Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JamesJr Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Any of y'all have any problems with buttercup weed, wild buttercups, or whatever it's called in your neck of the woods. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd go out and take a pic. I have quite a bit in several pastures and sprayed them today with 2-4-D. It's hard to control. I've tried keeping it bushhogged down, sprayed it, and it still comes back. There seems to be a variety of thoughts around here as to what to do with it. Some farmers do nothing, while others fight it. I'm going to try spraying it into submission, as 2-4-D is cheap, and doesn't break the bank using it. Also, you can graze it right after spraying it.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not too much of an issue here, as they are so short lived.

I think it gets hot sooner here and the life cycle is too short to be problematic.

Wet and warm does make morning glory problems here though. I usually have to spray for those.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Is it buttercups or "snakeweed"/"bitterweed"

When I see them I think overgrazed land.

I watched many a pasture along I-40 go to that natural (or unntural) progression over the years

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
JamesJr Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LouisB

I watched many a pasture along I-40 go to that natural (or unntural) progression over the years

I thought that was the cause also, but then I've also seen it grow in pastures that were thick and not hardly grazed. But, from what I can understand, it does grow faster in pastures that are overgrazed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by LouisB

I thought that was the cause also, but then I've also seen it grow in pastures that were thick and not hardly grazed. But, from what I can understand, it does grow faster in pastures that are overgrazed.

+1

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Is this the one you have problems with?

http://illinoiswildflowers.info/weeds/plants/bur_btcup.html

It's what we have around our place, every late winter/early spring. It gets torched when it comes up, which is usually before much else. I've learned to ID it when there's only a couple of leaves showing.

If that's the one you have, good luck with it as from what I've been able to gather, the seeds can remain dormant for a few years like puncture vine (goatheads)

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,949 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,697
Posts18,456,685
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.