Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Kudu1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Hi ,I need help . I have been trying to make my T/C 50 cal. Bone Collector shoot groups at 100 yards with Remington 250 gr. Premier Accutips , 120 grs. Black Horn , Fed. blue box shot shell primers , Leo. 3x9 . I get two in a 3 in. group and the next one hits 8 in. away hi. . Any help would be appreciated .

BP-B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm wondering how you chose 120gr as the load?

Start at something less and work up to see what works in your rifle. It may not be the max possible load that shoots the best...

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by colodog
I'm wondering how you chose 120gr as the load?

Start at something less and work up to see what works in your rifle. It may not be the max possible load that shoots the best...

I had the same thought, Re-start your load development from 90.0 grains to 110 grains in "5 grain increments". IMO....powder charges over 110 gains is just not needed for whitetail.

If your so inclined.....try the T/C 200 grain shock-wave bullet packaged with the blue sabot. This bullet shoots 9 inched flatter at 200 yards than any 250 grain bullet and kills deer ..DEAD.

You can thank me later.

Doc

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ditto on too much powder. Start at 80-90gr with your chosen projectile, then work up to see how high you can go with that. If the starting loads are really bad as you describe, then you need another bullet IMO. How often you need to wipe your barrel will vary, but I want a load that lets me shoot at least three between wipes for hunting.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get some crushed rib sabots and toss the factories.

Somewhere between 90 and 110 grains of 209 should work.

My pro hunter shoots 105 of 209, crushed rib sabots, 250 Barnes TMZ or 250 shockwave into 1" +-, same point of impact

I dry patch between shots...

I use the yellow cr sabots, ones for boat tails, with the TMZ, and the black ones for the shockwaves

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
what Pappy said

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I am glad to see this posted, I am having the same problem with my bone collector.Pretty gun but shoots bad so it doesn't go hunting yet and I have been shooting the same load as my CVA load (which is great with this gun) and that could be the problem

110 gr of BH with a T/C maxi hunter with a Remington kleanbore 209 primer

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by hicountry
Get some crushed rib sabots and toss the factories.

Somewhere between 90 and 110 grains of 209 should work.

My pro hunter shoots 105 of 209, crushed rib sabots, 250 Barnes TMZ or 250 shockwave into 1" +-, same point of impact

I dry patch between shots...

I use the yellow cr sabots, ones for boat tails, with the TMZ, and the black ones for the shockwaves

That is probably a really bad idea considering the Accutip is not a true .451 or .452 bullet. Its a little smaller .4485 in. diameter. Using other 45cal bullets the Black Crushrib is a good choice for the T/Cs. The first thing that comes to mind here is that the first 2 shots are not nearly as bad as the third. That tells me the barrel is probably heating up. Its very common for 2 shots to be close but by the time the third is loaded the barrel is much warmer and accuracy really degrades.

Someone mentioned the 50x40 sabots. The MMP 50x40 sabot is likely very very tight in a T/C bore and 50x40 sabots do not play as well with hot loads. All the BC increase is worthless if you need to reduce your load too much to get them to shoot. There are few 250gr 45cals that can match the BC of the 200gr SST and there are MUCH better 40cal bullets available than the SST. Such as Fury Custom bullets for about the same cost. Around $44/50 plus shipping or $74/50 for the new tipped version. Both are bonded lead core which are not offered in the T/C or Hornady 40cals.

You are basically just wasting money on high BC at 150y or under shots. Go with what shoots good and retains enough energy for a clean kill at that range.

Best thing to do is get something cheaper to sight in and take your time.

Box of Hornady 45 250gr XTPs....they kill deer just fine too
2 Boxes of Harvester Black Crushribs
Start the load at 90gr and work up
Wait 15min or more between shots so the barrel has time to cool. Put it in the shade to help it cool down faster.

Last edited by Overkill45; 06/08/19.
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I had many problems with my 50 cal. Encore. It got much more accurate when I decided to clean the barrel every shot , make sure I had the same 8o gr. load and made sure the bullet was pushed down with the same force every time. I get 2" @ 50 yds with open sights and rarely a flier. I also get quite good results with my new TC Hawken with round balls if I keep the barrel clean and loads consistent.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Overkill45
[quote=hicountry]
Box of Hornady 45 250gr XTPs....they kill deer just fine too
2 Boxes of Harvester Black Crushribs
Start the load at 90gr and work up
Wait 15min or more between shots so the barrel has time to cool. Put it in the shade to help it cool down faster.

Got a bunch of those. They even work with sabots in my .54 Renegade. In general, I like the heavier ones, but they probably arent needed for Bambi.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I prefer the 300gr XTP also but the advice is based on getting the gun to shoot well first. The 250gr XTP costs less and will create less recoil yet its still adequate for the task. The list of 250gr bullets that are better is pretty large and just a simple bullet swap has a good chance of shooting well also. No real need at this point in spending $1+ per bullet just for paper.

Grafs has both the sabots and bullets. 100 shots total will cost $51.72 with shipping.

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Natchez has some sabots for 3 bucks a 50 pack.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by ihookem
Natchez has some sabots for 3 bucks a 50 pack.

Those are Knight sabots made by MMP and no clue which MMP sabot. They could be far tighter than the Harvesters if its a MMP HPH-12 sabot. Natchez wants the same price for the Harvester Black Crushribs and a little less for the XTP....compare the shipping though. Ive seen $15 from them when Grafs was shipping flat rate for $8 so it might be a wash. For me they want $12.60 for the same package Grafs will ship for $10.
Grand Total: $52.07

Check with Midsouth Shooters Supply also. Usually they have very good pricing and fair shipping.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Lordy Lordy!! crazy sleep

Even birds know not to land downwind!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I would first try wet swabbing the bore, then dry swabbing, after each shot for 3-5 shots, and then duplicate without scrubbing it.That will help cooling too. That will help eliminate the problem if that is the cause.

Then I would start over with loads , about 80-90 gr of BH209 working up in 10 gr increments. If you see any improvement bracket the best load + and- with 5 gr increment to tweak it in.. Make sure you are compressing the 209 the same every time and when seating the bullet,really push it down hard. 209 likes to have a very hard compression
If no success I'd be looking into different bullets. Even one like the Powerbelt without a sabot.

Also with the sabot's you need a plastic bore solvent along with your regular solvents.
Like others though, I think your problem is too much powder

Last edited by saddlesore; 06/09/19.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Ive never had to swab with BH209 even in my tightest bores. Never needed a dedicated sabot solvent either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Might be the modern version of "Seasoning the Barrel".😛

I buy my Crush-Ribs direct from Harvester. The local stores really mark them up; about $12 or so, last I looked, which was several years ago.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Ive never had to swab with BH209 even in my tightest bores. Never needed a dedicated sabot solvent either.

Different barrels,different problems.What works for you might not work for others.What I suggested will cover most problems encountered. Each one singularly may or may not be a problem.. Some rifles shoot better with a fouled bore, some need clean. Some have rough enough bores that plastic from sabots build up just like cooper or lead fouling and regular solvents won't clean it. Some rifles of the same make and model will shoot well with a heavy load,some won't. Some rifles will shoot a particular bullet well and another of the same make and model won't. BH209 always shoots better when the bullet is seated with more force than say 77, Pyrodex or BP.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Might be the modern version of "Seasoning the Barrel".😛

I buy my Crush-Ribs direct from Harvester. The local stores really mark them up; about $12 or so, last I looked, which was several years ago.

Cabelas is $9.99/50 for the Crushribs. If you are ordering online then Harvester direct is expensive. They are $9.47/50 or more and $8.32 shipping ....OUCH!!!

Originally Posted by saddlesore

Different barrels,different problems.What works for you might not work for others.What I suggested will cover most problems encountered. Each one singularly may or may not be a problem.. Some rifles shoot better with a fouled bore, some need clean. Some have rough enough bores that plastic from sabots build up just like cooper or lead fouling and regular solvents won't clean it. Some rifles of the same make and model will shoot well with a heavy load,some won't. Some rifles will shoot a particular bullet well and another of the same make and model won't. BH209 always shoots better when the bullet is seated with more force than say 77, Pyrodex or BP.

Not really your advice is to send more $1.50 a pop bullets down range with new cleaning methods that just dont hold water. Ive shot many 5 pound bottles of the stuff through at least 4 brands of rifles. Swabbing has never been an issue when using Blackhorn. Number 1 cause/s have always been poor sabot fit and not waiting long enough between shots.

Regular solvents/cleaners wont clean sabot residue?...Obviously you never tried really hot water and a bore brush. JBs or Montana Xtreme bore polish. Sabot residue to the point of causing accuracy issues is exceedingly rare with modern sabots. Typical cleaning each outing and a good scrubbing a few times a year with something like JBs is all most of us need unless you blow a sabot. You wont even be on paper at 100 yards if you blow a sabot.

BTW dont tell the majority of inline match winners at Friendship they must have some magical seating pressure and tight projectiles to shoot awesome groups. Most are using sabotless and conicals that are no where near as tight as most sabots. Firm, consistent and repeatable just like any other powder.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
45 cal hornady xtp (250 or 300gr), black crushed rib, 100gr by volume blackhorn 209.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
657 members (257_X_50, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,948 guests, and 1,392 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,668
Posts18,399,405
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.