I kind of know what to expect from most of the veterans, good & bad.

Take & use only what "you" can logically "prove out".

I'm not one for the "Leupy/Loopy" style of thread.

Nothing fancy needed to do what we do.

I know what gets the job done for us, as meat hunters & so we just keep on trucking.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
and that`s why the Liberals are ruling Canada with post like this above me .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Peculiar how a comment from a pleasant and reasonable gentleman on how he assesses information and how as a meat hunter he does not feel the need for something fancy implies that he or his attitude supports Liberals and their gun seizing desires.

I just took his post at face value, perhaps I am missing something? (please note sarcasm font is on only for the last sentence. smile

GRF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
GRF,

as Paul said about my post. Priceless!

Excellent use of the non-available sarcasm font by the way. wink

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pete53
and that`s why the Liberals are ruling Canada with post like this above me .

Anyway Steve, as I stated above, I generally use both Logic & experience, to guide me !

grin

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Works for me. All the best.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by catnthehat

Exactly !
As far as bashing stuff or other members , it happens everywhere and my experience has been that those that bash a particular piece of gear would see no difference in performance of their favourite and whatever it is they are bashing - be it a Leupold scope or a particular cartridge !
Cat

Exactly!
I base the info received or just read with a grain or 3 of salt, depending of course on who is providing the info.
Some folks are trustworthy sources while others leave a great deal to question. Vulgar ranting etc, I'll laugh at and move on, heck some of it can
be entertaining.
Once you have been a member of the "Fire for awhile, it becomes easy to sort out the cow patties from the bull chips.
Jeff

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I didn't expect to accomplish anything with this thread. I was just curious about frivolous product bashing, and other times when when the wheels fall off the cart. We've all seen it happen. The original intent of the thread is lost and it melts into a puddle of Internets goo. A quick check showed over a thousand Leupold posts in three threads just now.

I am grateful that this thread did not morph into something totally unrelated. Tschüss!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There are some good folk on this forum, and there are some duds. I've found some reputable people here who post info you won't see anywhere else, and the usual garbage. Just have to pick thru the flotsam and occasionally a gem will poke its head up. Ask the same question on different days and you'll get two different sets of answers, all depends who is looking at the question at the time.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Steve , I went to your original post and am Canadian.
I like some of the information but I verify all info.
Trust is another matter.
This site has become alot about issues that don't concern hunting and shooting . I bet many have never been to hunting camp.
I wish there was more coast to coast to coast Canadian content - the best part of the site is J.B. and his invaluable input.....Tony

P
PSE Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I've gotten some very useful information on this website. There's a lot of knowledge available on here.

The Hunter's Campfire forum can be a bit of a gong show at times but the other forums are very informative. You have to pick and choose.
Mule Deer is always interesting reading.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

103 members (338reddog, 260Remguy, 44automag, 4xbear, 673, 444Matt, 15 invisible), 1,690 guests, and 942 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,188
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.