Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C_ROY Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have my Cape buffalo hunt scheduled for 2020 and I want to add a couple plains game animals to hunt first as a warm up prior to going on the buff hunt. My thoughts are to do a eland and a black wildebeest hunts and then finale with the cape buff hunt. I have already taken a blue wildebeest. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

PASS IT ON!
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Sounds like a great idea to me, but...

I must confess profound lack of experience in this area! smile

Guy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any hunting is good. Are you adding plains game for the same hunt as buffalo in 2020 or going for plains game in 19?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can't help you. The first animal I ever shot in Africa was a buffalo.

Do or do not, there is no try.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds good, but it is your hunt. If you want an eland and black wildebeest....by all means have at it!

Arcus Venator
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Where are you going? Few areas have buff, eland and black bewilderbeests, if you are wanting to do them all on one trip.

Zebras are always good!

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
L
LJB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
To warm up for your buffalo hunt, use your buffalo gun to get used to shooting/handling it in field conditions and get close (under 100 yards) to the game, preferably in dense brush. Eland is a very good choice because they are big and can be a real challenge to stalk within "buffalo range". Black wildebeast on the other hand are open plains animals. Hunting them, at least in my experience, is like hunting pronghorns and not anything like hunting buffalo. Even though you've taken one already, a better choice is blue wildebeast (AKA "the poor man's buffalo") because their preferred habitat is the same as a buffalo. If you don't want to take another blue wildebeast then waterbuck, kudu, impala or zebra are better choices because of the habitat in which they are usually found.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From a hunting experience standpoint, I concur that a kudu, or zebra may be a more fulfilling hunt. Black's are like the clowns of Africa. Zebra would probably be a little more realistic as they are herd animals and an absolute blast to get after and sort out the stallion.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it is all in one hunt, your PH will make the call. Usually they want to get the toughest animals out of the way first or at least attempt to get them out of the way as you may well encounter some of your other wish list animals as you are looking for buff.
You don't need to over think it. My first African animal was a buff.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Eland is a great warm up for buffalo. Will agree with others that kudu or zebra would be good too. Black Wildebeest are indeed clowns....weren't one of my favorites to hunt.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
How long is your hunt? If a Cape Buff is your goal. I wouldn't waste time with PG unless something really spectacular falls into your lap. Sometimes you find a shootable buff in a day or two. Sometime it may take 10 days. Sometimes, not at all.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree with Ingwe, but there was more than one time I wanted to shoot one that screwed up a stalk! You blow a black wildebeest and everything in the area gets blown.

Arcus Venator
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
As said, Zebra is a good idea, and I need a damn big Warthog and Water Buck, you may want to consider those too.

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What I have regretted is not allowing sufficient budget for more trophy fees. Depending on the area you are hunting what would be high on my priority list would be: Kudu, Nyala, Sable, Eland, Black faced Impala, Red Lechwee, Lessor Kudu, Bushbuck, Warthog, and many others. You only live once and the experience is beyond comparison. Blesbok make a pretty mount but are not very challenging to hunt. Baboons forget it as the novelty mounts of them sitting on the toilet are disgusting. I did shoot a Baboon because I was tired of them blowing my stalks.

A big Kudu is a part of my holy grail. I am at 60 inches on Kudu so far. Nyala are another beautiful antelope and I hope to make it back to Africa to hunt them. Any of the Gemsbok family are out standing animals to hunt and they are very striking mounts due to their coloration.

Zebra are not that difficult to hunt but I would still like to do a slam on them, Mountain, Burchells, Grevy, Hartmans, and a couple more.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just tell your PH what your priorities are and then let him make the calls. First day may still be jet lagged so good to just take a walk or better yet get there a couple days early.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Having needed up until the last day to secure my Cape buffalo, I would say focus on the buffalo first and then PG if time remains. On the other side of the coin, I shot my elephant on day one and had the whole rest of the hunt to hunt plains game. Had not planned on so much free time I hadn’t budgeted a lot for plainsgame.

My recommendation is to hunt buffalo first, since that is what you’re there for, then have a big budget for plainsgame in the event you get your buffalo day one.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
C ROY,

Since you mention black wildebeest, I assume you're hunting in South Africa. If all the hunting is going to be on a ranch, then there won't be much trouble locating buffalo. In that case, it might not be a bad idea to warm up on a couple head of plains game.

When hunting buffalo in "wild" Africa, on the other hand, it makes more sense to go after them first because they're not so predictable, and see what happens with plains game along the way.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
thats very good advise Mule Deer ,myself i am going to remember that too ! thank you Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

What LJB said !!!

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by C_ROY
I have my Cape buffalo hunt scheduled for 2020 and I want to add a couple plains game animals to hunt first as a warm up prior to going on the buff hunt. My thoughts are to do a eland and a black wildebeest hunts and then finale with the cape buff hunt. I have already taken a blue wildebeest. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

JMHO but the Eland would be the best "warm up" for buffalo, as they are usually hunted the same way, by tracking, and will lead you on a merry chase. Black wildebeest struck me as somewhat stupid, and not a hard hunt....not a good tune up for buffalo.

My choices instead would be kudu or zebra.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

599 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,207 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,304
Posts18,449,089
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.