Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Apologies here, too. No way I wished to imply that some are serving poison.

It is certainly true that judges only get one bite, whereas guests tend to eat the whole serving - and that seasonings therefore tend to be radically different for each type of cooking. It isn't just steak and BBQ contests, either. Few people would want to down a full bowl of contest-winning chili!

There are several brands of meat tenderizers out there for general use. Most of them use a papaya derivative, I think, and are probably safe for full-meal use, but perhaps only occasionally. I personally don't use them, but will not cast aspersions on those who choose to. Especially if the meat they bought turns out to be a bit chewy!

Grill on, friends. My Grill Grates are already enroute. (Ordered Saturday, shipped this morning. That's great - or GRATE - service!)

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I think I just learned how the steak in some restaurants is so tender, almost soft, it just doesn't seem right. Ponderosa comes to mind.

Some use a Jaccard tenderizer on their steaks.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Got my Grill Grates. They turned out to be a wee fraction too long for my grill, but a few minutes with a chop saw fixed that. I seasoned mine with an onion, as recommended, and it made an immediate and obvious color change on the tops of the ribs. They went from gray to black. Next up, some Omaha steaks - which my daughter ordered for me as a Dad's Day gift. They should arrive Tuesday.

Anyway, the Grill Grates are clearly superior quality, and I could have ordered them a quarter-inch shorter (or measured better!) but so far I'm absolutely delighted.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Didn't wait for the steaks to arrive. Threw a big link of chicken sausage on the Grill Grates.

It is not often that a product lives up to its advertising hype, and the Grill Grates didn't.

They exceeded them! These grates are simply awesome. Perfect sear marks, meat cooked through but no charring, no flareups, no sticking, just perfect grilling.

BEST grill money I've ever spent.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Didn't wait for the steaks to arrive. Threw a big link of chicken sausage on the Grill Grates.

It is not often that a product lives up to its advertising hype, and the Grill Grates didn't.

They exceeded them! These grates are simply awesome. Perfect sear marks, meat cooked through but no charring, no flareups, no sticking, just perfect grilling.

Thanks for the report Rocky, you are one of the guys here that I trust.

Brother in Law loves to barbecue, this looks like a good birthday present!

john

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ordered a set for my Weber. Tired of flare ups.

Yup.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I'm just curious if you bought the cleaning brush that cleans between the grates? If you didn't I highly recommend it. After not much time stuff will start to build up and it can impart an off taste to what you're grilling. I tried a couple of different grill brushes before I broke down and bout the one made for them. It is completely worth the price IMO.
Grill Grate Brush.

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have not - yet. I think I'll see how the "fingered" spatula works first but I'm not averse to getting the special brush.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buy a pineapple and take the juice...soak your steak in it over nite .....drink your steak in the morning ....

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Buy a pineapple and take the juice...soak your steak in it over nite .....drink your steak in the morning ....

it would be an unfair advantage if you had a grill grate

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I continue to be impressed with the Grill Grates. Did salmon fillets and portobello 'shrooms last night. Grates were uniformly hot front to back (as opposed to the cold area I always had with the OEM grates.) Hood temp was 400° and my IR thermometer said the grates were 625° to 575° Started the salmon flesh side down - something I had never dared to do before. Sizzle for two minutes, turn 45° for two more minutes. Then, THE test: slid the fingered spatula underneath, and both fillets flipped with NO burned edges, no sticking, and no lost meat. WOW! Two more minutes (total six) and they were cooked through and perfect. The mushrooms also came out perfect, cooked through with no burned edges and once again perfect grill marks.

Wife said both were the best ever off the grill.

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I continue to be impressed with the Grill Grates. Did salmon fillets and portobello 'shrooms last night. Grates were uniformly hot front to back (as opposed to the cold area I always had with the OEM grates.) Hood temp was 400° and my IR thermometer said the grates were 625° to 575° Started the salmon flesh side down - something I had never dared to do before. Sizzle for two minutes, turn 45° for two more minutes. Then, THE test: slid the fingered spatula underneath, and both fillets flipped with NO burned edges, no sticking, and no lost meat. WOW! Two more minutes (total six) and they were cooked through and perfect. The mushrooms also came out perfect, cooked through with no burned edges and once again perfect grill marks.

Wife said both were the best ever off the grill.

pics or it didn't happen

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A bit late for that, ya know.

But I just got an email saying my Dad's Day gift will be from Oh my jaw Steaks. I promise to take a few pics of the result.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
723 members (204guy, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 75 invisible), 2,947 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,770
Posts18,401,519
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.