Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Rick99 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
FYI...Here is a link to some various Savage replacement stocks (not 99's) offered by Gunville.com:

http://www.gunville.com/shopping.html

I have no experience with them.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Looks like nice stuff.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'll bet if we sent templates and orders he would start making 99 stocks. They look good and very reasonable prices.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JeffG
I'll bet if we sent templates and orders he would start making 99 stocks. They look good and very reasonable prices.

I didn't see car parts.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
We're done talking about cars and motorcycles Steve..., c'mon. We're back to updating old 99s with tinkerbell pixiedust

JeffG
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
They are an outlet for Gunstocks, Inc, are they not? Compare the two and share your opinion.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yikes, my one experience with Gunstocks Inc turned out to be a waste of money. The butt stock was a log and the forearm had unfixable defects. Sometimes ya wonder if mail order isn’t another way of taking advantage of a customer. However the stocks in the link look much nicer than the chunks of wood Gunstocks Inc sent me.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Longbeardking

I didn't see car parts.

Would you like to talk about cars? Did I ever tell you about the 1927 Nash Coupe I found under a tree in a cow pasture?

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by Longbeardking

I didn't see car parts.

Would you like to talk about cars? Did I ever tell you about the 1927 Nash Coupe I found under a tree in a cow pasture?

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Fireball, what was it about that girl,...er, car you remember most?

Gunville's website says they "used to outsource their orders", but since have gotten their own copy machines and in-house craftsmen, "satisfaction guaranteed or return for a full refund"

JeffG
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Then they've changed recently because I was on a search for a cheap straight grip stock and google directed me to these folks as one option. At that time their descriptions and pics were lifted verbatim from Gunstock,Inc's website.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Well, I've been in contact with Gunville, and I'm going to give them a go. in the interest of the larger Savage Community I will keep everyone updated on my progress.

Here's a copy of our initial email exchange:

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hey Jeff,
The pricing for a set would be: $150.00 standard wood
225-275 A grade
295-375 AA
395-450 AAA
$495.00 and up on exhibition.

This would be black walnut. We do have the 99 saddle ring carbine pattern which we are told is quite rare.
Just let us know if we can help.
Thanks, Michael (336)239-6686
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: Savage 99 stocks?
Date: Thu, June 06, 2019 5:00 pm
To: <michaelgunville.com>
Hello Michael,
Thanks for your response. Yes, there are too many variables to expect 95% inletting on different 99 rifles from a single template stock. I have not found the through-bolt problem so much about variation in the angle relative to the receiver. The six stocks I have done have all had 7-1/2 – 8 degree angle off the bore centerline/vertical rear tang. The different receivers were across 65 years of manufacture, and other than tang-length variations on the very early 1899 the receiver shape is pretty darn consistent, until they get into the 1960’s tang safety models. There’s at least five different barrel tapers on the otherwise consistent receivers, plus take-down and featherweight options, that makes the forearms ALL different.

What do you have for AAA – exhibition blanks, plus approximate value for your 95% copying? And then, cost for a 99 set made from your standard straight-grained walnut for comparison? I’m attaching a photo of one that I did for myself several years ago, exceptional wood character makes the whole effort worthwhile in my opinion.

Thanks for taking the time,
Jeff Germain
Sent: Wednesday, June 05, 2019 8:48 AM
To: Jeff Germain
Subject: RE: Savage 99 stocks?

Hey Jeff,
We have carved several 99s over the years.The thing with them - there are so many variations on the profiles as well as the thru bolt angle.As savage kept going up the ladder with hi powered cartridges,the stocks would crack at the back tang.They experimented with different bolt hole locations to try to remedy the problem.

Therefore, we have to have the old stock to make sure we are cutting the right pattern.We would be glad to carve you guys some.

Just let us know how fancy you want to go on the wood and we can give you some prices.

Thanks, Michael (336)239-6686
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Savage 99 stocks?
Date: Tue, June 04, 2019 2:28 pm
To: <michaelgunville.com>
Hello Michael, Jeff Germain here, one of the members of the 24HourCampfire-Savage Collector’s forum posted a “heads-up” link to your website. I see that you do several two-piece levergun and shotgun stocks, as well as full-length rifle stocks. Do you have any thoughts about expanding to do Savage 99 stocks?

As a group, the savage collectors forum members are a deep resource for all things Savage, and could provide you with template stocks and style variations that might give you the best marketability outside our small circle. I suspect a semi-inlet two-piece set in the $150 range would be popular. There are very few offerings for Savage 99 replacement stocks.
Thanks for the consideration,

Jeff Germain
A.W. Hamel Stair Mfg, inc.
3111 Amsterdam rd
Scotia, NY 12302
(518) 346-3031 (shop)
(518) 461-0609 (cell)

JeffG

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

133 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, Algotguns, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 1,476 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,570
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.