Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Took my newly acquired 35 Rem Marlin to the range today to see which factory load it liked best out to 100 yards.
Winchester 200’s
Rem 200’s
Hornady 200 FTX’s

The Winchester’s shot pretty good and the FTX’s slightly more consistent, the problem is my Remington ammo wouldn’t fully chamber. Every round that went into the chamber wouldn’t allow the lever to fully seat so I couldn’t pull the trigger.

Any others out there that this happened to?

Drink and be merry for soldiers die for your freedoms.

Semper Fidelis!
BP-B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
That's the first time I've heard of that. I only use Remington ammo. I've not seen Winchester 200's in my area.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
That's the first time I've heard of that. I only use Remington ammo. I've not seen Winchester 200's in my area.

I thought it was odd too, I just couldn’t get the rifle into battery. Guessing the OAL was too long.

Semper Fidelis!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i've shot the 200gr CL's for 40 years in pumps, levers and bolts and never saw that problem. i'd call remington

My diploma is a DD214
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I'd measure the cartridge OAL's first.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
How old is the gun ?

Call Remington .

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Can ya post some pictures of the box and ammo?

Last edited by Stump Buster; 06/03/19.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Stump Buster
Can ya post some pictures of the box and ammo?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've gotten Remington 35 Rem ammo that wouldn't fire, another had a primer in sideways, but they always at least chambered. Only problems I've ever had with factory ammo come from Remington 35's.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
The .35 Rem cartridge diagram in my reloading books show OAL of 2.525". I pulled one cartridge from three Remington factory boxes on hand and measured them. Since one showed longer, I pulled two more from that box.

Box 1: 2.514"
Box 2: 2.518", 2.521", 2.522"
Box 3: 2.507"

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
The .35 Rem cartridge diagram in my reloading books show OAL of 2.525". I pulled one cartridge from three Remington factory boxes on hand and measured them. Since one showed longer, I pulled two more from that box.

Box 1: 2.514"
Box 2: 2.518", 2.521", 2.522"
Box 3: 2.507"

My caliper’s battery is dead. I’ve only got crude items like rulers and tape measures handy at the moment.

I can take some pictures of the box, but I’ve never figured out how to post pics on this site through my phone

Semper Fidelis!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Well that blows grin.

Actually, OAL might not be as useful to know here as the distance to the shoulder since that's what it head-spaces off of. Did the cartridges you unsuccessfully tried to chamber show any engraving from the lands on the bullets or abrasions anywhere else on the cases or bullets?

A quick check might just be stand some of the Remington ammo beside the Winchester and Hornady Ammo on a flat surface and see if the shoulder of the Remington cases are noticeably higher. And if you saved any of the fired cases from the Winchester and Hornady, compare to those as well since those have been fire-formed to your chamber dimensions minus a little spring back.

Not precise, but since you're handicapped for measurements, it might at least be a quick screen if there is a significant difference. Also, don't know how precise your rulers are, but you can use your calipers the old fashioned way to set the gap, then take a measurement of the gap with your ruler. You can also use that gap as a comparison to another cartridge to see if higher/shorter. If the difference is enough, you will see it. Or go buy a damn battery grin

As for pics can you connect your phone to a laptop via usb port or wireless to transfer the pics on the pc, then post them from the pc? If you can, posting pics of them standing beside the other cartridges would be good.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
For Reference, here is SAAMI's 35 Remington Cartridge and Chamber Diagrams. Took them from some screen shots of the pdf file from their website:

Cartridge Diagram
[Linked Image]

Chamber Diagram
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was all prepared to read that the Hornady gummy tips were jamming. That is sometimes a problem on older models with flat magazine followers. But Remington factory ammo not fully chambering? That is odd. The ammo has to be out of specs.

This experience certainly speaks to the wisdom of cycling the ammo you plan to hunt with before taking to the field. Will be interested in learning what you discover.

T.S.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by TexasShooter
I was all prepared to read that the Hornady gummy tips were jamming. That is sometimes a problem on older models with flat magazine followers. But Remington factory ammo not fully chambering? That is odd. The ammo has to be out of specs.

This experience certainly speaks to the wisdom of cycling the ammo you plan to hunt with before taking to the field. Will be interested in learning what you discover.

T.S.

That's a fact. I'd bet that less than 10% of the the hunters do that. Embarrassingly, I have to admit, I don't do it either. But I may start.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Ok, so I looked at the Rem ammo versus the others, then pulled my second box of new Rem ammo.

I then took the two Rem boxes and pulled out 3 rounds from each keeping them separated so I know which was which.

Loaded the rounds I had issues with Saturday, cycled them and tried to see if my lever would seat all the way so the trigger could engage. Couldn’t make it happen.

Loaded the 3 rounds from the new unopened box and did the same thing. Two of the three were very close to seating fully and almost allowing the trigger to engage.

I took one from each box and the one thing I barely noticed was a slightly more pronounced shoulder on the initial box of ammo.

Last edited by addicted; 06/05/19.

Semper Fidelis!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Contact Remington and get some replacement ammo sent.

I'm dying to know what the deal is, but without pics or calipers, we're just guessing here. Remington will likely take care of you.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Welp, it’s this Remington batch of ammunition that’s messed up.
Yesterday I reluctantly purchased two more boxes of Remington 35 Rem, but from somewhere else.

Got home and checked batch codes were different.

Loaded up 3 and cycled all 3 perfectly.

The bad batch code is C06JBI, check your boxes.

I’ll still contact Remington, but thanks all.

Semper Fidelis!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Don't be surprised if you see this problem again. I believe you are talking about it not closing the last little "umph" when the lever contacts the little "safety" (not sure of the tech name) protruding from the bottom tang that will let the trigger operate. I have experienced it with my .35 with both Rem & Hornady factory loads and handloads that were definitely in spec. I have always been able to get it to go but sometimes it does require a little more force. I have taken mine apart, cleaned and looked for the problem a few times over the years but have not found it yet. I have also read of several other people experiencing the same problem. It has always been the .35 Rem when I have read about it.

I have measured the rounds that have hung up and they have been in spec. I also saved enough of them to run through the mag a second time, even the same rounds do not always duplicate the problem. One of these days I may send it to a smith for them to look at.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by dave284
Don't be surprised if you see this problem again. I believe you are talking about it not closing the last little "umph" when the lever contacts the little "safety" (not sure of the tech name) protruding from the bottom tang that will let the trigger operate. I have experienced it with my .35 with both Rem & Hornady factory loads and handloads that were definitely in spec. I have always been able to get it to go but sometimes it does require a little more force. I have taken mine apart, cleaned and looked for the problem a few times over the years but have not found it yet. I have also read of several other people experiencing the same problem. It has always been the .35 Rem when I have read about it.

I have measured the rounds that have hung up and they have been in spec. I also saved enough of them to run through the mag a second time, even the same rounds do not always duplicate the problem. One of these days I may send it to a smith for them to look at.

I was a little shy to crank down on the lever to “seat” them. More so I was nervous I would hurt the firearm.
Glad I’m not the only one that experienced this.

Semper Fidelis!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
711 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 74 invisible), 3,070 guests, and 1,412 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,604
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.