Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K.Kale Mausers, how good are they?

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are fine. A bit of an oddball though. They have a large front receiver ring yet they are threaded for a small shank barrel. They also have a small extension over the barrel on the front ring that needs to be filed or turned off with a lathe.
One of the cool things about a Turk is you can re-thread most barrels down to fit. My first Turk conversion used a re-purposed Ruger barrel. Remington barrels will also work, with re-threading of course.

My last Turk with a E.R. Shaw 338-06 barrel.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I understand that they will also take a Swede barrel.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by John_Boy
I understand that they will also take a Swede barrel.

Yep any small ring Mauser barrel will screw on.... set headspace and you are good to go

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve got one that had a Remington Classic .250 Savage barrel screwed on. Nothing fancy but it shoots bug holes.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I bought 30 of them back when they were selling for $29.95 apiece for complete rifles. I built several custom rigs on those actions, and I've still got a few left in "as-issued" condition- - - - -desert sand and all!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I bought one several years ago for $100 at a gun show.
Mom n Pop gun shop.
The action was smooth and slick.
Sold it before I got to shoot it......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought one in the early 2000's. I had the barrel recrowned, the rear sight removed, replaced the front sight with a 1/16" bead, and added a Williams FP sight to it. It is one of my favorite rifles to shoot, and will consistently keep 1.6" three shot groups at 100 yds. I hunted with it one year and took a buck on a hunt that was pretty satisfying, but at 9# 9 oz. and with a 28-1/4" barrel it just isn't a hunting rifle.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
There's this one I put together from somebody else's incomplete project for my brother in law. I never had it to the range other than testing it for proper function, but he seems to like it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Although he did have me swap out the repo sniper safety for an FN style one and the Russian scope for a Weaver Classic 4x38.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a 1903 Turkish Mauser at BIG5 for $54 out the door in ~2000.

We have since bought dozens of Turkish Mausers for rebarreling.

[Linked Image]
This ~ 2005 pic is my youngest brother showing a Turkish Mauser in 8x57 before sporterizing, and a Turkish Mauser after sporterizing in 223.

[Linked Image]
Welding Turk 1903 bolts

[Linked Image]

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I remember seeing tables full of Turkish Mausers back in the 90s at gun shows priced for less than $100 and nobody payed much attention to them. Now I seldom see one or two a year

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If I remember correctly, there was a gun head here on the fire that would cut a Turkish Mauser action in half, remove an inch or so, weld it back together and build some pretty descent sporters.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Turks are a bit odd at times. As was said above some of the Large Ring receivers have small ring threads.
Another weird thing is that some Turks have the standard 12 TPI of most Mausers but some have 11-1/2 TPI.

Add to the mix that some "Turks" are German made and some are Turkish made, but some of the German made ones are all marked in the Turkish way, so unless you can read Arabic (I think) you can't read where it says "Made in Germany."

And I was told (by a man I believe knows what he is talking about) that some were also made in Czechoslovakia at BRNO, but I can't swear to the truth of that. If so I have no idea how to tell from the Turkish style marks if an action is Czech or not.

I have worked on some that seemed sloppy and rough, and I also have worked on a hand full that were VERY well done and as nice as any other Mauser I have had the pleasure to use.

I fear I only make the waters muddier here, but there is a lot to know and many questions to answer. I would love to learn a bit more too.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have handled hundreds of Mausers over the years from various countries and manufacturers, and have read a couple of books on Mausers that are very informative on the subject, but it still boggles the mind on the endless variations that were in circulation.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I make .223-length Mausers by shortening the bolt, firing pin, magazine, floorplate and receiver of the old small ring Spanish 1893 rifles. It's a fun project, but extremely labor-intensive. One nice thing is that the 93's are "non-guns"- - - - -pre-1898 and not subject to all the BATFE-I-E-I-O bullscheize paperwork hoops to jump through!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jericho
I remember seeing tables full of Turkish Mausers back in the 90s at gun shows priced for less than $100 and nobody payed much attention to them. Now I seldom see one or two a year

When I was getting Turks for $54 out the door at BIG5 in 2001, Century was sending 4 Turks for $100 postage paid to C&R licence holders. That went on for a long time.

When I got my first Turk in 2001, I stayed up all night taking it apart, marveling at the design and machining of a 98 Mauser made in Oberndorf.

3 of us got shops set up to rebarrel Turkish Mausers. Now 18 years later we are old and gray, but Turkish Mausers changed our lives. One guy is working on cars, another tractors, and I am making chisel handles today.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Try this
Type VI, Oberndorf intermediate action
Action OAL: 8.750
Recvr screws, center to center: 7.835
Bolt body length: 6.165
Magazine length: 3.115
Receiver ring dia: 1.410, large ring
Barrel shank dia: .980, small shank

I call this the Oberndorf intermediate action, as they are the only ones who produced it. Commonly encountered models include:
1903 Turk
1909 Peruvian
1935 Argentine
Oberndorf Commercial

The 1903 Turk and the 1909 Peruvian also share some other qualities. They both have a very high clip bridge, and a long curved arm on the ejector box that puts pressure on a stripper clip loaded into the receiver, holding it in place. The 1935 Argentine and the Oberndorf commercial action do not have this.
This type has a longer than normal receiver ring, and a longer than normal cocking piece, with a shorter than normal bolt body, hard to figure where the weight savings come in!

M38 Turk
Action OAL: 8.750
Recvr screws, center to center: 7.835
Bolt body length: 6.370
Magazine length: 3.315
Recvr ring dia: 1.410 large ring
Barrel shank dia: .980 small shank

The K. Kale marked Mausers are usually considered to be indigenously made by the Turks starting in the 1940s. Others are the ANSFA Ankara marked Mausers which typically were made for the Turks by the Germans or Czechs to the large ring small shank parameters. Many of the 1903 Turk mausers found now were modified to the M38 standard. These will usually be marked ANKARA and may have a small half circle cut out of the top of the front ring depending on overall action lenght.

The "M38" Turk is a bit of a misnomer as it seems to be our casual identifier for this group of actions and not an offical designation by the Turks. ANKARA M38 mausers may be found with partially ground off GEW, Czech and BRNO markings.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And then there are the reworked GEW Mausers that are marked ATF. Arab Turkish Firearms Mausers have large ring threads and usually a short front ring

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
I bought one here a few years ago and sporterized it for my son. It’s quite a nice rifle now; chambered to .257 Roberts in a Boyd’s Prairie Classic stock with their laser engraved checkering.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Got an action being worked on now. Will become much like efw's picture there. They are generally pretty good to build on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
384 members (1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 40 invisible), 2,048 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,004
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.