Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Looking for something not too heavy and possibly semi auto.

She does not do well with recoil but maybe shooting at waterfowl will remove the sensation of recoil for her like it does for me.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
If she is recoil sensitive, you do not want a light gun. And the idea that shooting at game will make her "forget" about recoil is foolish; one always recognizes recoil - at the subconscious at the very least.

The softest shooting semiauto shotgun would probably be a pre-1977 20 ga Remington 1100 as they were built on a 12 ga frame. I would look for a 3" magnum model as that would allow a greater variety of options to use.

In a current production gun I am not sure what is available. I would lean toward a Beretta with the "Kick-off" recoil system as the ones I've shot were very easy on the shoulder, at least with heavy target loads. If that would carry through with heavy hunting type loads I don't know from first hand experience. Some of these systems are optimized for target loads and one does not see the same benefit with heavier loads.

As for gauge with one of these, I might opt for a 12 ga for load choices and possibly less recoil. A 20 ga will be lighter so one may see as much recoil with a 20 as a 12 in some cases. One could add weight to the 20 to get less recoil but the availability of loads can be a problem. If you are comfortable to reload steel or other nontoxics then a 12 ga would be the way to go, hands down.

A 12 ga is the way we went for my wife, a 1 oz reload of steel at ~1400 fps worked well for ducks over decoys in fields as well as for pheasants where nontoxics were required.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
20 ga Benelli Montefeltro

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
That Montefeltro is a good choice, but if you want to save some money, you might check out the Franchi Affinity 3. I bought one last Christmas for one of my grandsons, and he shot it so well I had to shoot it, when I did I went back and bought me one in black/synthetic. They will take 3" shells, if you can get her to wait until they cup, put those wings in reverse, and drop those feet, she might get one coming, and one going.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
20 ga 1100, 3 inch as woodmaster said. sweet shooters and not too expensive.

IC B2

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Franchi Affinity Catalyst is built for women. It has a reduced length of pull, a high comb and a little toe out to fit their shoulder pocket more comfortably. There's also the Syren line semi-auto built for women. Basically, these are all reduced length trap stocks. Benelli and Remington have models with changeable length of pull and replaceable combs. If I weren't sure how much she'd participate I'd look at a synthetic Beretta A300. The stock comes with spacers and you can strap on a comb riser from various vendors. The A300 will cycle very light target loads and as heavy a duck load as you can stand.

Recoil-wise, your options are a heavy gun, a recoil abatement stock or sub-gauge with high dollar tungsten shells. It's hard to convince anyone what a 28gauge or .410 will do with #10 tungsten, but it works and can be used in a very light recoiling gun.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
R
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Mostly we hide in the bushes and shoot passing geese. Swans when we draw the permit.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I went through this with my daughter. Ended up with a 20ga Beretta 3901 and have been very happy. VERY reliable gun with soft recoil. The gun also has synthetic stocks, 3" chamber, choke tubes, etc. ALSO came as a youth model so it fit her (and my wife) right out of the box.

One thing to keep in mind with recoil and non-toxic loads......... Steel is light and kicks way less than the tungsten shot which is heavy. The expensive tungsten based shot is KILLER stuff, but it kicks more because it is a heavier. My suggestion would be steel for your regular waterfowl hunting, but switch to tungsten for the swans because of the size difference. You will be a little handicapped with the 20, but not much.

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
For the money, I think the Mossberg sa-20 is the best deal going. Even if you don't go with the Mossberg I think a 20 is your best bet. Most kids and woman I've shot with, shoot better with my twenties, There slimmer guns all in all, making for a more ergonomic platform for the smaller handed, smaller stature shooter. Fit and comfort do negate recoil to a degree. Just my two cents, I hope she ends up with something she loves to shoot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SBE 3. Its a 7# gun. Kent 2 3/4" 1 1/16oz of BBs or whatever you prefer. Wont kick bad at all, will kill geese plenty far. Good luck.

Last edited by 19352012; 06/04/19.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Fabarm syren series

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Mainly shooting geese.

A 12ga Rem 11-87 is worth looking into. Find a shotgun Smith that can fit the stock to her, properly.

Good fit will do wonders for perceived recoil and her success on hits.

Again, steel is lighter and will have less recoil.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
If recoil is the issue then you need to be looking primarily at gas operated guns and stay away from inertia driven and fixed breech guns. I love my SBE, but would never give it to someone who is recoil sensitive. Also, 20 gauges don't always recoil less than 12 gauges, sometimes they kick more.

A 12 gauge will simply out perform a 20 gauge with steel shot when dealing with pass shooting waterfowl. There won't be much difference between the two if you are shooting ducks coming into decoys at 30 yards or less. 20 gauges do tend to fit smaller framed people better. I highly prefer 16/20 gauges for upland for this very reason, and I don't identify as being small. The only way to know is to have her hold them and decide for herself.

The modern gas operated Berettas, Browning Maxus, Winchester Sx4, and the Remington Versa Max are all mild recoiling 12 gauges. Older Remington 1100s and 1187s are also mild kickers. Any of these would serve you well if the gun fits.

There are a few modern gas operated 20 gauges on the market as well, Browning Silver, and Winchester SX3/SX4. There are other modles out there as well.

The discontinued Franchi 620s and 720s are light, small in frame, and are very mild recoiling. When you can find them, they typically can be brought home for less tha $500.
I have one and highly recommend them.

One last thing, you don't need 3.5" shells for waterfowl. In my experience they just kick a crap load more, cost more money, take up more room in your shell bag, and don't pattern nearly as well as 2-3/4 or 3" shells.

Good luck.

Last edited by CarolinaHunter; 06/27/19.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
M1 Super 90 or the latest M2 model 26" barrel with the wood stocks for ease in shortening them for HER if needed. These Benellis have the adj wedges for drop at heel and are easy to shoot well. You said GEESE and SWANS and PASS shooting all add up to 12 ga. period. you asked. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter
If recoil is the issue then you need to be looking primarily at gas operated guns and stay away from inertia driven and fixed breech guns. I love my SBE, but would never give it to someone who is recoil sensitive. Also, 20 gauges don't always recoil less than 12 gauges, sometimes they kick more.

One last thing, you don't need 3.5" shells for waterfowl. In my experience they just kick a crap load more, cost more money, take up more room in your shell bag, and don't pattern nearly as well as 2-3/4 or 3" shells.

Good luck.

About as accurate as it comes right here.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
M1 Super 90 or the latest M2 model 26" barrel with the wood stocks for ease in shortening them for HER if needed. These Benellis have the adj wedges for drop at heel and are easy to shoot well. You said GEESE and SWANS and PASS shooting all add up to 12 ga. period. you asked. MB

You probably couldn't have made a worst suggestion. M1 Super 90's are my go to gun and they are great guns. But not for what the OP is looking for.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter

A 12 gauge will simply out perform a 20 gauge with steel shot when dealing with pass shooting waterfowl. There won't be much difference between the two if you are shooting ducks coming into decoys at 30 yards or less. 20 gauges do tend to fit smaller framed people better. I highly prefer 16/20 gauges for upland for this very reason, and I don't identify as being small. The only way to know is to have her hold them and decide for herself.

The modern gas operated Berettas, Browning Maxus, Winchester Sx4, and the Remington Versa Max are all mild recoiling 12 gauges. Older Remington 1100s and 1187s are also mild kickers. Any of these would serve you well if the gun fits.

There are a few modern gas operated 20 gauges on the market as well, Browning Silver, and Winchester SX3/SX4. There are other modles out there as well.

The discontinued Franchi 620s and 720s are light, small in frame, and are very mild recoiling. When you can find them, they typically can be brought home for less tha $500.
I have one and highly recommend them.

Good luck.

Great advice!!!!!!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Don't see it that way MCH, but expand on your rational on your dislike of that model MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The girl is recoil shy:

Recoil advantage goes to the gas operated offerings. Reduced muzzle blast, which adds to the cumulative effect of recoil goes to a longer barrel length to diminish blast. If the girl can handle a longer length it will also swing better for pass shooting. If she can’t then the shorter would be a better option.

Pass shooting doesn’t necessarily mean 12ga, if you set up so they pass closer. For a variety of reasons, it may be wise in this situation.

Beretta A400 with kickoff system.

As mentioned, Fabarm Syren for stock dimensions designed for women. The Fabarm also is on the heavy side. If she can handle it, you have another advantage in reducing recoil.

If she is not normal size then something is going to have to be done with LOP. Shooting an adult dimensioned shotgun with a smaller statured person does nothing to reduce recoil or improve hitting.

Last edited by battue; 06/27/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Don't see it that way MCH, but expand on your rational on your dislike of that model MB

The girl is recoil shy: This pretty much sums it up, well said Battue

Recoil advantage goes to the gas operated offerings. Reduced muzzle blast, which adds to the cumulative effect of recoil goes to a longer barrel length to diminish blast. If the girl can handle a longer length it will also swing better for pass shooting. If she can’t then the shorter would be a better option.

Pass shooting doesn’t necessarily mean 12ga, if you set up so they pass closer. For a variety of reasons, it may be wise in this situation.

Beretta A400 with kickoff system.

As mentioned, Fabarm Syren for stock dimensions designed for women. The Fabarm also is on the heavy side. If she can handle it, you have another advantage in reducing recoil.

If she is not normal size then something is going to have to be done with LOP. Shooting an adult dimensioned shotgun with a smaller statured person does nothing to reduce recoil or improve hitting

M1 Super 90's are not light recoiling shotguns. I think one of my M1's has over 200,000 rounds through it now. As for barrel being 26" there is no advantage to that once so ever. Longer will always swing smoother and reduce muzzle blast. The added length also helps with the sight picture.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

306 members (300_savage, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 32 invisible), 2,393 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,463
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.