D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by aheider
I think I would rather Doug try to influence SWFA with their SS ultralight line than continue to beat this dead horse....

I don't understand how Doug would have any influence on SWFA. Care to explain?

I bet he has more influence with SWFA.... than he does Leupold.

We all know Leupold doesn’t care about these issues.... if they did, they’d have fixed them by now.

Doug’s effort here is noble.... but it’s also a fool’s errand. Like I said pages ago.... Leupold has known their erectors were crap for better than a decade.

Yup...Time spent convincing SWFA a zero stop on a few SS would be a nice place to start. Adding washers to a 4-15 and 5-20 IIRC voids the warranty. 😎

I know Doug doesn’t carry SWFA.

Sorry..... shoulda used the facetious font.....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bearded

Y’all aren’t gonna stop until I try one of these. What’s the glass comparable to?

It’s about VX2 level glass. More than adequate for all my hunting needs.

Swfa glass aint the best, but it sure is good enough...Being a variable lover- the SS 4-15 is a nice scope, even with door knobs for turrets.😎

The brightness, colour rendition, and contrast are $300 worth, but the resolution, in variable atmospherics, is $1500 worth.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The price tag on piece of schit optics reflects the killer warrantee! Personally I'd much rather see the same price tag and no warrantee with the warrantee money put toward quality. Why everybody prefers a piece of schit with a warrantee is beyond me.

I buy SWFA because I don't plan on useing the warrantee. I'd much rather pack the extra weight.

Most hunters are happy with a 1/2 moa gun that shoots 2" groups at 100 yds because the internals are "sloppy"! Doesn't mean the scope has actually failed it just means its schit and sloppy

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Bearded

Y’all aren’t gonna stop until I try one of these. What’s the glass comparable to?

It’s about VX2 level glass. More than adequate for all my hunting needs.

Swfa glass aint the best, but it sure is good enough...Being a variable lover- the SS 4-15 is a nice scope, even with door knobs for turrets.😎

Those knobs on the fixed powers look like schit. I bet they are handy though when dialing .

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I

WAIT A MINUTE! This thread is now turning into a review of this site's SACRED COW! Sure SWFA has door knobs for turrets and has inferior-mediocre glass, but, what does that matter? I can crank up and down all day like an un-medicated ADHD teenager and it tracks!
Seriously, if we are going to bash Leupold, we can also bash other scopes. I own probably more scopes than the average person on this thread and, I don't own one. The mediocre optics and "door knob" turrets (I like that characterization) keep me away from their value priced scopes. And, if I am going to look at their top of the line scopes and shell out a grand or so, it would not be for an SWFA!

Blaze Away!

IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
All kinda a mute thread.
Plenty of subject matter experts and industry types have told leupold and shown leupold the shortcomings of their scopes.
Whether they be set and forget models or dailing models.
Leupold knows their products fail.

Never the less it goes uncorrected with a Wdgaf attitude after presented with it all by knowledgeable people.

Fugg leupold and their products
Cause they are basically saying themselves fugg the customer and what they want to become a customer again.

Adding 2 or 3 ounces to a scopes weight to beef up its internal components or materials, ain't gonna smoke anyone carrying a rifle.
Bottomline is better components and materials cutt into per unit profit margin.
Anyone that thinks leupold ain't doing this cheaper component and material useage is smoking crack with Tyrone biggums.

If saving 2 or 3 ounces is a huge deal to someone weight wise, then ya probably need a reality check.
Leupold stream lined the 1 and 2 line to come out with the freedom line. Used some from this and some from that.
To come up with their model T axle looking scope

All this schit is lean sigma six cost cutting and streamlining schit.

And the result is a shoddy product that makes a huge profit margin per unit.

In other words leupold Dgaf about what you think about their product.
But they gaf about making less for more.
Their reputation from products in the past that they beleive most people still think about them.
Is what they are banking on carrying em

Look at all the service,s they used to offer up until about 12 to 15 yrs ago that dont exist anymore or you pay out the nose for now.

Leupold,s lean sigma six business model sucks.....

And this is what happens to legendary companies when bean counters get involved with inheritance baby family members who dgaf actually about company products but want more company money.

Asking to help leupold improve their products with constructive input. People and professionals been trying to do it for years to no avail......

LMFAO!!!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IceCut

WAIT A MINUTE! This thread is now turning into a review of this site's SACRED COW! Sure SWFA has door knobs for turrets and has inferior-mediocre glass, but, what does that matter? I can crank up and down all day like an un-medicated ADHD teenager and it tracks!
Seriously, if we are going to bash Leupold, we can also bash other scopes. I own probably more scopes than the average person on this thread and, I don't own one. The mediocre optics and "door knob" turrets (I like that characterization) keep me away from their value priced scopes. And, if I am going to look at their top of the line scopes and shell out a grand or so, it would not be for an SWFA!

Blaze Away!

I would and did, a couple times....

I really like the 5-20x50 hd. I have a heap of glass, too - many over $1k price tag. Aside from my one NF, I know every single scope other than my SWFA or NF may schit itself on any given day at the range or a hunt.

I don’t even think about a failure with swfa or NF....For me, to finally have peace of mind on my aiming device was a huge difference when dialing up deep yards on a critter...😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any Tract scopes? I bought a Toric recently and highly considered SWFA, but the rumored glass quality and huge non-locking turrets drove me away. Haven’t mounted it yet but the adjustments feel more solid than anything I’ve had this far. I could’ve had 2 SWFA for the same price.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Paul39
Then there was the Vari-X II 2x7 with the wandering zero that caused misses on an out-of-state muley hunt. On a .30-06. This scope was never dropped, if anything I baby my gear.

Even a classic M8 4x will lose zero after 2-day cross country trip on the Interstate. 1200 miles of gentle vibration in a Pelican case over the Interstate. No accidents. No drops.

I'm not going to get rid of it but I won't ever take a Leupold on a long trip again.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W

Blaze Away!

What exactly comes close to the SS 5-20HD for $1000? Are you also one who hates Tikka because people recognize the quality and value there therefore they are popular?

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Blaze Away!

I would and did, a couple times....

I really like the 5-20x50 hd. I have a heap of glass, too - many over $1k price tag. Aside from my one NF, I know every single scope other than my SWFA or NF may schit itself on any given day at the range or a hunt.

I don’t even think about a failure with swfa or NF....For me, finally have peace of mind on my aiming device was a huge difference when dialing up deep yards on a critter...😎

That's how I feel too. Those of us that do know this, shoot a lot and at different yardages. Just like when you are hunting, your shots are not always given to you on a silver platter. You may have to take a long shot every once in a while. Why not be prepared to take that shot and know you are going to hit what you are aiming at? You know this because you practice near and far and you know what your equipment can do. We also know Leupold just doesn't cut it when it comes to tracking because we have also used those near and far and when dialing up or down or left and right, when you turn the turrets back to zero, I'll be damned if your rifle is shooting way off in left field. That chit doesn't happen with SWFA or NightForce. No matter what SWFA you buy, the damn thing is going to track like a blood hound and be as loyal to you when the time comes to make the shot. Just last weekend the fixed power SWFA SS rifle scopes were $250.00 on sale for memorial day. The HD's were on sale as well and for those of you that haven't tried one, maybe you should. Gone will be the days of fiddling with your turrets back and forth to get zeroed in, then find out next time you are at the range you are not zeroed anymore. I'm sorry, but I don't know the guys that are claiming zero failures with Leupold, but I can almost guarantee they don't shoot like the majority of us do that have had issues/failures... No comment on Tract, except maybe the person asking about them should dig up the test Formidulus did on one.... RTZ wasn't great, but I won't spoil the ending for you. Look up the thread yourself... grin I'm going to go and butter up some popcorn...
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I

What does my dislike for the Matel Toy quality stocks Tikka uses have to do with SWFA? By the way, Bergara has MUCH BETTER stocks than Tikka....
Back to the topic, nothing comes close to the mediocre SWFA glass, virtually everything at that price point is optically BETTER!

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I

Hmmmm.....SWFA/NF feels a bit threatened by Toric. NF makes a good scope BUT is not a great value. Their 30-40% markup is a turn off. They are optically superior to SWFA, no question but are definitely not the best optics.
SWFA is a value scope. One gets a lot for the buck but, the optics are souped-up vintage Tasco.
Both SWFA/NF should be scared of Tract. Their new scopes are just a better value!

My popcorn is popping....got to go....

Formidilus (sic) is to Nightforce what Keith was to the 44 mag.....(sometimes knowledgeable people are blinded by their own biases)

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I thought this was a Leupold thread but as usual it's turned into a SWFA/NF thread. powdr

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
powdr,

Sorry to digress, I get a kick out of these OUTSIDE guys lecturing about hunting/shooting.
Regarding Leupold. Most bear guides I have known use low power older Leupold variables. Some have fixed power older Leupolds. Most start with .375 Winchester/Ruger and move on up from there in terms of foot pounds of recoil. Seldom does anyone gripe about internals and zero-hold issues. And, these guys risk their lives every time they go in the woods. Of course, they do not shoot their .375s thousands of times and don't dial their scopes. Most shots are up close and personal. But, there is no fogging of lenses etc.
Most of the scopes are older Vari X low power variables.

They get a kick out of dealing with their rich clients with their Kahles, Leicas, Swaros and S&B. Virtually, no one shows up with a SWFA or NF.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by powdr
I thought this was a Leupold thread but as usual it's turned into a SWFA/NF thread. powdr

Powdr,
It feels more like a stroll down memory lane taking a right turn straight up the steps of a Horror House where all the scope demons live.

You may know them by names, like “FRTZ” an evil and frustrating devil that won’t bring your reticle back to zero.

Or, maybe you’ve heard of the “Turret Knock Goblin” - He’s a ghost like apparition that makes a shooter think he has to knock twice on his elevation turret after making adjustments to lock it in...

The Knock Goblin is extremely OCD and once he get’s in your head, it’s hard to get people to stop doing it even after they purchase a reputable optic...

And, then there’s the worst azzhole Satanic demon of them all. “The Wizard of Windage”...He’s the master of trickery by producing an audible sound of a click to make a shooter believe he’s just dialed in 1 Mil or 1 MOA of windage (L) or (R) when in reality you dialed in 3 Mils or 3 MOA of correction putting your shot off target by 2 Mils or 2 MOA. The Wizard of Windage is a douche bag.

Then when the shooter tries to get back to his original zero...”FRTZ” shows his ghastly face and says “Not gonna happen bitch”

Popcorn 🍿 anyone?
😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What's SWFA got to do with a Leupold?

If a little guy from Texas can get good functioning chit made, Leupold ought to be able to do it, and do it cheaper too, no?

Tomorrow is another week, surely they'll get the hint. LOL

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
TBS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As long as their scopes are assembled by Americans in an American factory they are going to cost more, much more than a comparable optic sourced from the pacific rim with no dealer mark up. Don't think they can do it for what SWFA does it for, because they cannot.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W

What does my dislike for the Matel Toy quality stocks Tikka uses have to do with SWFA? By the way, Bergara has MUCH BETTER stocks than Tikka....
Back to the topic, nothing comes close to the mediocre SWFA glass, virtually everything at that price point is optically BETTER!

Oh it was just a guess, a pretty good one obviously. Cleared some things up for me on your position.

Anyone who thinks the the NXS has better glass than the 5-20HD has never sat behind them side by side.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by powdr
Doug, this may sound trivial to you but if you go back to when Leupold raised the price of changing a reticle from $60 to $200...it played bloody hell w/their reputation. That's one of the only things that Leupold had left going for them and they screwed it up too. Many guys around that time had a scope on the shelf or had just got a good deal on one because they new they could change the reticle from one they didn't like. Well it didn't take long for them to make another pile of enemies...again. Just like that darn wide duplex reticle. They need to fire the sob that thought that one up. powdr

Curious, how long had Leupold held that $60 price. I am guessing many years but do not know.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 11 of 31 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 30 31

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 63 invisible), 2,792 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,367
Posts18,469,093
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.