Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
wyo1895 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It seems to be a slow day on the forum so here is an OT.
The wheels have been on it for a week or two but this is the first day it was warm enough and dry enough to take it for a ride. It's buddy the 55 Chevy first series pickup is in the background. It also got a new 12V alternator and 2 six volt batteries wired in series under the seat.
[Linked Image]

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Put 4 brand new rotor's & pad's and an oil change with my BIL last Saturday on my ride.Two front strut's this coming week.It's nice taking a break with the gun chit. [Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Hot rods nice but the ute is a ripper, sorry pick up

Johno

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Here's old pics of the only two Ford cars I've ever owned. The first one is for Johno, and the second for David.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
At the time I had the 39 Ford, I had a Columbia 2 speed rear out of a 48 Lincoln and wanted to put it in the coupe with a Paxton Super Charger on the Flat Head. But, I ran across a 37 Cord 810 and sold the Ford to buy it.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B2

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Nice roadster wyo!

My first car back in the late '70s was ALMOST a '40 Willy's Coupe ex drag car from the Gasser days.
It had fiberglass full tilt front end, doors, and trunk lid. Engine was a built 392 Hemi.
Mom was against it and Dad said it was a money pit.... Later on it sold for $600.
So I bought a '65 Mustang coupe for the same amount of money.
Beat the snot outta that Lil Pony Car.

We don't take friends camping... we MAKE friends camping!
wyo1895 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It's hard to keep them all. I've always liked the 39's. I'm hoping to buy a 33 or 34 Coupe some day so I can have a cool weather driver. I won't drive any of them once there is snow on the roads but some days it too cool and windy for the roadster. Of course I can and do drive the ute then. But then I've had the ute for 24 years so it's old news.

wyo1895
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If I was to pick from Ford's pickups, the 35 has always been at the top of my list followed by the 36 as a close second and then the 40/41. I harbor a dream to build up an "old school" flat head V-8 one day. I once had a 37 Ford PU and a 38 Chevy, but those stories really aren't worth telling so I won't.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i drive this every day in the spring, summer, fall somewhere on the place. it can sit for an entire winter and start almost on first crank. it's one of those "i'm gonna restore it" projects. has been for 25 years.
[Linked Image]

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
wyo1895 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
No one has asked what a Ute is?

wyo1895
[email protected]

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by wyo1895

You need to watch more Aussie shows on Netflix wink

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I know. I had to ask a west coast Aussy, many years ago, who had sent me a .22 ammo box for my collection. Some how we got onto vehicles and he kept bring up ute's. Sent me some photos of what was used down under.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Not interested IN THE LEAST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by wyo1895

I give up. What is a Ute?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Utility Vehicle. Very widely used term, even includes SUVs from what I've observed.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally more of a small car with a truck bed vs a back seat area.

Rick...

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Rick, thats how they started out farmers chopping the back off of a sedan and grafting a rear wall and a flat bed. I think we went into production of the first ute before anyone else, that being the rear tub formed as part of the cab of the vehicle

In 1992 I went to Arizona and bought 3 mustangs and brought them back down here, this was purely a money making thing and it sort of worked. I stumbled into a huge wrecking yard when driving back to LA, thought i'd died and gone to heaven the pick ups and old Studies that were there.

Its nice to see these old cars

Joe that looks like what we sold here as a Mark 2 Zephyr

Johno

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Rick99
Originally more of a small car with a truck bed vs a back seat area.

Yep, I always wanted a 56 Chrysler Ute, with a 392 Hemi. If you think shipping down under is high, I sold a chainsaw to a fellow in Australia, and it cost $474 dollars to ship. Try having a 56 Chrysler shipped state side. I actually found one years ago, but when I told the guy I wanted to bring it here, he said sorry, he wouldn't let it leave the country.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Joe, if you can find the vehicle you are after make sure its running ok and get as a roll on roll off much cheaper than a container, always happy to help I can
just let me know

John

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm pretty much done with my cars. If I ever get my Cuda back together I'll be a happy camper.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
wyo1895 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The Ford Ranchero and Chevy El Camino were kind of following the Ute concept. There were quite a few cars with the bodies cut off behind the front doors (and some behind the windshield) with homemade wooden flatbeds running around central Florida when I was growing up. It must have been cheaper to buy a sedan and cut off the back than to buy a pickup or the family car got replaced by a newer model and got turned into a Ute.

wyo1895
[email protected]

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have the "Ute" my great-grandfather built out of a fresh off the car lot brand new 1930 Model A Ford. My gramps, and then my Dad, and then me always threatened to bring it back to life but none of us ever got a "round tuit". It's too far gone now.

The old man went up to the rural Ford dealership one morning where my Gramps was working as a mechanic, with the expressed intent of buying a pickup truck (his first ever motor vehicle). Upon being informed there wasn't any available at the time, but one could be brought in within a day or two, he stubbornly pointed at a new coupe and said "I'll take that one instead. I ain't waiting around, and I got cash money." They had to give him driving lessons right there in the lot, in front of a small crowd of passer's by and the rummies who bailed out of the tap room across the road. My Gramps said he stood in the back disbelieving what his Old Man was up to, but knew better than to interfere. There was no talking sense to that old guy. Great Gramps lurched that car down the road to his farm and proceeded to remove most of the body off that new car, leaving just the cowl and engine cover in place, no windshield, no fenders, no nothing. A new wooden truck bed was fashioned, and an old wooden wagon seat installed to sit on. Voilà, a truck. It served him for 20 years of hauling fruit, veggies, and chickens over the Dornsife Mountain to market every Saturday. Jeezuz, he was a tough bastid.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wyo1895,
Love the 55 pickup!!! Right now my ute is a Ford Raptor. In town, there are other choices....... like my 1968 Datsun 2000 Roadster in the photo. Have a 1958 Triumph TR3 in pieces in the garage that I need to start working on "in my free time."

[Linked Image]

It ain't like it used to be but it'll do.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
We like a tiny bit more horsepower around here,like 750. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JohnL
Wyo1895,
Love the 55 pickup!!! Right now my ute is a Ford Raptor. In town, there are other choices....... like my 1968 Datsun 2000 Roadster in the photo. Have a 1958 Triumph TR3 in pieces in the garage that I need to start working on "in my free time."

[Linked Image]

There's something you don't see much of anymore. I still remember the arguments between the Datsun guys and the MGB guys as to which one was better. That TR-3 really needs to breathe again!

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Nice Hot Rod David!

Still playing with the 66 Fairlane.

Steve

“Alive in JESUS!”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Anything that you can't put a dead bloody deer on or in, that you can't slap into 4 wheel drive and spin your way out of a mud hole, or can't hook a chain to and pull a tree stump out with, or can't pull a fishin' boat with or carry your hunting dogs with...is useless to me.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Well, I hauled a few deer in the trunks of MGB's. Anymore, I try like hell to avoid all those other scenarios, so a truck means little to me. The couple of days a year when I would find one mighty handy don't justify the extra cost in gas, maintenance, and insurance to keep one around the rest of the year, and having driven pickups as daily drivers in the past taught me I don't want to in the future.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Well, I hauled a few deer in the trunks of MGB's. Anymore, I try like hell to avoid all those other scenarios, so a truck means little to me. The couple of days a year when I would find one mighty handy don't justify the extra cost in gas, maintenance, and insurance to keep one around the rest of the year, and having driven pickups as daily drivers in the past taught me I don't want to in the future.

Can we disagree on this point and still be friends?

grin

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I hauled a deer in a fiberglass dune buggy once. Since it was VW powered, I actually pushed it further than I drove it.

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
[quote=99guy

Can we disagree on this point and still be friends?

grin[/quote]

Oh, hell yes!!!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I wish I had a pic of my 63 International Harvester one ton pick up. No dually's back then, 7.50X16 split rim mud and snow tires. The odd thing about the bed was it had a 9' step side. I could put a full cord of firewood in it and it hardly went down to the helper springs. Big inline 6 with granny four speed, 4X4. It had been a power line inspection truck in the mountains of Western MD. It would fit Randy's specs. I just did a search and the model was a C1300 and the bed was actually 9 1/2'.

Last edited by JoeMartin; 06/04/19.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Too bad Savage never got into automobile manufacturing. Aside from Arthur's tire venture, did he pop out any other automotive related gizmos, ideas, patents? I could have pictured him building a line of motorcycles in a plant next door to the gun factory too.

wyo1895 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Couldn't live out here without my 4 wheel drive Dodges but variety is the spice of life therefore the hot rod and the Ute. The 2005 2500 is so beat up we call it the battered Ram.

wyo1895
[email protected]

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I bought a 1948 Pontiac convertible in the late 80's,it was a full size model car kit,it was 86,311 pieces,lol.It had been a late 50's hot rod,red and white roll and pleated interior,lightly padded top,389 w/ 3 deuces. The motor had been blown up years ago and had been through 3 owners since.I spent 2 years putting it back together,the directions had long been lost lol.I sold the 3 deuce manifold and bought a straight 8 to go back in it.I got it going,drove it around town with a 6 gallon Johnson boat tank,was fun.They called it ''The old tennis shoe''.Quit my job and went to work as an electrician's apprentice,sold the car as income level went way down for about 4 years.A guy from British Columbia bought it,2200 miles from me.I don't know what ever happened to it after that.It was a cool car

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My story about cars and trucks is a little different. The first time my dad saw me showing an interest in cars he said "I'm a carpenter not a mechanic so don't ever drive home anything that needs fixing or drips oil !!!" He bought a new one every 5 years. I kind of followed in his foot steps. More time for firearms. grin

Rick...

wyo1895 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Rick, your dad sounds like mine. He said I'm a house painter, I don't expect other people to paint their houses and not going to work on cars. However, it didn't rub off on me. I love to tinker with them and once upon a time I restored old Harleys from the ground up.

wyo1895
[email protected]

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
[Linked Image]
Been having a blast with my Chevy powered 1942 Willys. Was originally a drag racer, but now a street rig.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I have the "Ute" my great-grandfather built out of a fresh off the car lot brand new 1930 Model A Ford. My gramps, and then my Dad, and then me always threatened to bring it back to life but none of us ever got a "round tuit". It's too far gone now.

The old man went up to the rural Ford dealership one morning where my Gramps was working as a mechanic, with the expressed intent of buying a pickup truck (his first ever motor vehicle). Upon being informed there wasn't any available at the time, but one could be brought in within a day or two, he stubbornly pointed at a new coupe and said "I'll take that one instead. I ain't waiting around, and I got cash money." They had to give him driving lessons right there in the lot, in front of a small crowd of passer's by and the rummies who bailed out of the tap room across the road. My Gramps said he stood in the back disbelieving what his Old Man was up to, but knew better than to interfere. There was no talking sense to that old guy. Great Gramps lurched that car down the road to his farm and proceeded to remove most of the body off that new car, leaving just the cowl and engine cover in place, no windshield, no fenders, no nothing. A new wooden truck bed was fashioned, and an old wooden wagon seat installed to sit on. Voilà, a truck. It served him for 20 years of hauling fruit, veggies, and chickens over the Dornsife Mountain to market every Saturday. Jeezuz, he was a tough bastid.

That's freakin' cool and hilarious at the same time. Laughing.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
wyo1895 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
That Willys is cool!

wyo1895
[email protected]

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Glad ya kept it a flat head !!

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
My mistake, I thought I was on a serious Savage rifle site, but it seems I accidentally logged onto my exotic car forum. Still, I enjoy the pics.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

My great-grandfather was justice of the peace and school teacher at the one room schoolhouse in Dornsife. One day he went out and bought himself a Model T and after some instruction drove it back to the farm. According to my uncle he was going to park it in the barn and was heard to yell, "Woah, Woah!" like he was commanding his mules as he crashed through the back of the barn. One of the boys drove from then on with my grandfather being the usual driver.

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tomygun1
My mistake, I thought I was on a serious Savage rifle site, but it seems I accidentally logged onto my exotic car forum. Still, I enjoy the pics.

Hey Tom too bad this isn't an old Dodge truck thread, you and I would be in like Flynn.

LOL
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I still remember the arguments between the Datsun guys and the MGB guys as to which one was better.

Well had a MGB and they were neat, but bonnet was up more than down! Is the Datsun reliable?

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
wyo1895 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
We're taking the hot rod on a poker run today. May post some pics later.
Tom, it's not unusual for collectors to be interested in more than one thing. We share our other interests here sometimes.

wyo1895
[email protected]

wyo1895 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Boy what a bust! The flyer said "cars, trucks and motorcycles". Our hot rod, a nice 1960 Impala 2 door hardtop and about 40 modern motorcycles showed up. I didn't get a chance to photograph the Impala and had no interest in modern motor sickles.

wyo1895
[email protected]

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
David, All the bikes are over here for Laconia this week!!! usually about 100,000 show up. Aint hardly safe to be on the road. don

wyo1895 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The poker run was going from bar to bar. We stayed well behind the crowd so any of them went down we wouldn't bend the hot rod. I'm being mean. My wife is an RN and we would have stopped and rendered first aid. Some of them were really loaded when we got to the last bar. It was smokey and crowded and loud. Been there, done that and have a lot of T-shirts. We had one drink and went home.

wyo1895
[email protected]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 56 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,536
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.