Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
kid0917 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
for about the 12th time. "Hunting Alaska's Far Places"

I never got to meet Jim, but enjoyed his work for a long time.
RIP Jim!

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
His grandson is a close friend of friends and I have spent a bit of time around him. Really solid lad with a big, big interest in hunting and fishing.

I got to meet Jim in '71 at his house just outside Seattle. Right on the water, floatplane out front. He was editor Alaska Magazine at the time and had published my father's writing a number of times. My father was impressed.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
kid0917 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I love his chapter about a duck hunt at the head of Kachemak Bay, ducks were plunging in from thousands of feet up that day. He told a great story. I have several more of his books to get my hands on and read in the future!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
In 1980 (or 81?) a friend an I Went down to do a little fishing at Homer. Evan's dad had their boat moored next to Jim's and we quickly figured out Jim was "entertaining" some associates on his boat. After a couple of minutes making the "Virgo" ready, Jim greeted and invited us over for a beer. We had need to get back home early the next morning so declined his offer and headed out. Caught a couple decent butt's and one nice sized skate. Slept later than we wanted and was woke by some cussing next door. Hit the deck and found Jim trying to get his aft dock line untangled and failing miserably. Seems that the skate was still alive and had wrapped itself up with the stringer (gannion line) Evan had tied to a cleat and Jim's line. We offered our help and had it free in moments. Jim thanked us for our help. Never let on that we had cut the gannon and "freed Willy" from the entanglement...

Jim had a way with words and a very colorful vocabulary, yes he did😀

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
His grandson is a close friend of friends and I have spent a bit of time around him. Really solid lad with a big, big interest in hunting and fishing.

I got to meet Jim in '71 at his house just outside Seattle. Right on the water, floatplane out front. He was editor Alaska Magazine at the time and had published my father's writing a number of times. My father was impressed.

Remember reading some of your dad's stuff and really enjoyed his sheep stories! IIRC I did not realize at the time there was more than one fella with the same last name living in Las Anchorage😉

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The good old days...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I could be wrong, but think in the end one should just have a master pack of rearden offered. Every book he wrote at a package price.

I really did not want to read wolf man. Just didn't like the title for some reason. It was kind of shoved at me a while back, loaner... and I'm so glad I read it.

Art, what on your dads writings? Things I can buy too?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495

Art, what on your dads writings? Things I can buy too?

He wrote quite a bit for a bunch of magazines back in the '65-'98 time frame. I have all of his records and writings, a file cabinet packed, but it is difficult to get them all together. He wrote a number of pieces that were published in the Alaska Magazine Annual Collections.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have never read a Jim Rearden book I did not enjoy and I have read many. A gifted writer and he loved this place called Alaska.

I am sorry I never took the time to drive to Homer and meet him. He lived a real Alaskan life style.

Last edited by 1Akshooter; 06/17/19.
kid0917 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I got ahold of another of his books "Tales of Alaska's Big Bears", really enjoying it. He includes some "as told to me" stories and a few totally written by friends and cronies. He was a very unselfish writer, I believe.

IC B3

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by kid0917
for about the 12th time. "Hunting Alaska's Far Places"

I never got to meet Jim, but enjoyed his work for a long time.
RIP Jim!

don't think i've read that one...will have to find a copy

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
crud all available are around 20 bucks

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cheap at twi....

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
never hear of that, i've checked all the used books sellers, but sometimes a later search yields lower costs

kid0917 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I use B&N a lot, but usually scroll down to the "used" section, too. frequently can get for 2 to 5 $, but looks like that book with shipping is in fact crowding $20

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
yes i always look for that used link on B & N, has come in handy a few times. did have the same issue with "Tales of Alaska's Big Bears", finally found a copy around 10 bucks

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Art,

What’s TWI?

Dan

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
Art,

What’s TWI?

Dan

Actually I was just hinting at the cliche "twice the price."

Sorry for the confusion.

kid0917 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
been hangin' around youngsters too much... smile
How is the grandcritter??

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
A few days agoI finished reading for the second time (15 years or so between) Reardon's Wolves of Alaska". another good read.

The only thing out of date in it was that there was no record of healthy, unhabituated wolves in the wild attacking a person in Alaska. Now there is - a teacher out in Chignik was killed and partially eaten a couple years ago. ADF&G just confirmed it, tho we all knew it from lthe git-go.

Craig Medred article a few days ago in the Anchorage Daily News. Sorry- no linky.

Last edited by las; 07/08/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 68 invisible), 3,028 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,702
Posts18,456,801
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.