24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Maybe this is out of place as this seems to be a meat heavy forum but I didn’t see anywhere else that it fit.
Any of you guys pick pick mushrooms or other wild stuff?
I spend the summer picking mushrooms in and around the area we deer hunt and run trail cameras at the same time. I don’t know a ton of mushrooms but I know enough to keep my family supplied and keep me in the woods from spring to late fall.
If I told my wife I was scouting deer she wouldn’t put up with it but it’s just fine if I go and bring home a basket of mushrooms every time!

NRA Endowment Life Member
GB2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I pick morels in the spring around the house. Picked 56 in the yard this year

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
there's a fungus amongus(sic)

not sure of the correct spelling of amongus

Last edited by sse; 06/07/19.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
morel season is just finishing up in these parts

I started following a morel FB page. Two things struck me, there are dozens of edible shroom species in the woods, and the hunters run into a lot of snakes

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It’s winding down here too, but we don’t have much for snakes. At least not of the venomous variety. Chanterelles are my personal favorite and I can pick them all summer long.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We pick chanterelles here, but it's to early yet, need more heat & moisture.

Just finished picking fiddlehead ferns.

Rhubarb is almost ready.

Blueberries & raspberries August onwards.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have at it on your own land, but stay off mine. I've caught folks in the act of "shroomin" on my hunting property.
Had they asked, I might have said yes, but those who trespass and take what they want, will never be welcomed.
I will prosecute anyone who fails to respect my clearly posted property lines.

Had a young lady on horseback jump my gate and make free with my road, while I was hunting deer from a tree stand not 20 yards away. I asked her just WTF she thought she was doing, and she answered "oh, I didn't know you were here" (like that makes any difference at all?)
Took her picture, and told her "the signs say stay out. Not stay out when I'm here! Now get out!"
I have a small car on my hunting property that is now scrap metal, due to trespassers and thieves. I have no love for those who feel they should have free access to wander other people's lands.

I hope those of you who hunt mushrooms are more respectful of other people's Rights than I have seen, personally.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
All mine is done on Crown (public) land.

But, sometimes, people think they own that too !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
All mine is done on Crown (public) land.

But, sometimes, people think they own that too !

Glad to hear it. The family of three I caught on my land, I allowed to continue, with the understanding that they would report to me, any other people they saw on my land. (Trying to stop the thefts).
I've also considered seeding the property with Ginsing seeds. There are a couple of spots that it should grow well, but I have no interest in just planting more stuff to steal.
(Its legal to own the seeds for a short time, and I can buy them locally) then when I find a spot where they flourish, double down and over seed that area. (Yes, I know it's a long term goal, but so were the oak trees I planted.)

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I like running across them in the woods, but have never had a lot of luck just hunting them out.

Wife is Ukrainian and they're mushroom-picking fools. They get some huge varieties, too, mostly in the fall. Google for pics. I'm planning a fall trip there to do a wild boar hunt and pick mushrooms.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Chanterelles are just coming along now here, lots of little buttons everywhere. Hopefully in another week or so.
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
718 members (257Bob, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 77 invisible), 2,974 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,467
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.