Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I did a lot of load development and accuracy testing with my new 6.5 PRC in the first few weeks of owning it and at around the 250rd mark accuracy fell off from consistently .5min to consistently 1.25.min. At first I suspected the scope, but nope, swapping it out with a proven scope yielded the same results. Barrel fouling was not it, as I stay on top of that.
Turned out to be .040" of throat erosion, so I seated the bullets out further to match the original .020" jump and accuracy immediately went back to .5min (or less)
Does this seem excessive to anyone? I am at rd. count 347 now and all is still good...
How about it MuleDeer; ya got any theories? I can't say that I have ever seen this happen so suddenly before. Rifle is a Fierce Fury with a McGowan barrel. Thanks fellas

BP-B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Since I bought a bore scope I have changed my thought process more to a throat firecracking than to eroding, cant imagine the lands moving out .040" with a 6.5PRC

But then by far the worst custom barrel I have ever owned was a Mc Gowen

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by CaveTrout
I did a lot of load development and accuracy testing with my new 6.5 PRC in the first few weeks of owning it and at around the 250rd mark accuracy fell off from consistently .5min to consistently 1.25.min. At first I suspected the scope, but nope, swapping it out with a proven scope yielded the same results. Barrel fouling was not it, as I stay on top of that.
Turned out to be .040" of throat erosion, so I seated the bullets out further to match the original .020" jump and accuracy immediately went back to .5min (or less)
Does this seem excessive to anyone? I am at rd. count 347 now and all is still good...
How about it MuleDeer; ya got any theories? I can't say that I have ever seen this happen so suddenly before. Rifle is a Fierce Fury with a McGowan barrel. Thanks fellas

What bullets were you using? Were they all from the same lot#. Sometimes you get variations from lot to lot...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Yes, all bullets used in this development were the same lot #

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
McGowan steel has nothing to do with this issue. You are shooting a lot of powder.

Now you start to understand the importance of throat geometry on a new chamber(reamer design), Max OAL of magazine, plan accordingly.

Measure your leade growth on a regular basis.

IC B2

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thanks Keith,
This rifle has a long action, so seating depth is not a problem.
The 147gr Eld-m is what I'm shooting mostly, but the 140 NoslerPartion is working great as well, which will be my primary hunting load with this rifle.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by keith
McGowan steel has nothing to do with this issue. You are shooting a lot of powder.

Now you start to understand the importance of throat geometry on a new chamber(reamer design), Max OAL of magazine, plan accordingly.

Measure your leade growth on a regular basis.

Yep. I'd be interested to see how the PRC compares to the creedmoor in that department. I'm thinking the PRC is going to be more like the old 264 winchester though. My Creed has burnt its throat back .025", but after 1,140 rounds downrange....and that is a cheap azzed rough savage barrel to boot...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
bsa,

The PRC has just about exactly the same powder capacity as the 6.5-06, so I doubt it will burn throats anywhere as fast as the .264.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
bsa,

The PRC has just about exactly the same powder capacity as the 6.5-06, so I doubt it will burn throats anywhere as fast as the .264.

You know powder capacity is only part of the equation. Neck length also comes into play. If the op is correct about how much his throat has erroded, it seems like a barrel burner to me. As is/was the 264... If someone has done a side by side comparison between the 6.5 PRC, Creed and 264WM, I'd like to see it... This info is also intriguing as well because I have a 7WSM sitting idle, that a friend keeps telling me I need to turn into a 6.5 PRC. I'm still weighing the pros and cons...

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Looks like that happened a bit early. I have a 26 Nosler and have a Hawkeye borescope.

After 500 rnds I see some throat erosion but the gun still shoots half MOA. I would think the 26 Nos would eat a barrel faster than the 6.5 PRC. Mine has a Shilen SS.

DF

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
bsa,

Yes, powder capacity is only part of the equation, Longer necks help, but shoulder angle has a major effect. The 6.5-06 has a .321" long neck, but the relatively shallow shoulder angle directs hot gas in FRONT of the case mouth, which also has a major effect on throat erosion. In fact, it's why the .243 Winchester tends to fry throats quickly: The shoulder angle directs gas in front of the case mouth.

The 6.5 PRC's neck is .272" long, but the should angle directs gas just inside the case mouth. (The. 264's neck, by the way, is .254" long.)

My 6.5 PRC has almost 200 rounds through it and through my Gradient Lens Hawkeye there MIGHT be a a very slight amount of erosion on the sharp edge of the chamber just in front of the case neck. But there's none in the throat itself, much less the rifling.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thanks all for your wise input- it appears to have settled down and in the last 130rds or so I haven't been able to detect any change.......Because I didn't want to roast it out in a year I've went back to the Creed and a new SuperGrade 70 in the grand ole .30/06 to satisfy my shooting addiction. John was right as usual about the 185 VLD and 58-59 grs. of Hunter,
A solid performer in both of my '06's. Thank you for that.....

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
So with these throat eater type chamberings, is the erosion rate linear throughout the barrels life? Or is there a point at which the erosion slows? Just an S&G, curiosity type question.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Is it possible your measurement was off to begin with?

What powder and primers are you using?

Rate of fire?

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Don't think the original measurements could be off- I'm pretty anal about this stuff.
The best performing loads use RL-25 and MRP. As to primers, the best have actually been the old Winchester white box type that are marked " For standard OR magnum rifle loads"
Remember those? These I have had vac-packed and rat holed since the pervert (Clinton)
was in charge. Rate of fire is slow, with a lot of cooling time. I am new to the forums, but I am not new to hand loading or shooting little bug hole groups. It's just that in 40 yrs of doing this game I have never seen this before.
Now I have seen very rapid erosion happen to 3 barrels at the very end of their life- barrels that you expected to die some time back, but manage to hang on, and then suddenly you can't find the throats without a scope. Now you have a nice long tent stake.....

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by CaveTrout
Don't think the original measurements could be off- I'm pretty anal about this stuff.
The best performing loads use RL-25 and MRP. As to primers, the best have actually been the old Winchester white box type that are marked " For standard OR magnum rifle loads"
Remember those? These I have had vac-packed and rat holed since the pervert (Clinton)
was in charge. Rate of fire is slow, with a lot of cooling time. I am new to the forums, but I am not new to hand loading or shooting little bug hole groups. It's just that in 40 yrs of doing this game I have never seen this before.
Now I have seen very rapid erosion happen to 3 barrels at the very end of their life- barrels that you expected to die some time back, but manage to hang on, and then suddenly you can't find the throats without a scope. Now you have a nice long tent stake.....

To all the gun owners who don't support the 2nd Amendment protection groups:
You are getting very heavy...........

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
705 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 3,146 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,744
Posts18,401,246
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.