Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Jerseyboy-How do you like that Vickernan? I've been considering one for my Roberts but have not researched it.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Forester Or Redding competition dies

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Forster is my pick for seating, shoulder bump, and resizing. I also get a lee collet die for each new rifle. I get them separate but if it only comes with the Lee seater I turn that into a bump dye like Dirt Farmer. I think the RCBS competition seater is not worthwhile, they are convenient especially with small 17 caliber bullets but the run out was higher than even a Lee seater at least for me.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob

I avoid Redding seaters because I'm sick of them not hardening them and then bitching when people want to shoot compressed loads. It's not 1957, powders have gotten slower, and Redding needs to get with the times.

What's this all about?

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I do have a mix of a number of brands. Haven't had any issues with Forster or Hornady seaters, I prefer the seaters with a sliding sleeve, they do seem to work better. Where I can, I have replaced my neck dies with the Forster neck bushing/bump die, they work well for me, quite convenient, have 4 or 5 of them now, would be nice if they made a bigger selection. Only once had an issue with an RCBS, had the wrong sizing ball in it right off the bat, easy fix. I like oddball cartridges, so I have to get what dies I can for them, really never had any issues with what I've picked up, usually RCBS., occasionally Redding, usually used ones. For the ones I can't get a bushing die for, I have taken to using a neck die with no button and Sinclair expanders where possible.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I use mostly......

Redding body die
Lee collett neck die
Forster benchrest seater

If I had it to do over it would possibly be ......

Forster Benchrest Bushing Bump Neck Die
Forster Benchrest Seater

The first recommendation has the advantage if you need to full length size used brass for a different chamber but would be easy to just add a Redding body die if needed to the Forster set below

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 06/09/19.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Trystan
I use mostly......

Redding body die
Lee collett neck die
Forster benchrest seater

If I had it to do over it would possibly be ......

Forster Benchrest Bushing Bump Neck Die
Forster Benchrest Seater

The first recommendation has the advantage if you need to full length size used brass for a different chamber but would be easy to just add a Redding body die if needed to the Forster set below

Trystan

It also has the advantage of being a collet neck die rather than a bushing die...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The type S full length bushing dies are nice as they can be used as a neck size only, fL sizer, or a bump die using an oversized bushing. When possible I get a seating die reamed with the same one used for the chamber, this usually produces low run out.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I avoid Redding seaters because I'm sick of them not hardening them and then bitching when people want to shoot compressed loads. It's not 1957, powders have gotten slower, and Redding needs to get with the times.

What's this all about?

Does anyone else think this is BS, or is there something I do not know that I obviously SHOULD know? Does this have something to do with an alleged weakness of Redding's version of the sliding sleeve competition seater?

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Puzzled me so much I felt dizzy , yeah .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

What's this all about?

Does anyone else think this is BS, or is there something I do not know that I obviously SHOULD know? Does this have something to do with an alleged weakness of Redding's version of the sliding sleeve competition seater?

Direct from Redding's website:

Heavily compressed loads can create problems when seating bullets. Our Competition Seating Die is not a powder compression die. The excessive force required to seat a bullet on a compressed load can damage the die and may cause seating depth variations. Switching to a faster burning or ball powder may eliminate the need to excessively compress the powder charge.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks mathman...I thought it had something to do with the competition seater. I think there's a nub or projection in that die somewhere that can cause issues, but I've never examined one and always chose Forster for that type of die.

Standard Redding seaters never gave me any such problem and I've done some heavily compressed loads with them.

Don't be the darkness.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I like RCBS dies as good as any, I have Redding, Lee and RCBS dies and for my purpose I dont see much difference in any of them.....Most of my reloading equipment is also RCBS, but if I were in the market for a new press id get a Redding Big Boss single stage 👍.......Hb

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just about all the dies made now are serviceable. The better ones do have tighter tolerances in general but if set up properly it might be difficult to prove the superiority of one over another. A target rifle could but the typical hunting rifle there would be too many other variables to test which is better.

The seating dies are where the variations in run out come into play with some designs better than others. The was an extensive test done on seating dies maybe on accurate shooter that showed a wide range of results for run out.

I can't imagine compressing a load enough to damage even an unhardened seater die. The stem maybe but if that compressed you are asking for other issues as well.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Forster

MOLON LABE
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

615 members (163bc, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 73 invisible), 2,700 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,315
Posts18,449,232
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.