Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Question for those a lot more knowledgeable than I am... What Winchesters have a front sight dovetail that is .470?
Asking because I have a vintage Lyman No 5 folding sight for Winchesters with that size mount. It folds as it should, the ivory bead is intact and the screws are not frozen. The writing on the hood says "LYMAN REG US PAT OFF".

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If it has whipped cream and chocolate drizzles on it, it’s dessert. Grow up and get a coffee damnit
BP-B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Per Nick Stroebels ‘Old Gunsights’ book,”all Winchester dovetail mount front sights use a 0.375 (3/8) inch female dovetail.”

Is that an ‘I’ marked on the underside of the sight base?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Memory says some stevens rifles had wider dovtails, they are not easy to find

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Poconojack

If there is an "I", I can't find it under magnification... I wonder if what I have is for a Marlin or Remington?

What started this whole ordeal is my 2nd G-Grandfather's rifle. It is an 1894 with the 26" half-octagon / half-round barrel in 38-55, made in 1901. The rifle letters as having the Lyman sights. Sometime in the past, the folding sight and rear peep were removed. The front was replaced with a Sheard's Gold Hunting/Target sight and the peep removed. I have the correct Lyman folding sight replaced on the front and the one I have now is left over from that effort. I have an excellent condition "D" marked Lyman No 1A for the peep but that is not correct for the rifle. Unfortunately, the 1A is from 1905...

So... long story short, my search continues for a Lyman No 1 "D" marked peep and I am going to sell the 1A, the No 5 folding and the Shear's.
Before I sell the folding sight though, I want to get the right information...

If it has whipped cream and chocolate drizzles on it, it’s dessert. Grow up and get a coffee damnit
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by ctw
Memory says some stevens rifles had wider dovtails, they are not easy to find

Per Stroebel, “some Stevens firearms used a 0.4375 (7/16) inch wide front-sight dovetail.”

Hunter S. Thompson
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by htredneck

If there is an "I", I can't find it under magnification... I wonder if what I have is for a Marlin or Remington?

What started this whole ordeal is my 2nd G-Grandfather's rifle. It is an 1894 with the 26" half-octagon / half-round barrel in 38-55, made in 1901. The rifle letters as having the Lyman sights. Sometime in the past, the folding sight and rear peep were removed. The front was replaced with a Sheard's Gold Hunting/Target sight and the peep removed. I have the correct Lyman folding sight replaced on the front and the one I have now is left over from that effort. I have an excellent condition "D" marked Lyman No 1A for the peep but that is not correct for the rifle. Unfortunately, the 1A is from 1905...

So... long story short, my search continues for a Lyman No 1 "D" marked peep and I am going to sell the 1A, the No 5 folding and the Shear's.
Before I sell the folding sight though, I want to get the right information...

Guess I was seeing things, looked like there was an I stamped about 1/3 of the way up and a little to the right in your last pic. That would indicate a Stevens Ideal application.

May want to post this in the Savage Collectors Forum.

Hunter S. Thompson
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Definitely a sight intended for a Stevens single shot.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Originally Posted by htredneck

If there is an "I", I can't find it under magnification...

Guess I was seeing things, looked like there was an I stamped about 1/3 of the way up and a little to the right in your last pic. That would indicate a Stevens Ideal application.

May want to post this in the Savage Collectors Forum.

On the contrary, I think you have a damn sharp eye! I'd have to have it in my hands to tell, but I see exactly what you are talking about.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 06/03/19.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Using a magnifier and light, the markings on the right side in the picture are just scratches and flaws in the finish.
On the left side, right about the middle, the dark spot is what appears to be a punch mark

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Out of curiosity, I sent it to Lee Shaver for his opinion... he didn't even hesitate to say it was Remington or Stevens/Savage and most likely Remington

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
88 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, batch, 257robertsimp, 14 invisible), 1,624 guests, and 747 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,758
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.