Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Oh, indeed a Lyman 57 or 48 if going the receiver sight route.. (Huge props if you choose the 48 too.)

Bolt handle? I agree that forging the military handle always leaves it kind of short. If you go to the trouble of welding on a new handle, why not go whole hog and do a classic Oberndorf-style handle since your cutting and welding anyway?

Cocking knob sight? OMG yes! Absolutely the coolest sight of all for a classic iron-sighted bolt gun.

Stepped barrel? The Germans had no problem with using stepped barrels on sporters all along. For some reason we Americans have an aversion to them and I don't understand why. I have a brand new unchambered Lothar Walther barrel in 7mm that is stepped, waiting for just the right gun to come along to use it on.

If Stalin wasn't busy breaking the back of the Wehrmacht on the Eastern Front thus tying up like four or five times the number of divisions arrayed against us in western Europe, we would still be waiting for a chance to invade France.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
We got in a box of junk one day a customer brought it. Gun parts, cleaning stuff, junk. Appeared to be the leftovers of some poor old geezer that bought the farm and widow was cleaning out the shop. Employee from downstairs bring it up and says the boss told me to tell you to go thru all this old crap and run any of the gun parts into stock and use the cleaning gear in gunsmithing.

I start going thru box an low and behold there’s a Lyman # 48 for a Mauser in it! Like new! I snatch it up. At closing I go downstairs and ask boss how much. He says $25. Its the one on that photo of the Oberndorf "B" I posted in the custom thread.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 06/11/19.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Armstrong sights would be another option. They come up frequently on the bay.

M
MTDan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
To answer a couple things so far

1.bold handle- I think I'll leave it be for now. If I reweld one, it will be the swept back FN style. It just seems fitting on an FN rifle, and honestly I like it better than the oberndorf. I think Husqvarna 640s with the swept back full round knob (not flattened on the bottom) are the perfect bolt handle.

2. Finish- leaning towards satin ceracoat still. Open to ideas though

3. Barrel- looking hard at a rebore. I don't mind the steps, and then the barrel will remain serialized to the receiver

4. Sights- really liking the Redfield 70 like on my .270. I prefer it to the Lyman 57. No experience with the Lyman 48, but they seem a lot more expensive and not much better for my purposes.

I could use advice on a few more things. Does anyone have a suggestion to restore the factory markings? They're worn pretty shallow now.

I'm thinking of having the front receiver ring flatteded/grooved and textured. I'll try to post a pic of what I mean, but just to matte the sighting plane. Any ideas or suggestions how to do that?

I'm wrestling with the trigger. I like the idea of a super solid original Mauser trigger. BUT.... my Timney breaks so nicely. It's the devil on my shoulder.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Slow rust blue...
The only way to fly and you can do it yourself at home......

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
IC B2

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Yep, if ya want a classic build, go with a classic finish......at home

http://www.rustblue.com/

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by WTF
Yep, if ya want a classic build, go with a classic finish......at home

http://www.rustblue.com/

Thanks for link!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 338Rules, 16penny, 907brass, 13 invisible), 1,189 guests, and 815 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,057
Posts18,463,234
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.