Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I don't see many posted.

Any of you guys collect/like them?

I just picked up a long time "GRAIL" of mine, a 24V in 357Maxi/20Ga.

CW

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
on again off again affair for me. if i could find a cheap enough one in 30-30 over 12gauge i would be on again.
had my first one when i was 11. a 22lr /410. killed my first deer with a 410 slug out of it.
price has gone crazy.

Last edited by deerstalker; 05/31/19.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There's folks here that know them very well. Had a very complete display at a couple of our SavageFests.

The 375/20ga is definitely a hard to find and popular one. Congrats!

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Courtesy Savage24 at Savage Fest.

[Linked Image]

"Every day above ground is a good day."
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The first auction I went to looking for 99's, there was a 24 and a 99F T/D. One or two kids looked at the 1926 F, not one adult picked it up. A bunch of guys looked at the 24. I think it sold for over $300. I got the 99 for $140.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I happened to get one about 4 months ago.

357 Mag over 20 gauge.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't think that I've ever seen one of the brushed chrome 24VS camper in 357 MAX over 20 gauge and I've never owned a 24V in 357 MAX over 20.

I currently have 12 Savage 24s:

22/410
22M/410
22/20
22M/20(x2)
22H/20
222/20(x2)
223/20(x2)
30-30/20
357/20

One of the 223/20s is a 24V with an RD serial number prefix.

The other 223/20 is a 24F that I've kept as a truck gun. I don't understand why Savage chose to put a low comp height stock on the 24Fs when they superseded the 24Vs.

The 22M/410 is a Westpoint 242 that I rechambered from .22 LR and like to carry when woods loafing.

I had a 24F in 30-30/12, but I didn't like it.

I've had 3 24Vs in 357 MAG and 1 that was rechambered from 357 MAG to 357 MAX, but never a factory chambered 357 MAX.

It's too bad that the rifle barrels can't be regulated.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've told this story many times here but,

I had a 22 Mag over 20 that I paid $135 for in about 1985 that I used as a truck gun while I was tree farming for about 25 years. That thing rode around in the back of my truck under the tools, log chains, muddy boots, wet rain gear, chain saws, bar oil, gas cans, you name it. When people got in the back of my truck they would step on it, kick it out of the way, throw it to the other side of the truck, you name it. It got used like a bent piece of re-rod iron. That gun killed a dump truck load of ground hogs, feral cats. deer running curs, barn rats, black snakes, rabbits, pheasants, coyotes, foxes, snapping turtles, and a couple of deer and turkeys as well. Probably killed some other stuff with it that I can't even remember. I would dig that thing out from under all the junk and bang dead every single time.

Somebody stole my truck one night, drove it through the turnpike fence and took it to Philly and dumped it. Took all my stuff including the gun and left me a bucket full of KFC chicken bones.

Was that you Joe?

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Before Bearrr264 got sick, he talked about hauling his 32' Rinker and an 18' Zodiac to use for hunting the northern end of Lake Winnipeg. In conjunction with that hunt he talked about rechambering a 24V from 357 to 356 WIN. I think that would have been an unsafe modification, but it never came about 'cause he got sick and never saw that dream though to its conclusion.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I quite like them

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like those Bushnell Banner 4x20 scopes, the 72-4220-0 style, on Savage 24s too. That is the scope that I installed on my 22M/410, but with Weaver adapters and B-Square rings instead of .22 rings.

I like the two-tone squirrel. We have fox and black fox, but I don't recall seeing any that were mixed color like that one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 22mag / 20ga. It is my 4wheeler gun around the leased farm. I would like it a lot more if the trigger was about 15 pounds lighter. It is great for what I use it for.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thanks for sharin guys! Some real nice Savages for sure!!

I have two on the bench for repair here.

My 222/20 broke its extractor. I have been looking and surfin parts sites for most of a month. By chance I found that numrich had brand new 222 Extractors in stock even tho a couple
Searches came up empty. The are loosin sales for sure with there search... Any how I found it last week and should have it Tomorrow. Im sure some fitting will be needed. I just hope its not as bad as some horror stories I have read.

Second is my 357/20’s butt stock. I knew when I got it is had seen rough use and was broken and cracked. I saw the repairs to the sides of the tang but the crack thats opened up in the center rear fo the tang has grown in the few shots I have taken. I can absolutely fix this 100%, BUT finish will suffer and Id probably need to paint to cover all the pins and epoxy lines. Its cheaper and easier to buy a new one. I found a local supplier where I could see and choose my stock. Only “issue” is the 357’s have a slightly different stock then most other 24’s. But near as I can tell, I just need to remove the protrusions to the sides and adj angle. Both pretty easily done.

Ill know tomorrow. Once its fit to the receiver, Ill adj LOP and fit a thin Decellorator pad . Also it looks like I might loose the grip cap and white line spacer. Ill decide If I want to move it from old stock. But probably not as the forend as nothing white, only checkering. Something that this replacement also will not have. I have done some checkering and have the tools. Maybe Ill add a copy pattern. Time will tell.

Cw

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 99guy
I've told this story many times here but,

I had a 22 Mag over 20 that I paid $135 for in about 1985 that I used as a truck gun while I was tree farming for about 25 years. That thing rode around in the back of my truck under the tools, log chains, muddy boots, wet rain gear, chain saws, bar oil, gas cans, you name it. When people got in the back of my truck they would step on it, kick it out of the way, throw it to the other side of the truck, you name it. It got used like a bent piece of re-rod iron. That gun killed a dump truck load of ground hogs, feral cats. deer running curs, barn rats, black snakes, rabbits, pheasants, coyotes, foxes, snapping turtles, and a couple of deer and turkeys as well. Probably killed some other stuff with it that I can't even remember. I would dig that thing out from under all the junk and bang dead every single time.

Somebody stole my truck one night, drove it through the turnpike fence and took it to Philly and dumped it. Took all my stuff including the gun and left me a bucket full of KFC chicken bones.

Was that you Joe?

Definitely not this Joe. I’d have kept the saws, chains, and can’t hook, and left the gun. They never tripped my wire.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have an older 24 with no serial number that has is in excellent condition and has been re-blued and restocked with 2 very nice pieces of Walnut. Just a good old gun that does exactly what it is supposed to without a peep.

When the 42 came out, I bought one without researching it. What a mistake, a total POS. Got rid of it on a trade pronto.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cwlongshot

My 222/20 broke its extractor. I have been looking and surfin parts sites for most of a month. By chance I found that numrich had brand new 222 Extractors in stock even tho a couple
Searches came up empty. The are loosin sales for sure with there search... Any how I found it last week and should have it Tomorrow. Im sure some fitting will be needed. I just hope its not as bad as some horror stories I have read.

Second is my 357/20’s butt stock. I knew when I got it is had seen rough use and was broken and cracked. I saw the repairs to the sides of the tang but the crack thats opened up in the center rear fo the tang has grown in the few shots I have taken. I can absolutely fix this 100%, BUT finish will suffer and Id probably need to paint to cover all the pins and epoxy lines. Its cheaper and easier to buy a new one. I found a local supplier where I could see and choose my stock. Only “issue” is the 357’s have a slightly different stock then most other 24’s. But near as I can tell, I just need to remove the protrusions to the sides and adj angle. Both pretty easily done.

Ill know tomorrow. Once its fit to the receiver, Ill adj LOP and fit a thin Decellorator pad . Also it looks like I might loose the grip cap and white line spacer. Ill decide If I want to move it from old stock. But probably not as the forend as nothing white, only checkering. Something that this replacement also will not have. I have done some checkering and have the tools. Maybe Ill add a copy pattern. Time will tell.

Cw

The stock designs/configurations weren't the same during the entire run of the 24 series guns, some being flat where they meet the action and some having the "protrusions", so the stock design on your gun isn't unique to those with a 357 barrel, but to the series and time-frame that it was made.

Did you check with Jack First in Rapid City, SD, to see if they have a matching forearm?

I don't think that the people who run GPC are losing any sleep over potentially lost sale, since they are probably the place that most people start when looking for a part.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I passed up a 22/410 wit the tenite stock in real nice shape this weekend for $349 asking price.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
thats 349 towards another 99!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by cwlongshot

Cw

The stock designs/configurations weren't the same during the entire run of the 24 series guns, some being flat where they meet the action and some having the "protrusions", so the stock design on your gun isn't unique to those with a 357 barrel, but to the series and time-frame that it was made.

Did you check with Jack First in Rapid City, SD, to see if they have a matching forearm?

I don't think that the people who run GPC are losing any sleep over potentially lost sale, since they are probably the place that most people start when looking for a part.

I did look to Jack First yes but not specific for a for stock. (They did not have the butt or the extractor for the 222)

OK, I understand in the productions. Makes good sense. I have seen three styles on the 24’s. But only ever seen straight on the 357/357 Max series D.

CW

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
336 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,729
Posts18,400,838
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.