Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It was an interesting read thanks for posting that.

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Pretty interesting. Don’t sleep naked, good advice.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
I once had a job working on the White River Apache Reservation (Fort Apache) - I cannot describe it was almost supernatural looking around to the horizons and realizing how much history happened there...

Like Sam Houston, I will vote for what is best for ME in 2020.
Texans read their Bibles to find what they want it to say, and are blind to what it actually says...
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Quick_Karl
I once had a job working on the White River Apache Reservation (Fort Apache) - I cannot describe it was almost supernatural looking around to the horizons and realizing how much history happened there...

Are you native?

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
well i'm only 23% apache so i'll only scalp that much while you sleep.... lol

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
mangus colorado is a well known name in arizona, killed by the walker party.

http://prescottazhistory.blogspot.com/2015/03/the-death-of-mangas-colorado-greatest.html

i enjoy reading this blog, as a lot of the ground is familar to me. Geez took me a while to remember where battle flats was where the prospectors lived.
virgil earp had a ranch not to far from walnum grove mentioned.
I know my dad said when he was running cattle in the bloody basin area in the 20's, you could still see skeletons laying on the ground.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by Jcubed

Are you native?

No - I am the most white-bread honky you will ever meet! But I loved that job on that land - wish it never ended. Had the best friends a man could ask for there too.

Texans read their Bibles to find what they want it to say, and are blind to what it actually says...
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
mangus colorado is a well known name in arizona, killed by the walker party.

http://prescottazhistory.blogspot.com/2015/03/the-death-of-mangas-colorado-greatest.html

i enjoy reading this blog, as a lot of the ground is familar to me. Geez took me a while to remember where battle flats was where the prospectors lived.
virgil earp had a ranch not to far from walnum grove mentioned.
I know my dad said when he was running cattle in the bloody basin area in the 20's, you could still see skeletons laying on the ground.

Great posts, Ron. Having lived in Arizona 30-years, and lived in Payson for 5, and been a pathological reader my entire life, I am familiar with the areas and the stories. Great to read some again, and read some I hadn't before.

I would give anything to be back there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, Ron - good stuff. I've had a smattering of ignorance about that area and learned some interesting aspects from visiting at times with the former Chieftess of the Yavapais in Prescott/. So, the historic nature of the Bloody Basin area always was somewhere in my thoughts when hunting over there. I learned that from hunting camp in there a guy can be selective and bag either Mule Deer or Coues without traveling real far from camp.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
long time ago the top maps reflected known indian ruins. i had a client that had an early one, easy to superimpose a new one and mark the ruins. next few years i went to most of them in the now aqua caliente national park north of phoenix.
there is some interesting stuff up there.

my father had a ranch in the 20's with an uncle in the bumble bee area, and ran cattle in the bradshaws and bloody basin area.
in there many times and still haven't found everything i would like to see.
i have found bones peaking up around some of the ruins, which were promptly reburied.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 06/07/19.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Too hot!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No - I am the most white-bread honky you will ever meet! But I loved that job on that land - wish it never ended. Had the best friends a man could ask for there too

Sorta pertinent re: recent conversations here.

Just yesterday a very much traditionalist Navaho guy who grew up on the Rez told me that all the Indians he knows voted for Trump.

Likewise there's a longhair Apache guy I have known for years, taught his kids, one of them guys who purposefully raised his kids AWAY from the Rez tho they return there every year. After the last election he says to me "you voted for Trump didn't ya?"........ then he smiles sorta sheepishly and said "me too...."

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Birdwatcher, not sure if I asked you, have you ever read Plenty Coups - Chief of The Crows?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Birdwatcher, not sure if I asked you, have you ever read Plenty Coups - Chief of The Crows?

Many moons ago, back in college. I would pretty much start at one end of the "Native American" section in the college library, and over the months work my way clear to the other end. I'm recalling three biographies of individual Absarokas (Crows).... the Plenty Coups book, a woman called Pretty Shield, and one about an average Crow warrior called Two Leggings. The one about Two Leggings impressed my the most.

But hey, anything ya wanna know about the Prairie Potawatomie (an actual tribe from Wisconsin out on the Southern Plains) I'm your guy....

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Anybody read Empire of the Summer Moon by S.C. Gwynne, or Crazy Horse and Custer by Ambrose? Both excellent books, which give some insight into those time periods. Another great one, which is based more towards earlier times in eastern US, is The Frontiersmen by Allan W. Eckert. That one I listened to on Audio Book.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I've had a copy of Plenty Coups for years. Read it a couple of times. A very interesting book and interesting man.

A good friend of mine lives in Prescott. He loves western history and exploring out in the country around Prescott. He says things can get quite spooky our there in the nighttime.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Surviving Conquest" by Bratz is a good book. helps untangle the Yavapai from the Western Apache. Growing up in Arizona, you mostly hear Yavapai-apache like it is one word. Was never quite sure if they were a special kind of apache, or a whole different tribe, or two tribes.

It's complicated....

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

I've had a copy of Plenty Coups for years. Read it a couple of times. A very interesting book and interesting man.

A good friend of mine lives in Prescott. He loves western history and exploring out in the country around Prescott. He says things can get quite spooky our there in the nighttime.

L.W.

i am not sure how i would define spooky, since i was born in prescott and father, grandfather there since the late 1800's. I was prowling the wood all over by age 11 with a rifle strapped to my tote goat, and later honda. Lots of camping and so on.
However people are generally not aware today of the savagery and butchery that took place very near prescott, and central arizona.
there is a road leading down to skull valley, iron springs rd, where a few miles down was where i officially got lost at night chasing rabbits for the first time. It's near the walker ranch. and also a place where about 12 or so white people got butchered a long time ago.
I think of that every time i go by there.
those days are not so far ago. My 91year old sister died a few weeks ago. My mother and her lived at the grandfathers trading post at congress which was established at the turn of the last century, use to trade with the indians then all the time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 43 invisible), 2,675 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,506
Posts18,452,593
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.