-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There’s been a few threads about Fire members Dad’s who were in W2, either in Europe or the Pacific.

Many came home with tonnage in medals earned on their chests...I Never read a thread where the man who was heroic in battle wasn’t described as a calm, kind, loyal and humorous person in life after the war.

It would seem there’s a commonality in the men who just did the job, because it had to be done...😎

RIP
Audie Murphy

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
GB1

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
My daughter in law has a little niece who is in the Air Force. Niece’s husband is in AF too. Last monday they were at Arlington. She sent this photo to her Uncle James (old son).

[Linked Image]

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
My daughter in law has a little niece who is in the Air Force. Niece’s husband is in AF too. Last monday they were at Arlington. She sent this photo to her Uncle James (old son).

[Linked Image]

Thanks for posting that Bob!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In the mid 1950's Hollywood actors started holding fast draw contests and Hugh O'Brian claimed to be the fastest. There is an apparently true story repeated that on a movie set with Audie Murphy, O'Brian pestered Murphy to see who was the fastest. Murphy showed no interest and finally said, “OK, with live ammunition.” O'Brian wisely backed down.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Audie was from our area in Hunt County. We have a small museum in Greenville, Texas for him.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
OrangeOkie,

Fwiw, there a few flaws in the article about MAJ Murphy (He made Major in the TXARNG) was that the ARMY, NAVY, USAAC & the Marines turned him down, as "unsuitable for military service". = He WAS allowed to join the 3/144th Infantry Regiment, TXARNG & when he attended basic training, he was allowed to enlist in the Active Army for a period "of the World War plus 6 months".
(After he received the MoH, I've wondered how embarrassed that all of the people must have been to NOT have accepted THE MOST DECORATED soldier of WWII into their branch of service because of "unsuitability".)

When he was released from AD with the US Army, 1LT Murphy returned to the TXARNG, was promoted to Captain & later to Major.
(He was a Major at retirement from the Texas Guard. - We of the 3/144th Infantry are VERY PROUD of his valor & service, whether AD or ARNG and that he was "one of ours".

Btw, my mother taught Audie (8th Grade English) & all of his sisters (Vocational Home Economics) when she taught school in Elysian Fields. - (After Mother passed away at age 99YO in SEP 2016, we found a long letter from 2LT Murphy in Mother's Bible, that he wrote her just before Christmas 1944 & while he was hospitalized in an Army hospital with a severe bullet-wound to his hip. = 2LT Murphy said in the "Christmas letter" that he had received an appointment to WEST POINT & that he was eager to be a WPMA cadet & looked forward to being a Career Army Officer. - As his luck would have it, his wound never healed sufficiently to allow him to attend West Point & in early 1945 he was released from active Army service for "disability" BUT he never received a service-connected disability check, as far as I can find out.)

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 06/01/19. Reason: addenda

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
“Murphy went to elementary school while growing up around Farmersville, Greenville and Celeste finally dropping out of school in fifth grade. He got a cotton picking job to support his family”

https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/audie-murphy-3650.php

“Audie grew on farms in the area and attended school in Celeste. His education was cut short in 1936 when his father abandoned the family. Left with only a fifth-grade education, Murphy began working on local farms as a laborer to help support his family.”

https://www.thoughtco.com/first-lieutenant-audie-murphy-2360163

“Murphy left school in fifth grade to pick cotton and find other work to help support his family”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audie_Murphy

Last edited by chlinstructor; 06/01/19.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by satx78247

Btw, my mother taught Audie (8th Grade English) & all of his sisters (Vocational Home Economics) when she taught school in Elysian Fields. - (After Mother passed away at age 99YO in SEP 2016, we found a long letter from 2LT Murphy in Mother's Bible, that he wrote her just before Christmas 1944 & while he was hospitalized in an Army hospital with a severe bullet-wound to his hip. = 2LT Murphy said in the "Christmas letter" that he had received an appointment to WEST POINT & that he was eager to be a WPMA cadet & looked forward to being a Career Army Officer. - As his luck would have it, his wound never healed sufficiently to allow him to attend West Point & in early 1945 he was released from active Army service for "disability" BUT he never received a service-connected disability check, as far as I can find out.)

yours, tex

Posts like yours is why I'm thoroughly enjoying the campfire. Thanks, Tex.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by Quak
Originally Posted by Reloder28
He was a wife beater.

Nobody’s perfect and some wifes need beating

Mine says hit me if you want, You will have to sleep sometime.

Had a friend of mine who was at odds with his wife & on the verge of divorce. He awoke one night to the sound of her loading the gun. Never went back.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Okanagan
In the mid 1950's Hollywood actors started holding fast draw contests and Hugh O'Brian claimed to be the fastest. There is an apparently true story repeated that on a movie set with Audie Murphy, O'Brian pestered Murphy to see who was the fastest. Murphy showed no interest and finally said, “OK, with live ammunition.” O'Brian wisely backed down.

Who was the fastest gun in Hollywood?

Ron Bolza
Slatington, Pennsylvania

Some of the names might surprise you. How about Sammy Davis Jr. and Jerry Lewis?

The first fast draw competition took place at Knott’s Berry Farm in 1954.

Hugh O’Brian claimed his 0.25 of a second was the fastest, but Davis Jr. and Lewis were reportedly faster. O’Brian challenged Audie Murphy to a contest, but when Murphy requested live ammunition, O’Brian wisely declined.

Others who were good at fast draw during the 1950s and 1960s, says Firearms Editor Phil Spangenberger, included Wally “Mr. Peepers” Cox, Hugh Downs (a host of the early Today show), dancer Donald O’Connor, singers Marty Robbins and Frankie Lane, and actors Glenn Ford, Clu Gulager, Ernest Borgnine, Jock Mahoney and Clint Eastwood.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
always thought Glenn Ford was about the fastest movie gunslinger........

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Murphy himself said there was only one thing wrong in any of his movies.......
“I can’t act........”

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Morewood,

I was HONORED to have actually talked twice for a few minutes to MAJ Murphy by phone when I was assigned to HQ, 3/144th in MAR 1971. = LTC Cobb told me to call him & see if there was any possibility that he could appear at the Greenville or Terrill armories for a ceremony in his honor.

Shortly thereafter he was killed in the plane crash.

ADDENDA: Speaking of his affection for our TXARNG unit, MAJ Murphy gave his personal Model of 1917 US Army Rifle (the so-called American Enfield rifle of WWI) to one of our company's EM in Summer 1970.
(I believe that the SM who received the rifle was some sort of relative, but I'm NOT sure of that.)

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 06/01/19. Reason: add

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
The Fastest Gun Alive

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 257_X_50
Murphy himself said there was only one thing wrong in any of his movies.......
“I can’t act........”
Murphy would not pull his punches during fight scenes. He'd fight for real.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ethan Edwards,

I'd bet that TOM MIX was one of the fastest "draws", if not the FASTEST. =- Tom Mix was a REAL cowboy, as well as an actor & was said to be DEADLY quick/accurate with his .38-40 Colt's SA.

Once on a set of an early "talkie", Tom Mix shot the head off of a rattlesnake with real bullets, when that snake threatened to delay continuing the "film shoot".
(I'd bet the FACT that Tom Mix was carrying real ammo in his revolver "got everyone's attention".)

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Doing what needed doing at the time.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WTM45
Originally Posted by M1Garand
A true bad ass hero. 3rd ID, Rock of the Marne.

For all of us who have worn the 3rd ID patch, "Nous Resterons La!"

"I wouldn't give a bean
To be a fancy pants Marine
I'd rather be a dog faced soldier like I am.
I wouldn't trade my old ODs
For all the Navy's dungarees
I'm just a fighting son of Uncle Sam.

On all the posters that I read
It says: "The Army builds men"
So they're tearing me down
To build me over again.

I'm just a dog faced soldier
With a rifle on my shoulder
And I eat raw meat for breakfast every day.
So feed me ammunition,
Keep me in the 3rd Division,
Your dog face soldier boy's OK!"

+1!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
The Fastest Gun Alive

Absolutely true. Heard that he could come to full draw from his hip in .25 second.

-Ken

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

None of them could do this...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 61 invisible), 2,577 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,692
Posts18,456,591
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.