Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
My son in law killed this ram in Rocksprings yesterday. I didn’t know they would interbreed. Anyone else seen that???

[Linked Image]

GB1

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Killed it with a 270 WSM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice looking ram, really like those spiral horns. How do they eat?

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
About like a piece of leather boot.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice!!

Molon Labe
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Rocksprings has species unknown to man with all the brought in stuff...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco

laugh

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

A guy named Thompson Temple been breeding Rocky Mountain Bighorn sheep with Mouflon sheep on his ranch near Camp Wood, TX. Nice looking animals. I took my grandson there on his first hunt and saw the results, which are pretty impressive.

Mouflon/Bighorn Hybrid

Ram Hunts

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
They have interbred for as long as I have known them.

A ram might be boot leather, but good mutton off them is really good as long as the meat is hot. Let it get cold and the grease is a bit weird.

I'd take that meat over a quite a bit of other.

We were sent out one night to get a sheep for the gals at the house had screwed up and ran out of meat for the hunters. They were beyond excellent cooks and to me the sheep was going to be better than the beef had been. Thunderstorms and all, all we could find, no sheep, but blackbuck does... boy did we get chewed out when we got back that night. Never mind we had driven for a couple hours looking..

They did ok with the blackbuck, covered it over with bell peppers enough... dang that sheep would have been outstanding.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can’t get horned up about these “hunts”...Yes, they’re a beautiful animal.

But, unless things have changed in the last 25 years when I made a mistake going along on a Mouflon hunt in West Texas where I was told we’d be hunting them. Turned out to be 2600 acres of fenced flown in pets to shoot. Wasn’t hunting to me...

Educate me...Is it still the same game of drive around, see them, jump out, shoot one, take hero pics, and head back to the lodge?

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Out here we have Mouflon and Feral Sheep crosses. (Ovis Musimon x Ovis Aries). The mouflon were purposely crossed with the ferals in the hope that the hybrids would have less destructive browsing habits. I don't think that worked out as planned. What do you believe that mouflon is crossed with?

I think that Mouflon crosses are common enough that there are folk that are claiming that there are very few pure mouflon in the world and were challenging the record books as a result.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

If you have it ground with beef suet and turned into sausage, my dog would eat it!

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Beaver10

But, unless things have changed in the last 25 years when I made a mistake going along on a Mouflon hunt in West Texas where I was told we’d be hunting them. Turned out to be 2600 acres of fenced flown in pets to shoot. Wasn’t hunting to me...

Educate me...Is it still the same game of drive around, see them, jump out, shoot one, take hero pics, and head back to the lodge?

😎

He hunts out of a stand, was pig hunting when ram came up.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
They have some nice Aoudads on that place also. Dall, Jacobs, Mouflon, Corsican, Axis too.

Last edited by hanco; 06/08/19.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Beaver10

😎

Same here. I have hunted Mouflon ( at least as pure as you can find these days) and they were good game to hunt, spooky as hell.

These other "rams" that Ive seen in Texas are by far the stupidest animals ever, with the "four horned" variety taking the cake.

Aoudad are great game, these semi-domestic versions...not so much.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Looks like that ram has allot of Barbado in him to me. That is a domestic breed that will cross breed with any sheep species it can. With less ranchers running sheep in that area more of these Barbado crosses are around now. The ranchers used to kill every one they could to keep them from cross breeding their good sheep. Allot of people mistake a Barbado for a Mouflon. They are better to eat than Aoudad in my opinion.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
They don’t excite me much, I kill every aoudad I see, bastards scare off the deer.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
They don’t excite me much, I kill every aoudad I see, bastards scare off the deer.

Very good practice. We kill every one we can. They breed like rats and way out compete the native game. Worthless freaking varmints as far as I am concerned.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Quien Sabe?

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Sausage is best use of Aoudad in my opinion. The small ewes and lambs are allot better to eat than the rams.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

400 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 38 invisible), 1,902 guests, and 1,052 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,671
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.