Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Around here, "ornery" is "onrey".

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My sweetheart in No. Carolina says measurements are as follows,
Next door = 1-2 minutes
Right up the road =5-10 minutes
A couple miles = 10-20 minutes
Not too far = 20-50 minutes
A little ways = over half an hour
A pretty good ways = 2+ hours

I had dinner with some of her friends, wow, I had to pay close attention to figure out what they were saying.
She's been there long enough to translate for me but not long enough to sound like a local herself.
Super people, they do sound a bit different though.. Bless their heart. grin or maybe it's me that sounds different....

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ring3
Lots of oil and gas workers here from all over the country. Often get blank stares in conversation with them.

Interesting ones are the people from Louisiana. Great fun listening to an old boy and a cajen try to make sense of what each other’s saying.

Nicknames around here are unique. Some so ingrained that only close friends or former classmates know a persons real name. Ex; Panger, T-Bone, Fats, Bench, Coony, Whip, Iggy (Ig for short), T, Sister, Sonny P, Weed, German, Murph, MudDuck, Buttons, Rafe, .....endless list. Don’t know about other areas but here nicknames are very common.

My mom had 4 sisters.....

When I am down home in Monroe Co WVa, people will ask me where I'm from... and I'll tell them that I live in Oregon... but my family was from down here and I was born down here....

First words out of their mouth is always " So if you were from down here, who's ya MaMa?"

I'll say here name is Louise Meadows....and I'll get She was one of Johnny Meadows's girls?
Which one? Trigger? Tooter, Bunny, Muffet....

They don't know my mother as Louise....I'll tell them she was Trigger... and they know exactly who I am talking about....My granddad nicknamed them all before they were three years old....

I'm one to talk tho.... each one of my kids had a nickname from me before they were two....it changed with time tho.. My son's nickname changed to Beavis when he was about 14....

My brother is 60 now.. but when I see relatives, they ask me how's BooBoo doing?
he got that nickname as a baby because one of his first sentences was from Yogi Bear, when he would repeat after BooBoo " Hey Yogi..."

He's lived with that around family for 59 years now...

My granddad's name was William Henry Meadows.. but every one called him Johnnie...
and every one called my grandmother "Happy".. when her real name was Corabelle Daisy Lilly....
not to be confused with her sister Blondie...or her brother Brownie...

just typical WVa....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ring3
Yins around here.

I got an uncle Stringer. He 71 and that’s his given name. He might hear “Hey String” once in awhile. Never really got a nickname though. Many think that’s it.

“I’ll take an tell yin’s this, aftin he spoke I skinned er back and took 3 fingers”

Translation, Hearing the news he opened a bottle of whiskey and drank about half a pint.

Now imagine the fellow saying what I quoted without a tooth in his head😁

My great grandfather on my mom's side was one of three brothers that started the Lilly Family Reunion in 1929... that reunion held every year, has made the Guinness World Book of Records many many times as being the largest family reunion either in the USA or the World.. depending on the year....

My great grandfather's legal Christian Name, was Spotts Clownly Lilly...
but of course he went by a totally different other name... his nickname, which was Jimmy...IIRC
Raleigh County WVa.....the Lillys were the first white settlers in what is now the State of West Virginia..

Robert and Francis Lilly, the family patriarchs, were both born in 1696....
Francis Died in 1810 and Robert died in 1814....
Francis lived to be 110 years old and Robert lived to be 114 years old...

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/west-virginia/lilly-family-reunion-flat-top-wv/

http://mymedievalgenealogy.blogspot.com/2013/10/robert-lilly-and-mary-fanny-moody.html

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

6mm250 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Seafire

My great grandfather on my mom's side was one of three brothers that started the Lilly Family Reunion in 1929... that reunion held every year, has made the Guinness World Book of Records many many times as being the largest family reunion either in the USA or the World.. depending on the year....

but of course he went by a totally different other name... his nickname, which was Jimmy...IIRC
Raleigh County WVa.....the Lillys were the first white settlers in what is now the State of West Virginia..

http://mymedievalgenealogy.blogspot.com/2013/10/robert-lilly-and-mary-fanny-moody.html

You some kin to old Ben Lilly ?

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've lots from my PA Dutch grandparents on my Mom's side but some of my fondest to remember is from my Step-Dad, gone now since 1986.

His name was "Carlie".......born in KY his Ma told the clerk his name was "Carl Lee".......but she she said it all together so..... LOL.

I called him "Pa" out of nothing but true respect. He was truly "more honest than the sunrise". (his saying)

Looking at something smaller than normal, like a yard or room he'd say " Hain't enough room in that to whup a good sized cat."

His favorite dessert to his dying day was "Sweetnin' Bread". A glass of milk with bread tore up in pieces and soaked in it with sugar.
Not at all like Sweet Bread..........that I like that most these days have NO clue what the H it is. Finding some is "a trial". lol

Many more will come to me today but one always had me laughing.

When Mom was nagging ("raggin") at him he would sing.....

"You can tell from the smell
She don't feel so well
Bought three days this time of the month"

and.....I cannot recall the rest......crud.

A man of honor and the hardest working man Ive ever met. Dad was too but Pa took it over the edge.
He was a factory supervisor at night, ran his own restaurant during the day and cleaned carpets and tile floor weekends.

His first wife passed away from cancer leaving him and their two children hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt.
Too proud to file bankruptcy he " worked his tail off" and paid every cent due.
He wouldn't marry my Mom till it was paid off not wanting to "bring a debt into her family".

I miss my Mom and Dad dearly.............and Pa is right up there with them.
He gave all he could and asked for nothing in return when it was family or friends.

God Bless
Steve

Last edited by Steve692; 06/05/19.

"I realize that it is natural for the people who disagree with me to think I am wrong, and I am not so arrogant as to deny that possibility."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fugawe
I referred to a mess of firewood once and someone asked me how much a mess was.
Told him it is actually a specific amount, more than a bunch but less than a schitload. Duh
A mess of bluegill is a lot more than a mess of bass.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Over in Eastern Tennessee, they have these contraptions that they call Toe-motors. I always though they were fork lifts.

They also end a sentence that offers choices with the word "one" as in "its either going to be you or me, one.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Communication is why you marry someone from the same mountain you are on, preferably the same holler.

Or even the same family.

If they are good looking ....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We talk about inbred hillbillies, but one of the most inbred group in the US is the Amish. They can only marry within their sect and there aren't enough of them for good genetic variation. In Europe, the royal families have their fair share of it, too.

― George Orwell

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Texczech
Originally Posted by gunner500
I heard an old timer say, "he clum that tree to get that girls cat down" grin

Gunner
Earl Hollerman(spell) told John Wayne something like that in the sons of Katie Elder.

I was a kid, this old guy was tall and skinny, wore overalls and smoked a pipe, some friend of Gramps' smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
How many hillbillies joined the army and fit the Germans?

― George Orwell

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
"You can't git there from here. You'll have to go to (another place) first." It means there's no direct route.
A friend is retired from the AF. When he was stationed in Charleston, SC a major that was his boss asked Bob what part of WV is he from? Bob asked how he knew he was from WV. The major replied "Only West Virginians refer to every place in directions as up or down. This applies to altitude, direction as in north or south, and direction of the nearest river.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 6mm250

Mike

If he's a West VA Lilly, then yup.... only trouble is, which Ben Lilly are ya talkin about???

Family Reunion Joke:

So at the Family Reunion, the President of the Reunion, said that we'd like Jim Lilly to come forward and give the opening Vocation and prayer....

So 300 Jim Lillys stood up....

No NO.... We were referring to "CornLicker Jim" Lilly.....

At least 3 people sat down....

6mm250 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 6mm250

Mike

If he's a West VA Lilly, then yup.... only trouble is, which Ben Lilly are ya talkin about???

Family Reunion Joke:

So at the Family Reunion, the President of the Reunion, said that we'd like Jim Lilly to come forward and give the opening Vocation and prayer....

So 300 Jim Lillys stood up....

No NO.... We were referring to "CornLicker Jim" Lilly.....

At least 3 people sat down....

Ben Lilly the houndsman , born 1856 in Alabama. His ma & pa were from North Carolina.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Lilly

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Mike,

I bet if one looked back far enough in the old family wood pile....

Hell there are Lillys I've ran across here in Oregon that their family roots from back in West Va....
in fact there are Two Lilly family Reunions annually up near Portland and then one over toward Pendleton..

There are a lot of Lillys all over the country....even a few that have managed to make themselves famous..
for 'sometimes' crazy stuff....

The other side is Meadows... there are a lot of them also, all over the country...
both sides date back a long time in this country...

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

353 members (1lesfox, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 37 invisible), 1,917 guests, and 991 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,655
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.