Print Thread
Hop To
K
KU_Geo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I often see people posting pictures of groups that look like the group and data were measured in some software. I assuming this is some app for iPhone or etc... anyone have a idea of what this is or a recommendation for an app to do this?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I use Sub MOA on iPad and its available as Range Buddy for android/ PC. Free and it works fine after a little learning curve.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use On Target on a desk top, just need to scan target in.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ballistic-X for your I-Phone. Simple and works extremely well.

Chris
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Prwlr

+1
I believe On Target is what is used for official benchrest scoring.

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tyrone

+1

49.95 for fully functional program. The others are free and work just fine for the average shooter.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never had the need for the pay functions in On Target.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You do understand trial software right? It quits functioning after 15 days unless you buy it.

[Linked Image]

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

+1

I can only find reference to the Sweany device as approved by IBS and NBRSA. Could you provide a link in the rules for this as used in registered match.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I just use a good old-fashioned engineers scale in 1/10". Interpolate to the nearest 0.05".

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swifty52
You do understand trial software right? It quits functioning after 15 days unless you buy it.
[Linked Image]

There's a non-expiring shareware version out there. Or at least when it does expire, it still maintains base functionality.

I've been using it for over a dozen years on several computers.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

+1

I can only find reference to the Sweany device as approved by IBS and NBRSA. Could you provide a link in the rules for this as used in registered match.

Been shooting BR for many years and haven't heard the term sweany device. I still learn a little every day. This is what we use in BR.
http://www.neiljones.com/html/target_measuring.html

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What you posted comes up when searching Sweany Device or Reticle. No matter as I still haven’t found where On Target Software or any Software is approved for scoring.

https://internationalbenchrest.com/documents/folder/rules/rulebook_for_score_and_group_disciplines
Page 21 section F
Group Measurements
1) Groups are to be measured by any method approved by the IBS in one thousands of an inch. The Sweany reticule rule or its equivalent will be the only official measuring device used at all registered matches. In measuring groups fired with calibers for the caliber to be measured, the measurement shall be made from the extreme outside edges of the two widest bullet holes and the actual differential of the larger calibers shall be subtracted from the measurement read on the Sweany Measuring Scale.
2) All scoring shall be by group size from center to center of the widest shots, using the Sweany Rule or equivalent. The following procedure has proven successful.

https://www.nbrsa.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/rule_book_nbrsa_201901311001.pages.pdf

I take it that this is the Sweany Reticle rule also.

Group Measurements: Groups shall be measured in .001 increments. The Host Club shall be responsible for providing a Dial Caliper which has scribed reticles of at least .224, .243 and .308. Other caliber reticles may be used if available. To measure groups shot with bullets of a caliber different from those above, the available reticle closest in size to the different caliber bullet shall be used and the difference shall be added or subtracted as appropriate.

Swifty
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
What you posted comes up when searching Sweany Device or Reticle. No matter as I still haven’t found where On Target Software or any Software is approved for scoring.

https://internationalbenchrest.com/documents/folder/rules/rulebook_for_score_and_group_disciplines
Page 21 section F
Group Measurements
1) Groups are to be measured by any method approved by the IBS in one thousands of an inch. The Sweany reticule rule or its equivalent will be the only official measuring device used at all registered matches. In measuring groups fired with calibers for the caliber to be measured, the measurement shall be made from the extreme outside edges of the two widest bullet holes and the actual differential of the larger calibers shall be subtracted from the measurement read on the Sweany Measuring Scale.
2) All scoring shall be by group size from center to center of the widest shots, using the Sweany Rule or equivalent. The following procedure has proven successful.

https://www.nbrsa.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/rule_book_nbrsa_201901311001.pages.pdf

I take it that this is the Sweany Reticle rule also.

Group Measurements: Groups shall be measured in .001 increments. The Host Club shall be responsible for providing a Dial Caliper which has scribed reticles of at least .224, .243 and .308. Other caliber reticles may be used if available. To measure groups shot with bullets of a caliber different from those above, the available reticle closest in size to the different caliber bullet shall be used and the difference shall be added or subtracted as appropriate.

All I will say is IBS and NBRSA uses the Neil Jones type measuring device. If that is a sweany, it is good, but whatever it is called, the Neil Jones device is used only by these 2 organizations for measuring groups.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I just downloaded Ballistic-X for $7.99 and used it on some target pictures I had on my phone. That’s pretty slick

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,511
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.