Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Quick rant ...

I had my eye on a Winchester Bull Gun in 30-06 with Redfield sights. The stock was chopped, then glued back together, so the collector value was gone. Opening bid on Proxibid was $800, which I bid before the auction started. I check in later, says it was sold on-site for .... $800. WTF? How can it be sold onsite if I put that bid in first? And this was an Amoskeag auction, which I thought had a decent reputation.

Now I will say I'm familiar enough with Proxibid to keep an eye on their premiums which can border extraordinary at times. And I know that if you put in a "max" bid, even though the website says it will bid up to that amount, they just go straight to your high bid.

BP-B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Is it possible that there was an $800.00 telephone/internet bid placed directly with the auction house before you placed the $800.00 Proxibid? In the event of identical maximum bids, the first bid placed will be the winner.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I placed my bid before the bidding started for the day.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

It’s not possible that someone placed a bid before you did before bidding opened for the day?
Have you contacted the auction house for an explanation?

Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I've encountered the same situation. Bids are time stamped according to my understanding and in the case of both bids in the same amount, the earliest bid rules. Telephone bids can be called in as soon as the catalog becomes available, so it could have happened a couple weeks or so earlier.
Phil

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Go figure I haven't heard anything back from Proxibid or Amoskeag. I did find these little nuggets in their "Special Terms"

• The highest bidder acknowledged by the auctioneer shall become the owner upon the fall of the hammer. The auctioneer has sole discretion in the case of a dispute among bidders.
• Amoskeag Auction Company, Inc. reserves the right to reject any bid in order to protect our consignors interests.

Basically, the auctioneer has the right to do whatever they want and to hell with your bids.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by TenX
I've encountered the same situation. Bids are time stamped according to my understanding and in the case of both bids in the same amount, the earliest bid rules. Telephone bids can be called in as soon as the catalog becomes available, so it could have happened a couple weeks or so earlier.
Phil

My understanding also.

Hunter S. Thompson
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Could it be that Amoskeag protected their consignor's interest by avoiding extra fees charged by Proxibid?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A bid on the floor of most auctions I am aware of, of equal value to a telephone or internet bid is the winner.

Your bid has to be higher than the floor bidder or you lose, don't matter when you placed it.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Took this directly off Amoskeag's website:

"Absentee bids will be bid in a competitive manner and an absentee bidder needs only to outbid another buyer"

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Found this example on RIA website:

Explains it better:

: An absentee bid is placed on a lot for $1000. Live bidders and other absentee bids at the auction bid the lot up to $900. At that point, we advance the bid on the sealed bidder’s behalf to $950. If there is no raise, the sealed bidder wins the lot for $950. However, the auctioneer asks for $1000 and if a competing live bidder bids $1000, we of course will take the bid. Looking at the sealed bid in this case, the sealed bidder told us not to spend more than $1,000. We are not authorized to go to $1,100 for the absentee bidder, so the live bidder is the successful buyer at the $1000 bid point even though it is exactly the same as the sealed bidder

~Admiral Yamamoto~

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I’ve always understood that my bid as an absentee bidder had to outbid any live bidder and all absentee bids would be time stamped in order to settle a tie.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
677 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,905 guests, and 1,422 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,478
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.