Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Sika_ Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Does anyone have any experience with these 2 shotguns in a 20 gauge? If so which do you prefer?
Do the newer Franchi's (Affinity models) have the recoil that Franchi's used to be known for? A youth will be using it from time to time.

Don't pick the fruit until it's ripe "Primal Dreams"
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The franchi hands down. Much much better gun

Last edited by gitem_12; 06/08/19.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a big Remington fan but ill agree with the Franchi

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You didn't say what you're using it for exactly, but in this day and age there is absolutely no way I'm carrying a shotgun with a steel receiver when something in aluminum is available.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Affinity. No question. Ten out of ten times

IC B2

S
Sika_ Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by RufusG
You didn't say what you're using it for exactly, but in this day and age there is absolutely no way I'm carrying a shotgun with a steel receiver when something in aluminum is available.

Want to set up a 20 gauge for turkey hunting....Will be using 3 inch heavy loads.

Don't pick the fruit until it's ripe "Primal Dreams"
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Sika_

Want to set up a 20 gauge for turkey hunting....Will be using 3 inch heavy loads.

That may change my choice to the Remington simply because I'm a fan of turkey guns having red dots and I don't think the franchi is D&T.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
It's a horse a piece though I lean toward the Remington as I am extremely familiar with them, any possible breakage is easily repaired, and there are plenty of options available for them. The Affinity is a nice gun from a reputable manufacturer and would be a good choice too.

I have not heard of a Franchi having any more recoil than any other similar firearm. Recoil is a matter of gun weight, shot charge weight, and velocity. Gun manufacturer has no part in the equation. Stock dimensions determine gun fit and how the recoil is transmitted to the shooter and this is peculiar to the individual and again has nothing to do with the manufacturer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sika_

Okay, well then you can completely ignore what I said above LOL. Unless it's a real long hump to get where you're going.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
It's a horse a piece though I lean toward the Remington as I am extremely familiar with them, any possible breakage is easily repaired, and there are plenty of options available for them. The Affinity is a nice gun from a reputable manufacturer and would be a good choice too.

I have not heard of a Franchi having any more recoil than any other similar firearm. Recoil is a matter of gun weight, shot charge weight, and velocity. Gun manufacturer has no part in the equation. Stock dimensions determine gun fit and how the recoil is transmitted to the shooter and this is peculiar to the individual and again has nothing to do with the manufacturer.

Operational mechanism affects recoil too. An intertis gun is going to kick harder than a gas gun

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Franchi affinity 3 20 gauge is an excellent choice. Long response so hang with me...

My older franchi affinity12 gauge never misses a beat and I use it as a trap team loaner and it runs when fellow trap team members 1187s are jamming. Its never failed in the duck blind either.

I liked it so much that I bought a 12 ga Affinity 3 and a 20 gauge affinity 3 for turkey guns and keep the older one for ducks & loaner.

The newer affinity3s are drilled and tapped and you can either use a weaver 93A mount ( and shorten the front screws) or buy a Sumtoy mount for $50. I just bought a sumtoy mount to try, but I know I will like it because it will mount my burris FF3 much lower.

I'll admit the 20 gauge wasnt ejecting light shells well, but I had not broke it in with heavier loads on the trap field either. Thats where the 12 gauge behaved better. The 20 has no issues with 3 inch shell ejection.

The best part of the franchis... they have much better triggers than my all my other shotguns until I get to my citori 725.

Zero hesitation on using a franchi for a general purpose and turkey gun

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If the Franchi is D&T...forget the 1187

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
1187 will kick less. Franchi will be brutal and will want upgrade to avoid Benelli click, even though it is a more reliable gun overall.

If you want forty yard performance and light recoil with factory loads, investigate .410 TSS loads from Browning.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
1187 will kick less. Franchi will be brutal and will want upgrade to avoid Benelli click, even though it is a more reliable gun overall.

If you want forty yard performance and light recoil with factory loads, investigate .410 TSS loads from Browning.

"Benelli click" is a figment of your imagination. It's not a condition caused by design failure. It's caused completely by ooeator error

The franchi is a far superior gun to anything Remington has ever designed and built

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I’d opt for the 1187 due to it being gas operated. It will likely be easier to handle and more fun for a kid. Not a fan of the inertia guns for kids or myself.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by gitem_12

Operational mechanism affects recoil too. An intertis gun is going to kick harder than a gas gun

An inertia gun and a gas gun are not similar other than being semiautomatics. Compare a gas gun with another gas gun or an inertia with an inertia and one with a like system and one won't see a difference in recoil due to mechanism.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

An inertia gun and a gas gun are not similar other than being semiautomatics. Compare a gas gun with another gas gun or an inertia with an inertia and one with a like system and one won't see a difference in recoil due to mechanism.

Well no schit... Geezus. Do wesr captain fugging obvious pajammas to bed too?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Ive never had an issue with the benelli click on any of my franchi's and its an operator error issue. Weve noticed its from people sliding the bolt back to see if a shell is in there.

As far as recoil...
a gas gun will ideally kick less and they tend to be really heavy.

But they would be no worst than any of the light 870 youth pump guns people pimp out for turkey. The franchi comes with sling studs, drilled and tapped, and a better trigger in a package around 6 pounds so its a nice place for a light turkey gun.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One word. Benelli.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I would watch youtube videos on how to strip and clean the guns to help you decide too.

You will be stripping that 1187 4X more often though....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (AdventureBound, 338reddog, 260Remguy, 44automag, 4xbear, 79S, 13 invisible), 1,638 guests, and 941 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,189
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.