Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
At home not much, but it's all I cook on for SCA competitions. They are the real deal!
[Linked Image]

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks! This is the year I planned to replace my grill bars and flame tents, anyway. These sound great.

Ordered them, by Golly.

Last edited by RockyRaab; 06/08/19.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Since I got my first pellet grill about 3 months ago, I've cooked something on it about 3 times per weekend with at least one of those weekend cooks using my Grill Grates. Right now I'm going to use it the "conventional" way for the first time instead of flat side up for a full sear.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Mike , do you phosphate, either in competition or at home?

What temp do you like the grate to be when you start cooking?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, I use the phosphate from Butcher BBQ in comps and at home. There is nothing better that I've found to tenderize rib eyes, or any other steak for that matter. I mix 16 oz. of beef broth with 1/4 cup of phosphate and marinade the steak on each side for 30 minutes. Be really careful because any longer than that and the steak can fall apart. I cook at a grate temp of 650* - 700* for about eight minutes. Two, turn, two, turn, you get the picture. The only thing that sucks is that for SCA your steak has to be cooked to medium, which I really find mentally hard to do!!

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
What the fugg is that?

Sounds a bit wonky to me.....

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think I just learned how the steak in some restaurants is so tender, almost soft, it just doesn't seem right. Ponderosa comes to mind.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Better beef by chemistry eek

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Better beef by chemistry eek

No chit.......most of what BH said went over my head but I did get the phosphate part.....

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
What the fugg is that?

Sounds a bit wonky to me.....

In SCA competitions the steaks are scored on appearance, doneness, taste and tenderness. The steaks are always supplied by the contest so other than knowing they will always be rib-eyes the quality of the meat is all over the board. Almost everyone uses phosphates or papaya juice to tenderize since beating on them with a Jaccard or a fork flattens them out too much. Most all competition bbq teams use phosphates in some form to inject their briskets.

Mike

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Proving once again that cooking competitions are pretty far from the real world. I don't know about you but I'd not want to eat some chemical that dissolves meat. Nor would I serve any such thing to guests.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I guess lime juice will tenderize meat.

Piapin(sp?) Is used too.

From papaya I think.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Must be the "solution" that the big packers are injecting too.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Proving once again that cooking competitions are pretty far from the real world. I don't know about you but I'd not want to eat some chemical that dissolves meat. Nor would I serve any such thing to guests.

Yes, I agree, they are very far from the real world. You have to remember the judge is taking one bite so if you don't impress him you're sunk. I don't use phosphates at home on steak, because I don't have too. At home I get to select my steaks form the store. However, I always use it on brisket and anyone that has used a commercial brisket injection has too. There is no way I could eat even half of one of my competition steaks as they are WAY too salty. Same goes for competition bbq. With all of the rubs, butter, injections and sauces most people would be sick as a dog if they made a whole meal of it.

I'm sorry I answered gunzo's question. I feel like now I've been taken to food court and found guilty of poisoning people. LOL!! smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

^^^This^^^

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR

Yes, I agree, they are very far from the real world. You have to remember the judge is taking one bite so if you don't impress him you're sunk. I don't use phosphates at home on steak, because I don't have too. At home I get to select my steaks form the store. However, I always use it on brisket and anyone that has used a commercial brisket injection has too. There is no way I could eat even half of one of my competition steaks as they are WAY too salty. Same goes for competition bbq. With all of the rubs, butter, injections and sauces most people would be sick as a dog if they made a whole meal of it.

I'm sorry I answered gunzo's question. I feel like now I've been taken to food court and found guilty of poisoning people. LOL!! smile

Dont sweat it.

Its a world we apparently know nothing about.

Still interesting.

I suspect when the big packers inject a solution to make the ribs Extra Tender....its phosphate, sugar and water.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No worries I was just joking. I know a lot of them inject a sodium solution, but I'm not sure about phosphates. The way it softens fat if you packed it in too high of a percentage it might just make the meat way too soft. I don't know a huge amount about phosphates other than there are edible and non-edible types. The Butcher BBQ stuff I use has two ingredients. Sodium phosphate and papain from the papaya.

https://butcherbbq.com/product/bbq-phosphate-tr/

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by sse

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Sorry I hung you out there bowhunr, it wasn't my intention. But thank you for answering.

As far as the GG goes, a few thousand competitors surely aren't all wrong. They work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (160user, 1minute, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 66 invisible), 3,219 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,533
Posts18,452,957
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.