Page 19 of 31 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 30 31
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
MLGA, make leupold great again.

laugh laugh

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Does it appear that Leupold's quality control has slipped? I can't agree because I don't see it with my L scopes. But I don't doubt the testimonials either. I bought my last L scope two years ago - a VXR 3-9x40. Its been in an airboat traveling over 50 miles of the Talkeetna River, backpacked 10 days up steep mountains onto the tundra with a last day average caribou. Means more than a day one monster. After that it went snowshoeing in the New Mexico mountains for a cow elk. Now all things can and do break. If Leupold has cut corners, then they deserve the wrath of the faithful. They should look to Camera Land to see what a correct business model looks like. But to those who like to "jerk around", please respect what Doug is trying to do.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here are my Leupold products.

[Linked Image]

The bottom 3 are Redfield Revolution scopes with Accurange reticles. Fantastic scopes that to the best of my memory adjusted pretty close to as they should. They have been set and forget scopes. The glass and weight are best in the price class.

Next up is an old friction Vari X-1. It pretty well behaved as it should, but the Ruger it's on isn't terribly accurate, so I dis have to twist a bit to get it set.
Going up from there: a new VX-1, two silver VX-II and two VX-3. Again, weight and glass are price class leading. To the best of my recollection getting these set was an adventure.

My most accurate rifles don't wear Leupold. I twist them on occasion. I'd like for them to wear Leupold because I am big on made in the USA, but I have consumed enough reliable information to have doubts about how they would perform with regular twisting.

Summary: Love the glass, love the weight, love that I have set them and have never had to adjust them, love that they are made in the USA and love that they have been reliable once set. I should add that I don't shoot a whole lot. Don't love chasing bullseyes while dialing them in. It's maddening. Don't love what I have come to believe is a lack of reliability when dialing Leupolds. I do love what I have read about Leupold customer service.

My most recent scope purchases have not been Leupold. Leupold has some work to do. I hope they'll do it, but I have my doubts. I think they have done what Ruger has done in accepting customer returns as a part of their QC process. That's a damn shame too because Leupold is my favorite scope maker and Ruger is my favorite gun maker, but they are both unquestionably taking their customers for granted, and neither seems to give a damn.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
When the bean counters run the store and the engineer/Loony types are in the back seat, it takes a toll.

A rush to the bottom line can leave some gaps along the way.

If one takes care of business, of customers, the bottom line will take care of itself.

Can't get the cart ahead of the horse.

But it seems to happen over and over.

DF

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I'd like to see Leupold update and upgrade - and then provide proof - of their engineering and quality control tests. Take a look at those for Nikon, as an example. It would go a long way to restoring confidence. (Not that a Nikon can't fail, but, at least you know how they are tested).

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by EdM
What to do, what to do...

That depends. Are you bragging, or complaining?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Cumbaya...

Is the oft-refrenced erector issue due to design flaw or materials? Aren't they often better after a rebuild? If so, are the rebuild parts sourced differently?

The FireDot is pure awesomeness.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
That sounds fun! Have a blast. Write up a trip report for us. Good luck!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Cumbaya...

Is the oft-refrenced erector issue due to design flaw or materials? Aren't they often better after a rebuild? If so, are the rebuild parts sourced differently?

Good luck with that one. I've asked the same thing perhaps three times with no response, or even a WAG. Not knowing the answer makes it seem possible that if one gets sent back enough times, eventually it'll fall into the hands of a good repaiman who'll luck into good repair parts, then all will be well.

In the absence of an answer, I have to fall back on the reports of reliable sources who've sent scopes back repeatedly that either weren't repaired or were fixed and broke again, and add in ones where the tech said nothing was found to be wrong, and conclude that design, poor components, and QC all play a part at times, singly or in combination. All those possibilities could be taken care of if the company honchos wanted to.

Still holding my breath with my VX-5.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Cumbaya...

I had 2 Leopold dialers rebuilt 3 times each due to weak errector springs. They did not put in a different type of spring on the rebuild. As a result, problems developed between 250 and 300 rounds. The Leopold rep said they weren't strong enough for what I was doing with them,which wasn't that strenuous. That was about 6 years ago. Those 2 scopes went down the road. Replaced with SS scopes. No problems since.

IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by EdM

Worrying.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
"Let's work together with and on Leupold "

If Doug can get Leupold to listen, I'd like to know what he eats for breakfast! Thanks for trying just the same.

Please excuse my skepticism and negativity. It's more directed at Leupold. I'm sure if you ask them, they are all that. You'd hear all about numbers and market share, new lines, profit margins, features.

But if you ask people that use their products, they fail. I'm one of those guys. What matters most to me, Leupolds opinion of themselves, or my experience with their products? Too big for their britches IMO.

LOL
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Fireball2

If Doug can get Leupold to listen, I'd like to know what he eats for breakfast! Thanks for trying just the same.

Please excuse my skepticism and negativity. It's more directed at Leupold. I'm sure if you ask them, they are all that. You'd hear all about numbers and market share, new lines, profit margins, features.

But if you ask people that use their products, they fail. I'm one of those guys. What matters most to me, Leupolds opinion of themselves, or my experience with their products? Too big for their britches IMO.

Sums it up rather nicely.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Fireball2

They dont fail regularly if anyone asked me.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by atse
Cumbaya...

I had 2 Leopold dialers rebuilt 3 times each due to weak errector springs. They did not put in a different type of spring on the rebuild. As a result, problems developed between 250 and 300 rounds. The Leopold rep said they weren't strong enough for what I was doing with them,which wasn't that strenuous. That was about 6 years ago. Those 2 scopes went down the road. Replaced with SS scopes. No problems since.

Now, those scopes would have been fine for the guy that has 70 bolt action rifles and 30 extra leupold scopes (sound familiar here) lying around. Im imagining a lot of those guys that have never had a leupold "failure", are more collectors than "shooters". Im thinking Leupold should (when they weed through this schit) listen to those of us that actually shoot and have had real failures. We are only a small percentage of hunters and shooters here, compared to the populus of the world, but with as many failures a lot of us have had with Leupold, they are probably well aware of the problems their products have. I cant imagine the amount that are sent back for warranty repair each year. There must be an obvious reason, why, they choose NOT to nip the problem in the bud....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM

Worrying.

Understood Ed, I believe that is the main point of the ire towards Leupold. People spent a lot of time and money organizing hunts these days and you certainly wouldn't want to risk success due to a product failure.
If I was you I would stick with tried & true... not worth the risk

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by IceCut
Originally Posted by Sevastopol
Originally Posted by hookeye
Leupold Freedom EFR 3-9X.
Has a blur ring around the outside edge of the lens Dunno if that lens issue or due to being recessed in the Adj Obj.
Is there and noticeable.

First Leupold I've had in Freedom line, no other Vari X2 VX3 VX1 or M8's have had that "feaure".

Bought another new Freedom optic unseen (ordered through local dealer-same as other).
Freedom RDS.
Can see a gold square around reddot reflected onto lens.
Against a dark object w intensity low it's VERY noticeable. Even outside in bright light it appears as a faint blur around the dot.
What the hell use is a 1 MOA dot when it's in actuality a 3 or 4 moa blur with a 1 moa red center?

Used rifle came into LGS, Freedom 3-9X (non AO). It has a blur around outside edge too, but lesser than my EFR.

Read reviews, watched YT videos............."crisp to edge" was mentioned a few times.
Have looked at two and the both are not.

Yeah, you look at the center, but the blur is so blatant its a casual distraction.
My Redfiekld Revolutions (three 2-7X, one 3-9X and one 4-12X).................didn't have it.

Is there a noticeable edge to the blur? If so, it may be used to gauge distance.

Now, now, did you buy that sucker on E-Bay...it could be grey market Chinese....

"Gray market" is genuine merchandise from an "alternative" source: fell off the truck, stuff that failed inspection and was recovered from the trash, repaired then resold, goods meant to be sold in a foreign market; anything outside of the authorized supply chain.

Fakes are just fakes.

+1

I will repeat, the items were ordered through my LGS that got them from well known suppliers (Sports South, Ellets or ?).
Usually order by Tues, and get by Friday.
Used to work for that shop too.............they never bought from grey market.

Last edited by hookeye; 06/07/19.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM

Worrying.

Sorry, for some reason I thought you were a big Leuopold fan. I agree with irf, on a hunt like that it's not worth the risk, and personally I wouldn't want to go on a hunt like that with a scope I didn't have confidence in.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stock second from top is dead sexy.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Stock second from top is dead sexy.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
[Linked Image]

It transformed the handling of the gun completely. I still haven't rung it out good yet.

Page 19 of 31 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 30 31

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 257man, 204guy, 58 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,640
Posts18,455,347
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.