Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Ah, this morning was so nice at the NCW Gun Club! Cool, overcast, light breeze.

I took the 375 H&H Ruger Number One out to the range for a practice session. It's currently topped with the 1.5-5x Leupold. Today's ammo was the 270 grain RNSP Hornady over 69 grains of RL-15. The load is accurate & powerful. I've had this rifle for ten years now and have shot three bears with it. It's become one of my absolute favorite hunting rifles, and I wish I'd taken an elk or a mule deer with it as well, but that hasn't happened yet. Someday perhaps.

I'd only intended to shoot about 10 rounds today... But... Well... When I'm shooting one of my favorite rifles, it's hard to know when to quit. So... 35 rounds went downrange. smile

Shortest range I shot at was 20 yards, longest was only 100 yards. I did rest the rifle across my backpack for some shooting, but a most of it was from sitting or standing with no support. I surely do enjoy shooting this nice rifle. Reliable, accurate, great handling. Makes me grin so much. A few years ago I considered selling it, but am so glad that I didn't do that. This one is a keeper.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You can see where we had the fire department out to do a controlled burn on the range. Seemed prudent, given the summers/fire seasons we've had so often in recent years. They did a great job of burning the grass & weeds!

Am planning to carry this rifle for black bear again this year. Hoping for another success! smile

Regards, Guy

BP-B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
The No. 1 in 375 H&H is a dandy - I had one a number of years back that I shot a cow elk with but traded it off for a No. 1 450/400 NE. Then I found another No. 1 375 H&H that was the standard model but had Boddington series wood on it and that one is probably the most accurate rifle I own:

[Linked Image]

Final sight in at 100 yds and I haven't shot it on paper since:

[Linked Image]

C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
They can be amazingly accurate. I have to admit, I've fallen hard for both the cartridge, and the Number One rifle.

JGray - ya, you have a winner with the walnut on that rifle!

Guy

Last edited by Cascade; 06/06/19.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
My Number One H in 375 H&H does the same. My last loads were with the old 300gr. Hornady using IMR4350. Those loads were good for 2600 fps with good accuracy.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I bought a #1 .375 H&H new at least twenty-five years ago and used it mainly for cast bullet shooting. I realize felt recoil is a very subjective thing, but with factory equivalent jacketed bullet loads using 270- and 300-grain bullets, recoil from a benchrest was quite heavy, enough to cause a headache after just a few rounds. I had never experienced this before with any rifle. Offhand recoil probably would not have been nearly so bad, but I quickly turned to cast bullets for use in this rifle.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have always used Re-15 but Varget is turning my head....

Murphy was a grunt.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cascade
They can be amazingly accurate. I have to admit, I've fallen hard for both the cartridge, and the Number One rifle.

JGray - ya, you have a winner with the walnut on that rifle!

Guy

Yours is no slouch in the lumber department either. Nice rifles, guys.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My No.1 in 375 H&H wouldn't shoot worth beans with RL-15 or IMR 4064 using Speer GS 285gr, Sierra 300gr SPBT, or Nosler 300gr Partition's. I'm talking 4-5" groups at 100. When I tried IMR4350 and H4350 under the same three bullets it became accurate like JGray's rifle. It was such an abrupt turn around that I thought it was obviously my operator error with the previous test results using RL-15 and IMR 4064. So I tried again with the medium burners and got the exact same big groups. Never saw such a huge difference in any of my rifles with just a powder switch. I mainly shoot LBT LFN 250gr. cast bullets (sized .379") with 43.0gr IMR 3031 @ 2000 fps for practice and fun. It's very accurate with cast bullets.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
old thread I know but I load 69gr of R15 under 270 spire point hornadies as well. they shoot great. Another load is the same powder charge under 235gr speers. Great deer round and my no 1 and Winchester m70 loves it.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Guy,

You'd think with all the shooting you do with that rifle, the barrel would be toast by now!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
lotech,

One thing I discovered about the .375 H&H No. 1 (I had one exactly like Cascade's for several years) is that for me, felt recoil less WITHOUT a scope, despite the lighter weight.

Their stocks are pretty much designed for iron sights, and I used mine with irons on one African safari to take a Cape buffalo and five head of plains game from impala to kudu. During the pre-hunt practice sessions I realized the reduction in felt recoil was due to my cheek being firmly settled on the comb, rather than being a little way above. With a scope, the comb rose upward into my cheek during--not too much, but enough to make a definite difference.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Mule Deer -That's an interesting observation. I did fire my #1 a few times without a scope using factory equivalent jacketed loads, but don't really recall how the unscoped gun compared with the scoped gun as far as felt recoil. Regardless, that rifle is long gone. With cast bullets of that diameter, my Winchester 1885 reproduction in .38-55 is quite pleasant to shoot.

C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Guy,

You'd think with all the shooting you do with that rifle, the barrel would be toast by now!

I actually worry about that anymore! So, I've cut back on my plinking & range time with it. This rifle shoots really well, and I don't want to mess that up! I can do most of my rifle marksmanship training with the 22 rimfire, 223 AR-15, 308 Win, and a fairly recent addition, the 6mm Creedmoor RPR. I don't need to put a bunch of rounds through the 375, though I thoroughly enjoy shooting it.

Guy

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
lotech,

One thing I discovered about the .375 H&H No. 1 (I had one exactly like Cascade's for several years) is that for me, felt recoil less WITHOUT a scope, despite the lighter weight.

Their stocks are pretty much designed for iron sights, and I used mine with irons on one African safari to take a Cape buffalo and five head of plains game from impala to kudu. During the pre-hunt practice sessions I realized the reduction in felt recoil was due to my cheek being firmly settled on the comb, rather than being a little way above. With a scope, the comb rose upward into my cheek during--not too much, but enough to make a definite difference.

I wear eyeglasses, and my #1, 375 H&H would come back so quick the scope would contact my glasses. It bothered me so much i was flinching and dodging the scope everytime i shot it. This was off a bench. I finally installed one of the Leupold scout scopes as well as one on my 458 Win #1. My CZ550 Safari American in .375H&H fits me so much better it seems like a pussycat to shoot as compared to a wildcat with the Ruger.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That #1 would be fun to use on an elk hunt.

JB, isn’t there an aftermarket mount/rings setup that would lower the scope height?

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Blacktail53

JB, isn’t there an aftermarket mount/rings setup that would lower the scope height?

The rifle has been carried on an elk hunt... Sigh, no shot opportunity. I'll try again. Such a burden. Ha!

Guy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a right handsome rifle!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Blacktail53,

No, because the stock is basically designed for irons. But there are add-on, adjustable, temporary pads that will not only line up your eye with the scope, but are much softer than walnut wood.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Good post Guy...I know you've enjoyed that rifle from JB, and done well with it. A factory rifle doesn't get much more classic than that one.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Cascade
Originally Posted by Blacktail53

The rifle has been carried on an elk hunt... Sigh, no shot opportunity. I'll try again. Such a burden. Ha!

Guy

I'm also unsucessful on elk with the No. 1 375 H&H I posted here, but a number of years back did take a cow with an identical No. 1 375 H&H. Walked up on her bedded in timber and as she stood up facing me head on, I put a 270 Speer through her neck at 40 yards. She went straight down without a step one hour into an opening day hunt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
699 members (160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 72 invisible), 2,801 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.