Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Big fish and an even bigger smile! Our daughter needed to do some work for friends last week, so Layne asked if he could go along to fish off their dock. Turned into a memorable fishing trip when he caught this 35# flathead on a rod & reel...with 8# test line! Can you tell he is just a little excited?! smile Big thanks to Grace, too, for her work on netting the fish. Layne also caught a 9# channel cat and a couple between 2-4#. He used a throw net to catch his own bait and was using live bait for the flathead and cut bait for the channel cat.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Proud_Dad; 06/04/19.

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
GB2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Catch and release, or Catch and grease?

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
This one turned into several meals for our family and some for our friends who own the lake, too. When we set limb lines on this lake (once or twice/year) we normally release the ones under 20#.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
So when one references a "pole", are we talking about a stick of cane with a given length of line affixed, or a rod and reel system?

Regardless, a good memory there.

1Minute
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
He was using a rod & reel. We usually try to set limb lines on this lake once or twice/year and have caught a few bigger ones that way, but this is by far the biggest we have hooked and landed on rod & reel.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats to the young man! Flatheads are the very best of the catfish in my opinion.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Man, that is a lot of fish. Congratulations to Layne & Grace. Must have been quite a fight...things do get tense at the moment that net dips...:)

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Good deal especially when kids can make memories.

Back when I was in college a couple 12 year olds hit the mouth of Mary's River (Corvallis, Or) with their Zebco's and a some night crawlers. They landed about a 25lb Chinook and made the local papers with a pic. One can only imaging the panic and screaming that accompanied their first look at what was on the end.

Last edited by 1minute; 06/04/19.

1Minute
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
great catch

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
that pic. makes me want to get the grease hot

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Proud_Dad,

Tell Layne that another dedicated fisherman said, "GREAT CATCH" & "CONGRADS"..

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Very Cool!!,that's a nice fish.

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by 1minute
Good deal especially when kids can make memories.

Back when I was in college a couple 12 year olds hit the mouth of Mary's River (Corvallis, Or) with their Zebco's and a some night crawlers. They landed about a 25lb Chinook and made the local papers with a pic. One can only imaging the panic and screaming that accompanied their first look at what was on the end.

Thanks, guys. I shared your comments with Layne and that brought another smile...and a retelling of the story! smile

Can't begin to imagine the excitement of those two 12 year olds catching a salmon like that! Wouldn't that be fun to have on video?!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Proud_Dad; All,

I'm NOT sure of this, as it came from an email that was forwarded to me by another TP&WD volunteer, but allegedly a 17YO male caught an OVER 8-pound RAINBOW TROUT at Southside Lion's Club Park's lake last Friday, just before dusk on a live minnow.

TP&WD stocks the "urban" lakes around here in the late Fall & Winter with about 12" hatchery-raised Rainbow Trout in the belief that the trout won't survive our south TX Summers but SOME few do survive & grow to TROPHY sizes.
(Fwiw, I've never even seen an 8-pound Rainbow, much less ever caught one, even after 6 decades of fishing.- Fwiw, I was quite pleased with catching an about 3 pound Rainbow on a flyrod/streamer fly, some 15 years ago, on a VA military post's lake.)

Fwiw, I asked "Nathan" (by email) to see if there is a photo of the BIG trout & if there is a photo to post it to the WWW.
(I do KNOW that there are some BIG fish in those urban ponds, as I actually saw a sub-teen girl catch an over 10# channel cat out of one of the lakes & on a PINK Zebco rod/reel, using worms for bait.).

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Congratulations to the young man for his fine catch, that IS a nice Flathead.

I chased Blues on the James river for years, and would only occasionally catch a Flathead. He is 10# ahead of my best Flathead. And, I used gear appropriate for the large Blues, so I can imagine the pucker factor of that fight. He couldn't just horse it in, so he had to finesse that one just right.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I bet the lad had himself an unforgettable moment there that day on the lake.nice catch.

broken bones broken heart stripped down an torn apart a lil rust but Im still runnin countin miles countin tears twisted roads and shiftin gears year after year its all or nothin Im not home and Im not lost just holdin on 2 what I got...God and Guns
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very nice fish. Congrats.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
748 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 87 invisible), 2,788 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,027
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.