Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Think not model but rather serries?

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anyone who fails to understand the wisdom of a G& Howe sidemount with a Lyman Alaskan scope
has never hunted bear or moose in the fog along SE Alaska.
These mounts could save your life in limited visibility-with a fogged scope-whatever the make.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That can be said for whitetail hunters in Pennsylvania too. I'm a firm believer in that setup.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G&H always gets a Bubba pass in my book...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank god for a few Bubbas. If it weren't for a few Bubba's, us peons of the gun world would not be afforded the opportunity to hunt with nice model 71s. pre 64 70s. They would be all sitting in fancy showcases of the few well-heeled, smoking their fancy Castro cigars while drinking brandy. Anyone with a mutt model 54 can send them here. Gordon's house of Rescued Winchesters. I'll even pay the shipping. lol

Last edited by 348winchester; 06/01/19.

A bowhunter at heart but a gun guy at soul. I'll take craftsmanship, wood and blue steel over plastic and composite any day.
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
My pre'64 M/70 and my Springfield 1922 M2 both have G & H mounts, the M/70 has a Lyman All American with 2 minute LEE dot and the M2 a Lyman Alaskan with LEE dot.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Had the same thing happen to me. smile. Kind of..

I bought a Winchester custom shop 358 winchester that a guy had already shot..., they had Less than 15 of them according to the custom shop.
When it got to the gunshop the local gunsmith there saw it and asked me what I was going to do with it (it hardly had any wear so he thought it was mint)..

When I said - I’m going to hunt it ... He got pissed.

I hunted with it for a couple years, now it’s up in Alaska some place...

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by gunner500
OH CHIT! I will forever be grateful for men like my gunsmith, I was picking up some work he'd done in his shop one day, a guy came in with some sort of pre-64 FWT rifle with a ebony tip, may have been a super-grade FWT, the guy ask for a recoil pad to be installed, I didn't, and still don't know much about pre-64 model 70's but I damn near went weak kneed and fell in the floor when he said that.

My 'Smith, the fine man that he is, said, "Thanks for coming in today Sir, and I want to do business with you, but I wont do that to that rifle" that guy looked at him and then me like he was hit in the face with a hubcap fulla dogchit, God Bless Men like my 'Smith! smile

You have a good smith. Much like mine. They are a dying breed though.. its a shame

Damn right BSA, they're dying out, very sad, we've all seen guns butchered by cutting the stocks, drilling extra holes, chiseling on the wood and such, matter of fact, those damn griffin and howe dudes that drilled all those M-70 receivers for that god awful side mount need to be dug up and kicked in the nuts! mad

CowboyBart, lord have mercy, as the Warden said in the old 'Cool Hand Luke' movie, "some people you just cant reach." crazy bet that did pain you to have to do those jobs.

One thing y'all should consider is that at the time, the G&H side mount was highly regarded. At the time, correctly installing one was far from "butchering."
I agree on not making irreversible modifications to a pristine rifle. That said, I'm willing to shoot them.
What gets me is all the folks who won't consider for a build a receiver with a few holes in the side, but then proceed to Ceracoat. Plug the holes, build the rifle, refinish to your heart's content. Those plugged holes change the performance of the rifle not one bit. You will save a bunch of money and leave more un-drilled receivers alone for people who don't plan to refinish or perhaps only to minimally refinish.

Yes, akin to the time jimmy carters no lead gas came out, you couldn't give away a Chrysler Hemi muscle car, thankfully I wasn't born a blind as a bat sawed off circus hobbit, so, even in those days, NO cut stocks or drilled receivers would have even been done for me, I could/do manage with factory LOP's and no notch/cut receiver peep sights, have a pre-64 300 H&H set up that way, 300 yard steel is cake with 220gr partitions, those that endure the g&h's, enjoy. smile

Trump Won!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 160user, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 56 invisible), 2,594 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,362
Posts18,469,005
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.