Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Not much to add...

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/N...n-Metlatkatla-Cascade-Bay-510681871.html

Preliminary report reveal details about pilot's experience, landing conditions in two deadly crashes

The NTSB is releasing preliminary reports detailing the crashes in Cascade Bay (left) and Metlakatla (right)
By Hank Davis | Posted: Fri 2:40 PM, May 31, 2019

ANCHORAGE (KTUU) - On Friday, the National Transportation Safety Board released preliminary information regarding two incidents from the recent string of plane crashes in Alaska.

The first report details the May 20 crash in Metlakatla that claimed two lives:
The pilot, flying for Taquan Air, was a new seasonal pilot hired for this season. When he began with the company on April 22, he had just five hours' flying time in float planes, and 1,606 flight hours total. Though as part of his orientation he was completed federal requirements on float planes earlier in May.

According to the NTSB findings, three witnesses observed the de Havilland DHC-2 Beaver airplane making a normal approach to the water near Metlakatla Harbor. The witness statements describe the moment the plane touched down on the surface of the water. Witnesses at the scene described the water as "less than choppy."

"The wings rocked to the left, and then to the right. One of the witnesses observed the right wing strike the surface of the water, and the airplane nosed over rapidly. After the airplane nosed over, the cockpit and cabin partially sank," the report said.

Two boats in the area immediately responded to the crash, followed by a Metlakatla Police vessel staffed with volunteer emergency medical technicians.

A fishing vessel hoisted the airplane out of the water slightly, and Good Samaritans and emergency responders removed the seats, mail, packages and cargo netting. After the plane's passengers were removed from the cockpit, they were taken to the Annette Island Health Center where they were declared deceased.

The second report pertains to the Cascade Bay incident that killed one and injured two more.
The crash involved a float-equipped Cessna A185F during a personal flight. No flight plans had been filed beforehand.

According to the report, the pilot said he planned to fly with the two passengers for a sightseeing trip in the Prince William Sound area, before landing on the water in Cascade Bay.

Photographs taken a few hours after the accident revealed that the airplane had come to rest, inverted with a submerged fuselage. The four wheels of the landing gear appeared to be in the extended, runway landing position.

In the report, the pilot told investigators he performed his before-landing checks. One of those tasks is to confirm the landing gear position. While the pilot could recall performing the check, he did not have a specific recollection of the landing gear status. It was also noted that the water was rough, so he planned to land the airplane slightly faster than normal.

During the landing, the pilot experienced a jolt before the plane nosed over, filling with water and submerging. He was able to pull the passenger in the rear seat free, but the passenger in the front right seat already appeared to be unconscious.

The NTSB has provided no further timeline on additional information to be released to the public.

Get the latest updates from ktuu.com delivered to your browser

SUBSCRIBE TO PUSH NOTIFICATIONS

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Some analysis in the comments in the MRAK story.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks, I had missed that in their new format.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
https://mustreadalaska.com/metlakatlaka-crash-pilot-had-five-hours-experience-on-floats/

Metlakatlaka crash: Pilot had five hours experience on floats when hired

The National Safety and Transportation Board preliminary investigation into the May 20 deadly crash of a floatplane in Metlakatla shows that the pilot had little experience with floats — just five hours when hired.

The two fatalities were the pilot and the passenger.

Taquan Air, which operated the plane, also had a plane involved in a midair collision near Ketchikan on May 14. Six people died in that accident, and 10 were injured. In that instance, both of the planes were flying over George Inlet, eight nautical miles from Ketchikan, when they tangled in midair.

[Watch the NTSB briefing on the May 14 midair collision here]

Here’s the NTSB preliminary report in full for the May 20 crash in Metlakatla:

On May 20, 2019, about 1556 Alaska daylight time, a float-equipped de Havilland DHC-2 (Beaver) airplane, N67667, overturned and partially sank during a landing in Metlakatla Harbor, Metlakatla, Alaska. The commercial pilot and passenger sustained fatal injuries, and the airplane sustained substantial damage. The airplane was registered to Blue Aircraft, LLC and operated by Venture Travel, LLC, dba Taquan Air, Ketchikan, Alaska, under the provisions of Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 135 as a scheduled commuter flight. Company flight following procedures were in effect and visual meteorological conditions prevailed. The flight originated from the Ketchikan Harbor Seaplane Base (5KE), Ketchikan, about 1540 as Flight 20, and was destined for the Metlakatla Seaplane Base (MTM) in Metlakatla.

According to company dispatch documents, Flight 20 was a scheduled flight with one passenger, U.S. mail, freight and packages destined for Metlakatla, which is a community on Annette Island about 16 miles southeast of Ketchikan.

A preliminary review of archived Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) air traffic control track data revealed that after departure from Ketchikan, the flight traveled southeast over an area known as the Tongass Narrows, then south to Metlakatla Harbor. The end of the flight track indicated a right turn to a westward track in the southern portion of the harbor.

Three eyewitnesses provided statements to the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) investigator-in-charge (IIC). All three witnesses reported that the airplane made a normal approach to the water, in a westerly direction.

Two of the witnesses awaiting the arrival of Flight 20, stated that before touchdown on the surface of the water, the wings rocked to the left, and then to the right. One of the witnesses observed the right wing strike the surface of the water, and the airplane nosed over rapidly. After the airplane nosed over, the cockpit and cabin partially sank. The third witness, who was in a fishing vessel north of the accident site, said that as he watched the airplane land, he observed the right float “dig into the water” and then the airplane nosed over.

One of the witnesses photographed the approach, initial touch down, and post-accident events. Refer to figures 1 and 2.

Two boats in the area immediately responded, followed by a Metlakatla Police vessel with volunteer emergency medical technicians (EMTs) onboard. According to statements provided by the first responders, the airplane’s empennage was hoisted slightly out of the water by the fishing vessel, and good Samaritans together with the EMTs removed airplane seats, mail, packages and cargo netting. The occupants were removed from the airplane and transported to the Annette Island Health Center where they were declared deceased.

On May 21, during the NTSB IIC’s on scene examination of the wreckage, it was revealed that the right wing and right lift strut separated from the fuselage in a rearward direction. Witnesses stated that the right wing and strut sank, as well as the passenger’s seat after removal, and those components remain missing. All other major aircraft components were intact and accounted for. Several avionics components were subsequently recovered from the wreckage and sent to the NTSB Vehicle Recorders Laboratory in Washington, D.C. for further examination.

According to Taquan Air management personnel, the accident pilot was a new seasonal pilot hired for the 2019 season, and he held a commercial pilot certificate with airplane single-engine land, single-engine sea, and instrument airplane ratings. According to the operator, when the pilot started company orientation on April 22, he had a total of 1,606 flight hours, of which 5 hours were in float-equipped airplanes. He completed the company CFR Part 135.293 and 135.299 check rides in a float-equipped DHC-2 on May 3, and he completed CFR Part 135.244 initial operation experience requirements on May 11, 2019.

The closest weather reporting facility is located at the Annette Island Airport (PANT), about 6 miles south of the accident site. At 1553 an aviation routine weather report (METAR) reported wind from 160° at 10 knots, visibility 10 statute miles, ceiling and cloud cover clear, temperature 55° F, dew point 48° F, and altimeter 29.71 inches of mercury. Witnesses near the accident site stated that the wind conditions were from the southeast, from the direction of Purple Mountain, at 13 to 15 mph, and that the water conditions were less than choppy.

Donations Welcome
Suzanne Downing
WRITTEN BY SUZANNE DOWNING
Suzanne Downing had careers in business and journalism before serving as the Director of Faith and Community-based Initiatives for Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and returning to Alaska to serve as speechwriter for Gov. Sean Parnell. Born on the Oregon coast, she moved to Alaska in 1969.

Breaking: Dunleavy Administration makes slashing victim whole on his PFD
Wanted man in homicide case arrested near Chester Creek Park
Latest Comments

PHIL DUNCAN / JUNE 1, 2019
Only 5 hours on floats?
He need at least 5 hours to get his float plane rating. Then he needed additional flight training for the air taxi service.

DB COOPER / JUNE 1, 2019
He had 5 hours when he was first hired.

How many hours piloting a float plane did the pilot have when he crashed?

BEN COLDER / JUNE 1, 2019
Typically, 80%+ of small aircraft, especially float plane, accidents are due to “pilot error”, not mechanical malfunction. When the “season” begins, most experienced, qualified Alaskan pilots are already working. This leaves little option for the air-taxi owners, except hiring inexperienced pilots, possessing only a piece of paper (FAA certification), not experience, certifying their ability to be a competent pilot in Alaska. Alaska has some of the most difficult terrain for flying, in the country. Special training should be required to deal with this. Also, notice in the first picture of the “Beaver” landing, that the right float is mounted with an apparent lower angle on the front of the float, compared to the left float. The wings appear level but the floats do not. Maybe a photographic difference, only, but it doesn’t look like it. An experienced pilot would note this difference and make adjustments to his landing procedure. I’m not saying that’s the reason, only that it may have contributed to the accident.
I offer my condolences to the pilot and passenger’s families.

ROBERT BRIDGES / JUNE 1, 2019
Ben… looks like left pontoon on water with right rudder. what’s your take?

BEN COLDER / JUNE 3, 2019
Robert,
It looks that way, all right. Probably compensating for the crosswind coming from the right. Also, notice the spray from the back of the floats. Appears to be blowing from the right side of the airplane to the left. Whatever the case, I don’t claim to be an expert, by any means. Just commenting from experience. No excuse to make a crosswind landing on floats, unless you’re on a river, limited landing area or an inexperienced pilot. If you notice the rudder angle on the tail, it also is slightly canted towards turning right.

BEN COLDER / JUNE 3, 2019
Also, usually, unless inexperienced, the water rudders aren’t lowered until the aircraft is firmly on the water.

ROBERT BRIDGES / JUNE 1, 2019
Wonder if floated off in and then out of ground effect, stalled and dipped the wing? Much conjecture, but results were final.

BEN COLDER / JUNE 1, 2019
Robert,
You may very well be correct. However, “Beavers” and ” Single engine Otters” are known to have a little trouble in crosswind landings. The wing designs are terrific for “lift” into a direct headwind, but have some trouble in crosswind applications, especially landing. Experienced pilots are aware of this. If you notice, in the picture I mentioned, there appears, from the direction of the wavelets, to be a crosswind coming from the right side of the aircraft. Typically, the upwind wing loses a portion of it’s lift in any crosswind, on this aircraft. That, together with, even slightly misaligned float mounting, is a recipe for accidents.

ROBERT BRIDGES / JUNE 2, 2019
so…potential over correction of left wing dipping and PIO?

JOHN WEST / JUNE 1, 2019
Why is Taquan Air still allowed to fly? Two incidents in less than a month? Prior incidents in previous years. They’re doing nothing to foster confidence in themselves or others in them.

CAM / JUNE 1, 2019
Remember people don’t like regulations; and the cost is heavy in accidents, environment and all other areas that are suppose to protect the commons when regulations are relaxed

CHRISTER LEINEHED / JUNE 1, 2019
How can a pilot with a license to learn with 5 hrs experience on floats be allowed to conduct flying like this one. Obviously company rules are to be reviewed and company should be grounded until further.

ECG / JUNE 1, 2019
The NTSB report says: “According to the operator, when the pilot started company orientation on April 22, he had a total of 1,606 flight hours, of which 5 hours were in float-equipped airplanes.“ This means he had five hours of float time in April, not when he flew his last flight, as this headline states.

Pilots leave float school with five hours of float time. This was obviously his first job as a floats guy, but that doesn’t mean the company cut him loose without additional floats training. Every company puts their pilots through additional training, a checkride, initial operator experience. Not saying Taquan doesn’t have issues or that this guy may not have been cut loose too soon, but this headline is misleading and will cause many people to assume it is correct, doing perhaps greater damage to the reputation of the company and pilot than is deserved. The worst thing most pilots can think of is being responsible for the death of a passenger. This misleading headline really irks me because it is inflammatory and perhaps does not do justice. Suzanne can do better than this.

RANDY S. GRIFFIN FAIRBANKS ALASKA / JUNE 1, 2019
“All three witnesses reported that the airplane made a normal approach to the water, in a westerly direction.”
If the airplane was flying due west then it would have a heading of 270 degrees.
The weather reporting facility (6 miles south of the accident site) reported wind from 160° at 10 knots, which is from the southeast. “Witnesses near the accident site stated that the wind conditions were from the southeast, from the direction of Purple Mountain, at 13 to 15 mph…”.

This would seem to indicate that the wind was blowing toward the left side of the airplane and a little from behind. It seems to me that the plane should have been landing straight into the wind. That means towards the southeast, toward 160 degrees. It seems to me, that would have allowed him to have a slower approach speed relative to the water, and a path on the water that is more parallel to the longitudinal axis of the airplane, so that the floats won’t hit the water with a partial sideways component..
Also, landing straight into the wind avoids a crosswind, which can cause the wingtips to bounce up and down a bit, like a teetertotter.

HOLLY / JUNE 2, 2019
I’ve read all the comments and to me, it was a terrible thing to happen. Experienced or not, its a gut wrenching accident and my heart and prayers go out to everyone involved!!!!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Doesn't take long for things to go wrong in the air or on the water. Very sad.

Alone in the Fortress of the Bears
70 Days Surviving Wilderness Alaska:
Foraging, Fishing, Hunting
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Buck_
Doesn't take long for things to go wrong in the air or on the water. Very sad.

Glad to see you posting Buck. A shame it is on something like this though. Very sad indeed

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
A friend of the family worked seasonally for Taquan after being captain of 747’s with Evergreen Air during the last Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts. Not having a bachelors degree really limited the commercial airline jobs for him despite thousands of hours in the left seat so as the war wound down and Evergreen was laying everyone off he flipped houses in the fall and winter and flew and fished out of KTN during the spring and summer. His wife, my wife’s friend, took a leave of absence and went up to dispatch flights for their close friends, the owners of Taquan during the summer. He had his own opinions about certain pilots but said that the company was very safety oriented especially after the accident several years back. Thankfully he took a job with Horizon and will likely be getting back into the bigger jets at AK airlines since they dropped the bachelor degree requirement. The last flight was on Island Air in a Caravan. I always introduce myself to the pilot and when I did I asked him how old he was and if he’d graduated from high school yet. 😁. He was 23 but looked 17 and did a fine job. He had been flying since he was 15 which on the surface seemed good but when I used my fingers and toes for the math I realized that the wranglers and Romeos I were wearing were bought before he started flying.

Back in the mid ‘50’s my father in law flew his first paying passengers from Anchorage to Kodiak at 14 years old. Before the FAA and all the rules and regulations and silly stuff like pilot licenses were implemented. He flew for a couple years for Air America mostly C-47’s and Pilatus Porters before they required him to go to Florida to get his pilots license. The government used him to see how deep he could get in and around Cuba while “getting his time in”. He was too young to realize he was the canary in the coal mine plus he was having a blast and didn’t care anyway, he was like a lot of us when we’re young, dumb and invincible.

The last couple of times heading from KTN to POW I took Island Air since they fly Cessna caravans IFR instead of Beavers into Thorne Bay or the Cove. Far more reliable flying IFR in that area than VFR but not as convenient as landing 2 blocks from the property in a Beaver. I’m not a huge fan of flying but weirdly enough once I’m in Alaska and flying in small aircraft I’m more at ease in the smaller planes simply because if that’s the way I’m called home at least I’ll have met my God in a place that I always feel the closest to him and in a place that I love. Crashing in a 737, or worse yet, an Airbus over Bakersfield or Houston is my nightmare. Overall I just like getting up and down safely and hopefully I’ll continue to do so until I die in 40 or 50 years after a passionate evening with my wife. 😁

God bless all those families affected by the crashes. I can’t imagine the grief and sadness that the owners and employees of Taquan are feeling. I’m amazed though that there aren’t even more crashes in the KTN area with all the smaller aircraft that aren’t modernized with proximity indicators and all the other fancy electronics that might’ve prevented the Beaver versus Otter midair.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Prayers and sympathy to all involved. Alaska is tough on everything!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Landed not long ago.

Taquuan launched (11) birds,while I was awaiting my hop(with a different Carrier).

Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Landed not long ago.

Taquuan launched (11) birds,while I was awaiting my hop(with a different Carrier).

Hint..................

But none of theirs were carrying passengers.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Except all of 'em.

Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
That is interesting... but a little confused. Your sentence is not clear. The (with a different Carrier) was in reference to your flight being on a different carrier? You were not suggesting they were going out under another company's license?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Except all of 'em.

Hint................

Originally Posted by Sitka deer
That is interesting... but a little confused. Your sentence is not clear. The (with a different Carrier) was in reference to your flight being on a different carrier? You were not suggesting they were going out under another company's license?

We’d all be better off if you two found a hill at 260mph but listening to ya skip and yipp is a second. Sad for the real folks who ate it. Here’s to wishing it was you not them. 🖕

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I took him to mean he was waiting for a flight with another company (Island Air ?) while watching Taquan continue with their flight schedule more or less as normal.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I took him to mean he was waiting for a flight with another company (Island Air ?) while watching Taquan continue with their flight schedule more or less as normal.

As did I. But reduced grammatically it could have several very different meanings.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

Congrats on Ciphering Retard.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm never not crystalline.

Hint...............

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fredIII

Congrats on Ciphering Retard.

<plonk>

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cheer up...Fredrica couldn't spell "Seaplane".

Nor budget a flight,make a connect or ride same.

LAUGHING!

Bless your heart...............

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Cheer up...Fredrica couldn't spell "Seaplane".

Nor budget a flight,make a connect or ride same.

LAUGHING!

Bless your heart...............

I’ll fly where ever you want to meet fatty

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sounds gay.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
She hasn't the jingle,to cover the mingle.

LAUGHING!............

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
She hasn't the jingle,to cover the mingle.

LAUGHING!............

chicken [bleep].

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh my

Her concerns are deep.

LAUGHING!...........

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 55 invisible), 2,435 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,222
Posts18,466,504
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.