Print Thread
Hop To
V
verns Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
I bought this new in About 1971 and don't use it now .It is very high mileage (no safe queen) but is very accurate and reliable .I was to young and dumb to send it back for new wood when it was probably free. Any idea on what it would sell for ?

“To account nothing of one's self, and to think always kindly and highly of others, this is great and perfect wisdom.”
― Thomas à Kempis, The Imitation of Christ
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have a RH one that I got when I was 10 from my grandfather. I think they go for around $400 in good shape.
LH probably sell for more.

The Browning museum in Ogden has a LH t-bolt on display.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
It depends a lot on how much damage the salt has done to the metal. If the metal was flawless, which I have never seen, then $600 might be possible. But I have also seen severely corroded ones where $250 would be top dollar. If the metal is in moderate condition, they are solid prospects to be restocked.

V
verns Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
I will try to post a picture on here somewhere ! Thanks for your help.slight damage from the stock to the barrel.It shoots so well I am reluctant to sell it for the price it is probably worth still on the fence !

“To account nothing of one's self, and to think always kindly and highly of others, this is great and perfect wisdom.”
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
If you like the rifle, and it shoots well for you, I would keep it if you are concerned about taking a loss.

I purchased one 15 years ago before I knew about the salt wood problem. The one I purchased (GB?) was not advertised as salt wood. However, the underside had been severely corroded and pitted. The barreled action had been refinished and reblued, and put into a different stock. And it shot reasonably well. However, I never warmed up to it after I pulled it apart. Sent it down the road, clearly described as a refinished salt wood rifle, for a significant loss.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Is there a way to know if it has salt wood? I took mine apart and didn't see a spec of rust on it.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Whiptail

Is there a way to know if it has salt wood? I took mine apart and didn't see a spec of rust on it.

Yes, inspect the finish of the wood for bubbles. Also, where the stock and metal meet, look for rust spots. Along the receiver is a spot where I've seen lots of damage. Remove the receiver from the stock and look at receiver that is hidden by the stock.

Some will take the screws out of the butt plate to see if there is any rust on them.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
On the sample I owned, there was significant corrosion around the safety. IIRC, the safety rotated around the receiver or bolt body. That area was particularly rough.

My guess is that if you have had the rifle approaching 40 years, and, have not noticed any rust or corrosion below the stock line, you are probably in good condition...

V
verns Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
I am working on getting the pictures ! Thanks for the help.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
695 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 3,012 guests, and 1,417 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.