Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Owl Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A coworker just purchased 2 complete upper receivers in 6.5 Grendel.

1) 18" stainless

2) 20" stainless.

He's getting sub-moa groups with both. 1/2" - 7/8" groups with hand loads.

So here is my question. Those of you that have actually purchased them, what are your real world experiences. I've seen both good and bad written about them. Some are just those that want to bad mouth but have no personal experience.

So, those of you that spent the money, what are your experiences and thoughts ?

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
ARIC

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The next question you will be asked how many shots is he doing 3,5 or 10?

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Owl Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The groups he showed me were 5 shot groups.

His intention's are for coyotes. If you've not hit one within a 5 shot string, it'll be in the next county by then.

Last edited by Owl; 06/04/19.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
I have a BCA complete upper in 223 Wylde. Problem is, I have yet to lay my hands on it and won't for another 56 days. I paid $189 shipped to Alaska, so I honestly don't expect 1/2" 3, 5, or 10 shot groups at 100 yards. From everything I have read, watched, etc. on them, some can get down to 1 1/4" 5 shot groups all the 8" plus at 100 yards. I will let you know what mine does when I finally get to take it the range.

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
For the price point be worthwhile to see how they do. God only knows I blew couple hundred bucks on worse things.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If they shoot good, that is great. I can think of a couple threads here where they can put their money where their mouth is.. Just sayin..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I bought a 7.62 a couple of weeks ago.I've run about 500 rounds through it without a flaw.Haven't tried any handloads or anything beyond cheap Russian steel,as I have a surplus of it from over the years.I've been impressed with the gun for the price I paid for it.It will shoot 1" groups.I'd have to say I'd buy another...
There are a few idiots on here that will give you their impressions of BCA rifles that have probably never seen one,so I guess you need to factor their views in on a decision to make a purchase.Evidently,they're some true legends in the firearms industry...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A coworker bought a Grendel barrel from them. He managed 4" groups.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
If they shoot good, that is great. I can think of a couple threads here where they can put their money where their mouth is.. Just sayin..

Thread kind of reminds me of a kimber/leupold thread..

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Bull64
I bought a 7.62 a couple of weeks ago.I've run about 500 rounds through it without a flaw.Haven't tried any handloads or anything beyond cheap Russian steel,as I have a surplus of it from over the years.I've been impressed with the gun for the price I paid for it.It will shoot 1" groups.I'd have to say I'd buy another...
There are a few idiots on here that will give you their impressions of BCA rifles that have probably never seen one,so I guess you need to factor their views in on a decision to make a purchase.Evidently,they're some true legends in the firearms industry...

Not trying to single you out, but like I tell folks that claim to have an AR in 223/5.56 that shoots consistent all day long MOA at 100 with ball ammo... lets just say I've shot a bit. And I've NEVER seen ball ammo capable of true MOA. Sure a few groups now and then won't have fliers. But shoot a few more. top line barrels I've seen maybe average 7 of 10 shots into MOA. Give or take.

Just making sure the other side of the story is out there.

And of course if yours will shoot MOA with ball, then I need a few cases of that ball or your reload data.

The projectiles hold it back, thats why Mexican match was invented

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Well if you've never seen it,then it's just not possible...
You fellas on here are the biggest one-uppers I've come across in a long time.I'm not here looking for validity,pro-pointers,or trying to impress anyone.I mainly use this site scanning the classifieds,sometimes looking into the other pages.If someone has a question on something that I can help with,I may post on a thread.But I tend to keep my thoughts to myself.I'm a hunter,not a bench-rest shooter,but in about 55 years of shooting I've burnt some powder...
I've owned,and still do,a myriad of different firearms.But the AR platform is new to me.Therefore,I don't pretend to know everything about it.But will gladly share my small experience with it,thus far.I know the benefits of hand-loads and premium ammo,but when you have several x39's that are far from target rifles,you don't hand-load for them...
My time spent on the 'fire will be spent elsewhere from now on.What's found here,is not what I'm looking for.Y'all enjoy your discussions,and try to remember that we're all on the same side...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The guy claiming that he shoots MOA groups with Russian steel case ammo is the guy accusing everyone else of being one-uppers.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You fellas on here are the biggest one-uppers I've come across in a long time.I'm not here looking for validity,pro-pointers,or trying to impress anyone.I mainly use this site scanning the classifieds,sometimes looking into the other pages.If someone has a question on something that I can help with,I may post on a thread.But I tend to keep my thoughts to myself.I'm a hunter,not a bench-rest shooter,but in about 55 years of shooting I've burnt some powder...
I've owned,and still do,a myriad of different firearms.But the AR platform is new to me.Therefore,I don't pretend to know everything about it.But will gladly share my small experience with it,thus far.I know the benefits of hand-loads and premium ammo,but when you have several x39's that are far from target rifles,you don't hand-load for them...
My time spent on the 'fire will be spent elsewhere from now on.What's found here,is not what I'm looking for.Y'all enjoy your discussions,and try to remember that we're all on the same side...

Wild guess here, if they are FAR from target rifles, they almost certainly not MOA with ball. Carry on.

I know, wtf would a few of us know that have been around the platform and shot over 100K rounds through them, accurately most of the time

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

So you are not looking for one of the most knowledgeable and helpful collections of shooters on The Fire?

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 06/05/19.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The harder you DUMB Fhuqks try,the behinder you get.

Hint...……………………...

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I picked up a 6.5 Grendel BCA 18" barrel that does 2" at 100 yards and a 7.62x39 BCA barrel that does 1.5" at 100 yards. They are both good enough for deer hunting. My groups are probably more a product of the shooter that the barrel lol. I really like the 7.62x39 it is fun as hell to shoot.

Last edited by RMiller2; 06/06/19.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BCA claims their factory to be over 340,000 sq. ft., with 250 + employees.
They must be selling a LOT of barrels to someone.

I'm sure somebody bought the same exact barrel because they thought it was QC'd by an "operator" using an x-ray microscope.

Last edited by night_owl; 06/06/19.

abusus non tollit usum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Getting ready to slap one of their .223 Wylde, 8 twist parkerized 20 in inchers on an upper in the near future...Will see how it does with some Fed GMM 69's ( picked up 30 boxes for $5 a box, wish the guy had more..)
For 80 bucks, I don't expect great things, but we'll see...

"...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Luke 22:36
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GaryLL1959
Getting ready to slap one of their .223 Wylde, 8 twist parkerized 20 in inchers on an upper in the near future...Will see how it does with some Fed GMM 69's ( picked up 30 boxes for $5 a box, wish the guy had more..)

You got an awesome deal on the ammo. Time will only tell on that barrel though... Post up your results after you get it, if you don't mind...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Please report your findings.

abusus non tollit usum
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It'll shoot and exceptionally...to the chagrin of Keyboard Kommando's everywhere.

Hint..........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Big Stick
It'll shoot and exceptionally...to the chagrin of Keyboard Kommando's everywhere.

Not a keyboard kommando here, lol. If it shoot's, I'll tell ya'll, if it don't, I'll tell ya'll and Bear Creek..

when I get the time, I'll mount the bear creek barrel and run some rounds through it. Thinking about just zeroing the glass (swfa 12x fixed) and then running a 50 round group, no break in, no cleaning, just shoot the fugger...5, 10 round groups, changing the target face for each, but using the same backer. That way it should be easier to
see what the barrel is actually capable of doing. The backer will have (hopefully, if this 80 dollar pipe will shoot) all 50 shots, so extreme spread, etc. will be visible on one paper, and should (?) give a pretty good overall picture of the capability. I'll try to figure out how to post pics of the process here, or maybe ask one of you folks to post them for me.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Not a keyboard kommando here, lol. If it shoot's, I'll tell ya'll, if it don't, I'll tell ya'll and Bear Creek..

when I get the time, I'll mount the bear creek barrel and run some rounds through it. Thinking about just zeroing the glass (swfa 12x fixed) and then running a 50 round group, no break in, no cleaning, just shoot the fugger...5, 10 round groups, changing the target face for each, but using the same backer. That way it should be easier to
see what the barrel is actually capable of doing. The backer will have (hopefully, if this 80 dollar pipe will shoot) all 50 shots, so extreme spread, etc. will be visible on one paper, and should (?) give a pretty good overall picture of the capability. I'll try to figure out how to post pics of the process here, or maybe ask one of you folks to post them for me.

Sounds like a great idea. Other than the question I have regarding barrel break in. Does BCA suggest a certain way to break the barrel in. Is it chrome lined and does anyone actually break in a barrel anymore? I'm talking shoot 5 and clean, shoot 10 and clean, or some other regimen.....Is it even necessary with a chrome lined bore?

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No idea what BCA recommends as far as break in, but I figure I'll test it like it will be used for the most part. We have a local match, 300 yards, 5 , 10 shot strings, 5 minutes per string, with a 15 minute 'cool down , reload mags' period between strings. No time for cleaning, etc. So...I figure test it like it's going to be used to see if the barrel is worth running.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dang, $80?! I don't think I can get a blank for that, much less a chambered, contoured AR barrel.

Think the barrels have gotten better since all the Mexxies were arrested?

Politics is War by Other Means
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Break in. For an expensive barrel I refuse not to do it. Its so dang simple anyway. shoot one and clean. for 5, thats getting me on the paper. Shoot 2 and clean, verify, shoot 3 and clean, thats starting to tell me about my randomly picked load. then shoot a ladder and clean. Then shoot 5 shot groups of say the 3 best loads and clean. By then its not going to be fouling, all the edges will be gone. And we can start shooting.

chrome lined, 80 buck tube. Nope, just gonna shoot and see what it does, cause it will give 80 bucks of accuracy only. Generally. Which might be more than enough for most folks uses.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
176 members (32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 24 invisible), 2,013 guests, and 966 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.