Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
NVhntr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My PC took a crap so I'm setting up a new one. I've been running Avast free version and it seems to work OK but I'm wondering if there is something better available? What do you like?
Avast, AVG, Panda, Kaspersky, etc.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Some things are worth spending coin on, this is one of them.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
NVhntr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Some things are worth spending coin on, this is one of them.

I have run both Avast and AVG in the past on different computers and both have served me well; I haven't had virus problems with either. I'm just not sure if there is something better out there now.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I used AVG Internet security for a number of years until the company pissed my off with one too many screw ups, I have been using Bitdefender Total Security for a few months and have had no issues.

And I surf some thoroughly disreputable sections of the internet in pursuit of information.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Apple

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

IC B2

NVhntr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

And I surf some thoroughly disreputable sections of the internet in pursuit of information.

grin grin

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
NVhntr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Apple

Nope, Windows 10

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by NVhntr

grin grin

Thought you would enjoy that. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The main difference among the free versions is the user interface. They all have access to the same virus definitions. I like AVG, nothing's sneaked by it yet and it stays out of my way. I don't see it, I don't have to fool with it and it just works. Occasionally, not often enough to be a nuisance, you get a popup trying to get you to buy it. But what do you want for nuthin', rubber biscuit?

The paid versions do more hand holding and more effort to prevent you from doing stupid things which is good for naive users but otherwise is mainly a PITA.

Should add that AVG pops up a brag notification when it stops something. You can turn that off.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I've tried a number of free versions including AVG and Avast and I've found that the anti virus capabilities built into Windows 10, Windows Security, is as good as any of them. It updates every day and doesn't impact system performance. In addition, I also use CCleaner's free version to keep the old temp files and other junk cleaned out so as not to bog down my computer.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'm using a MAC and have Avast free and it has done well. When I have hit something iffy, it flagged immediately. My wife has used AVG and they seem like pests always asking for money.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Use Vipre and Malawarebytes = no problems. Both are $ worth it.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NVhntr
My PC took a crap so I'm setting up a new one. I've been running Avast free version and it seems to work OK but I'm wondering if there is something better available? What do you like?
Avast, AVG, Panda, Kaspersky, etc.

One of the most highly-rated solutions can be had very cheaply: Bitdefender Total Security 2019 FIVE devices (Windows, Apple or Android) for one year for $US 22.95. LINK

The price at Dealarious is WAY below what Bitdefender charges, so I was suspicious and checked the company out first but it is the real deal and Bitdefender happily registered my purchase in both of the last two years. Only needed tech support once, and Bitdefender was fast and efficient at solving the problem.

LINK to a recent review of anti-malware programs

Now, I will just watch the thread for some MacMoron to post that they don't need antivirus so you should get a Mac. Bitdefender does a good job in catching phishing attacks on Macs among other threats.

John
EDITED TO ADD: If you see a counter counting down the time until the special deal expires, don't fret. It seems that there will be a new special deal with exactly the same numbers in a few days. Just marketing...

Last edited by jpb; 06/05/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
I'm using a MAC and have Avast free and it has done well. When I have hit something iffy, it flagged immediately.

See, that's why I like AVG. I turned off those notifications. I know enough to make my own decisions on what to click on. If it's truly something bad AVG will just kill it and otherwise I'm not burdened with notifications that are useless to me.

I used to use BitDefender free and it's good but AVG is less annoying.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Windows Defender (comes with windows) is really very good.

If for some reason you don't like it, Avast is rated highly by PC magazine:

https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/267984/the-best-free-antivirus-protection

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
NVhntr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by czech1022
Windows Defender (comes with windows) is really very good.

If for some reason you don't like it, Avast is rated highly by PC magazine:

https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/267984/the-best-free-antivirus-protection

Thanks for the link! It looks like Avast and Kaspersky have the highest rating so I guess I will stick with Avast.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good choice. The paid version of Avast! has some system management and privacy tools that you might find worthwhile. The free version is virus only, but it's very very good. I scan my 'pooter every month with Avast! and the free version of Malwarebytes (no real-time protection in the free one) but almost never see anything they've blocked. So Avast! and MSoft Defender must be doing all I need.

For the system tools, cleanup and general speed tweaks, I bought System Mechanic Pro. I find it MUCH better than CCleaner (which constantly bugged me with popups), and well worth the annual subscription.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
I'm using a MAC and have Avast free and it has done well. When I have hit something iffy, it flagged immediately. My wife has used AVG and they seem like pests always asking for money.

I thought that was the NRA. 😁

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't mind paying for top notch protection. I use Webroot and Malwarebytes. Zero issues

Sam......

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Move over to some flavor of LINUX - I've NEVER had any issues of any sort with linux.

On Windows, I've been using AVG. Seems to catch anything that's been an issue, which has been very few.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

198 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 31 invisible), 2,097 guests, and 1,076 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.